1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Clean Flash

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Turnkeys, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Turnkeys

Turnkeys Lurker

I'm hopeing someone might have some advice flashing a new rom to the SGS2 (epic touch). I watched several of QBKing77's videos when rooting and flashing odin and they were immensely helpful.

I have 2 of these handsets. Since rooting and flashing EL29, I started seeing issues. (that I think stem from apps I tried and later uninstalled.) After trying Delayed Lock and uninstalling it, I saw inconsistent behavior with my screen lock not engaging reliably. I also get random reboots, usually when the battery reaches 30% (I've heard this described as a "kernal panic"), or when my signal strength (3G) is very low. I can't link this behavior with any single app I've installed.

So, simple answer, re-flash! Except I did that. Again, using QBKing77's excellent videos as a guide, I flashed ICS FF18 for the Epic Touch. After a nandroid backup, and separate backup of apps via Titanium, I tried the non-destructive package. This was unsuccessful enough that (if I recall correctly) I ended up unrooting, flashing stock EL29, then re-rooting and flashing FF18.

All kinds of ICS goodness. Except I still have unreliable lock screens and random reboots.

On my girlfriend's handset, running a rooted EL29, she has neither of these issues.

I'm considering a custom rom, perhaps CM9. I like the reviews and don't like Sprint's bloat. Does anyone know what step(s) I might be missing? Something is obviously surviving the flash(s) to persist this odd behavior. (and we both really hate the reboot-jingle now.)

Thanks much,

Turnkeys

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Forum

The Samsung Epic 4G Touch release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.52" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1800mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews