• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Clean installing Android 2.2 on the Xperia X10

This is my understanding. Root means allowing access to the OS as if you are a software developer (super user). In this way, you can install custom Roms other than the one provided by the manufacturer.

The problem is that manufacturers don't like you doing that. So, they restrict your access by creating a "firewall," the SPL (Second Program Loader). This is the actual software that permits the Rom to initiate. SPL is usually "perfected" when new. That is, it is impossible to crack it up to allow a user the privilege to install new Roms.

It has been my understanding, after reading tons of info from XDA and the related Wikis for HTC Androids, that developers sometimes find software vulnerability when a newer version of the SPL becomes available and thus are able to root the phone.

If you are interested in rooting this phone, please go to the XDA forum for X10 development. There is a thread in which various developers are trying to find a way to gain root access for this phone.

Although XDA is mainly a HTC forum, their knowledge about rooting is endlessly better than other forums because they have been at it longer than other. They started with the windows mobile systems.

Upvote 0
This is my understanding. Root means allowing access to the OS as if you are a software developer. In this way, you can install custom Roms other than the one provided by the manufacturer.

The problem is that manufacturers don't like you doing that. So, they restrict your access by creating a "firewall," the SPL (Second Program Loader). This is the actual software that permits the Rom to initiate. SPL is usually "perfected" when new. That is, it is impossible to crack it up to allow a user the privilege to install new Roms.

It has been my understanding, after reading tons of info from XDA and the related Wikis for HTC Androids, that developers sometimes find software vulnerability when a newer version of the SPL becomes available and thus are able to root the phone.

If you are interested in rooting this phone, please go to the XDA forum for X10 development. There is a thread in which various developers are trying to find a way to gain root access for this phone.

Although XDA is mainly a HTC forum, their knowledge about rooting is endlessly better than other forums because they have been at it longer than other. They started with the windows mobile systems.

Thanks for the quick reply. :)
Is something like Cook a Custom ROM . . :thinking:
I suppose this will void the Warranty? :(

Upvote 0
I have the x10 (NOT mini). as yous will well know it currently runs 2.1. I am just of the phone to sony ericsson who confirmed there is a planed update for the full x10 to android 2.2 in september but not an actual realese date so far and advised me to kepp checking there website in august, thus rendering rooting pointless. hope this helps

Upvote 0
I have the x10 (NOT mini). as yous will well know it currently runs 2.1. I am just of the phone to sony ericsson who confirmed there is a planed update for the full x10 to android 2.2 in september but not an actual realese date so far and advised me to kepp checking there website in august, thus rendering rooting pointless. hope this helps

Right unless you take a picture from any camera to show the phone has 2.1 no one will believe you and do you have a link to where you read sony ericsson confirmed 2.2 in the next month or so?

Upvote 0

Holy shit I hope your right :O this would be suave as ****!! I'm tempted to ring them Myself just to make sure you didn't get a noob at customer service who thinks 2.1 is the latest version as per how far behind SE are

Upvote 0

I want whateva novo2393's sniffin'

Upvote 0
Wow, so according to novo2393, SE is basically jumping right over 2.1 and going straight to the juglar with 2.2! I hope that is correct info, and if not, we need to hang novo up by his toes (LOL).. But man, if we had 2.2 by the end of Sept, it would rocket the X10 into the Super Smartphone, wouldn't that just make it all worthwhile! Heck give us 2.1 in Sep and then 2.2 in Oct. That would still remain an Awesome deal, yeah, I have high hopes for the X10. I mean lets face it, on AT&T the X10 is the king of the hill regarding hardware and the build quality. It's just the software that needs to catch up. Regarding Rooting. Heck No! I just got the phone, well actually later today, and I am not about to Void the warranty on a brand new phone. I mean if the phone was 2 years old and we were all ready for the 2 yr upgrade, than heck, why not. But that is not the case and so I wait!

Come on SE, show the owners your listening and making the Best Smartphone at the same time!

Upvote 0
Hi All. Just to stop all the confusion about the x10 and 2.2. I spoke to SE in the UK and was told that the X10 will get the 2.1 update. the customer service rep confirmed it will be 2.1 and not 2.2. and will be OTA before the end of September. All this info is for the UK and i dont know about the rest of the world.

But if SE release the 2.1 FW - its then passed onto individual networks to add there rubbish on it

So unless people have a generic branded phone...they will prob have to wait for their network to release the FW

i think that is how it works

also i dont beleive a word SE says until i actually see it - there full of BS if you ask me!

How many times did they put the release date back on the x10??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones