1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Clean Master is bloated!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RBEmerson, Jul 3, 2014.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Clean Master was a useful app when it came out. Now it's loaded with bloat. I'm following the World Cup on Fotmob - why does Clean Master tell me about the World Cup??? Its ads and "try this app" bloat are more than annoying. And, to end this vein-bulging rant, the way it counts memory and files cleared together makes it look as though CM is... I dunno... saving the world from the Trilateral Commission or some other evil and isn't it great for doing that! PUHleeze!

What's a good replacement for Clean Master?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Well, the ads aren't all that intrusive to me.
    But, I have been considering kicking it out the door....
    Used AVG free for a decade on everything else, including my previous 'S' phone, at least that didn't used to have any ads on it.

got a good joke for you. Installed AdBlock and then all I get is ads. Uninstalled adblock and the ads went away. used to be a good program on my PC. Now it is gone from there too.

I now use AdFender on my PC, it is great.

I also use NoScript which is an addin for FireFox... it is great. nothing runs unless you give it permission. That though can be a pain in the neck.

3. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    The ads are, compared to most apps, rather "in yo' face". But the real gripe is the reported actions (saved 250Mb!!!!) seem to be a mix of useful house-cleaning and ...ah... creative accounting? Bottom line: I don't trust it as much I did the earlier rev.s If I can't trust an app, why keep it? Hence the search for a replacement.

FWIW, if an app earns its keep, I'm willing to pay for useful add-ons and no ads.

4. phillyundead

phillyundead Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2012
    Male
    Dish washer/ Line cook in training @ german restau
    Philly
    I see no problems with the ads. They're not too bad. It's a free app so I don't mind. Root and block the ads on apps I'd you can't handle them. I use clean master for find my phone, cleaning junk and anti virus now. All three things in one app. Lookout took some features away for the free version so I dumped it.

5. icedtea

icedtea Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Male
    question is.. is Clean Master really helpful ? :) does it really clean "junks" on your phone?

6. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    There ya go - their statistics about what they did (or didn't) are wonky enough that I don't know what they really did.

7. Del1701

Del1701 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 15, 2012
    Driving Instructor
    Near Dartford, Kent
    I dumped it ages ago, all it kept doing was draining the battery horrendously on my nexus 7 and xperia z1, so now I haven't even considered putting it on my S5 ;-) Plus there were some serious questions about it's permissions and whether it was really a virus of some sort over on the clean master thread on XDA that were never answered by the devs so I've stayed well clear of it now.

Lizawaz likes this.
  8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I have tried others and always gone back to Clean Master.
    I have it on my S5 and it has never caused a battery drain issue.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.