1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support clean out more than cache?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sushifor5, Oct 10, 2011.

1. sushifor5

sushifor5 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    Mom, healer, writer, student midwife
    Northern Idaho
    I have been using CacheMate to clean the cache regularly, but I'm wondering if there is an app that will clean my caches and also clear other data like text messages and call history? i'm rooted.

I'm also wondering if the cache cleaner is actually getting all the data clear from every app on my phone? my system seems to be lagging and i cannot figure out why...i deleted one new app that i'd downloaded and i didn't get back the internal storage that it took up, nor a return to smooth speed i saw previous to installing it. and my market is being really slow, too...

i'd like to clean my system more aggressively and am not sure how, so am open to input. TIA!!

Advertisement

2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    App Cache Cleaner and History Eraser (also cleans call log etc) are two good ones.

I'm not really sure about deeper cleaning as I've not run into the laggy issue yet (knock on wood! lol). I think if I did though, Id probably just do a completely clean reinstall of the rom (where everything including my settings get wiped) and re-add back my apps in chunks of 5 at a time (fresh installs from the Market and not from backups). Run with those 5 for a day or so and if all is well, re-add 5 more etc etc etc. During this process though I would not add any custom themes.

sushifor5 likes this.
  3. syav

syav Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    A cache cleaner does not clear all data from an app, but u can do it manually.

If your phoηe lags, see if u can find out how much RAM is available. (That's Random Access Memory, not your phoηe's internal memory.) If mine gets below 50mb RAM, my phone can lag or even freeze. If I have youtube or camera/video player both running in the background, those apps can also slow down my phoηe.

AndyOpie150 and Petrah like this.
  4. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    OK, where do I find my RAM info? TIA!

5. syav

syav Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    There are several app on the Market that υ can try. I use Android Assistant. On my sample below, my Android Assistant shows that I have 182mb RAM available:
    [​IMG]

6. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Thanks! So in my phone's settings, under SD card and phone storage, is "Internal Phone Storage" something different than RAM? It says available space 128 mb.

Do I need a separate app to actually see my RAM? TIA!

7. syav

syav Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    RAM is not shown on Optimus V. I'm not sure about custom rooted phones. As far as I know, υ need an app from the Market to get your phone's RAM. I recommend an app that will show how much RAM each app uses on your phone. That way you can decide which app to exit/force close if your phone begins to lag. Obviously an app that uses a lot of RAM can slow down your phone. Keep in mind it is not necessary to use a task killer app to kill/force close a bunch of app all at once. When my phone lags, I only force close 1 or 2 app to get my phone back to normal.

sushifor5 likes this.
  8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    I was using this little tool to show the RAM, but the dev removed it from the Market and now it's in one of his other apps (an all in one tool thingy). I don't care for the tool app itself, but I have it just to check the RAM. I wish he wouldn't of removed the single app of that. :mad: I had been using it ever since I got my first Android (Intercept).... it does work on a non rooted phone.

Super Tool Box. The bit I use is the 3rd picture showing Mem/CPU.

sushifor5 likes this.
  9. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    In the screen shot the bottom number is the total RAM(or internal or system memory). The middle is the total RAM that is free(available). The top is the RAM that has been already used.
    For info on the actual usable system app memory(this is a partition in the system memory) I look in my App2SD app where it tells me the total allocated and what I have left.

The Quick boost frees up RAM and there is an option in the settings to do this automatically at an interval you can choose.

Petrah, syav and sushifor5 like this.
  10. syav

syav Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    I forgot about the auto boost. So many funtions on the Android Assistant, lol. Thanks for bringing that up! Think I'll give the auto boost a try. Hopefully it's not a battery killer, because I think it kills a bunch of running apps to free up RAM. Would be nice if the auto boost can be set once a day rather than every 3 hrs.

Tags: