1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

CLEAN UP BROWSER

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by DENNIS GRAVER, Apr 9, 2018.

1. DENNIS GRAVER

DENNIS GRAVER Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2018
    Hi.
    I have the Samsung S8 and I am using the Google browser on it. I have 8 items shown on the browser.
    Is there any way to REMOVE those items so the browser is nice and clean? I hardly use the phone so I
    use the cheapest package thru Straight Talk and that may prevent me from removing things.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Denny:thinking:

Advertisement

2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Do you mean Chrome?

3. Tony Woody

Tony Woody Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2018
    What do you mean by "items"? The save tab on the homepage? or the last visit site? I usually used the CCleaner to clean up my browser from any cookies. cache and also by utilizing the setting on the browser itself

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Go into your S8's Settings >> Apps menu, find the browser app you're using and open it, tap on 'Force stop', then tap on 'Storage' and then on 'Clear data'. This should return your browser app to its original, first-time-use state (any settings changes you made are returned to their defaults, saved bookmarks are gone, etc.).

You might want to switch to 'Firefox Focus'. It's a privacy-focused browser with integral content tracker blocking, and each time you quit the app it automatically deletes your browsing history, cookies, and passwords. So each time you use it you get a 'clean' session. But it's not for everyone as you cannot save any bookmarks, there's no syncing, no tab menu, no extensions/add-ons menu. It's just a Firefox browser (there's still good integral Javascript and HTML5 support) but without any extras.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.focus&hl=en
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/focus-firefox/firefox-focus-android

5. DENNIS GRAVER

DENNIS GRAVER Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2018
    Thank you SVIM. I will look into this.

6. DENNIS GRAVER

DENNIS GRAVER Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2018
    ITEMS: On the internet icon is a number 8. I assume that is the number of things that are open. I now have that reduced to 1 item and that is Straight Talk that I get my service thru so I doubt I can remove it. I will look into CCleaner. Thanks for the advice.
    Denny

7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    The number 8 probably means the number of active tabs in the browser. Like Chrome or Edge (my personal favorite), users can have - and keep - multiple websites open at once in different tabs. In your browser app, there should be an icon with the number of active tabs shown. Tap that, select "Close All" and BAM! They're all gone. Or you can swipe away whatever tabs you don't want anymore. I usually keep several tabs open out of convenience: but if bookmarks suit you, then you can close everything. You can also try DuckDuckGo, which is a browser/search engine that (a) only goes to one website at a time; (b) has a "flame" icon to instantly wipe data; and (c) NEVER sends any personal usage data out. Ever.

PitCarver likes this.