• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cleaning up my contacts, help!

gear.h34d.2012

Jun 2, 2010
Hey guys, hope all is well!

So I'm delving into customizing my EVO and thoroughly enjoying it. I have so many options I just don't know what to do with myself! I do, however, need some help. I made the mistake of linking my Facebook to my contacts when I first got my EVO, so my address book was a complete melting pot of mess (Facebook friends, imported contacts from my Blackberry, and others) and it absolutely drove me up the wall. I figured out how to unsync my Facebook, and I did.

I now have two problems. I imported all of my contacts from my Blackberry to my EVO and two things happened. Most of the numbers didn't come with them, and all of the pictures from my old berry did. Elsewise, this phone is still finding Facebook contacts and linking them with imported contacts. I'm going bananas.

I need to find a way to mass delete the low res contact pictures from my contacts, find a way to I guess "link" or find the numbers for all of these contacts, and a way to make this beautiful phone stop putting Facebook icons and low res pics on the people in my address book. :eek:

*deep breath*

Anyone have a system to do this? An app for it? Or is it really as bad as I think it is. . .Redo the entire contacts list?

Hey, I signed up just to respond so you don't end up pullin your hair out.

If you came from a blackberry - do you still have service on it? If so with the bb go to m.google.com download the google mobile sync tool. Sync up your contacts / calendar.

That will pull all of your data out and into a gmail/ google apps account for you to sync with your evo.

Regarding cleaning up the Evo. I am still looking for a good way to do this. Between my business Google Apps account, my personal Gmail account, Facebook, LinkedIN, Twitter, Etc I have about 7400 contacts. About 5800 of these are duplicates. Going through by hand on my evo and choosing "Link" on each one is a bit tedious.

Anyone have suggestions?

Upvote 0
I can't offer any "solution" to your BB issues...since I've never been a crackberryhead! However, I think it'll all be so much easier if you transferred EVERYTHING into your gmail contacts (phone number, addresses, email, altogether)

here is the reason...since android blends seamlessly with anything google (google's mobile O/S) you can clean up your contacts on your computer...before you sync up to ONE account...your google account. Everything should and will match up right.

Think your issue has to do with so many different accounts, and different formats of contacts. I had this issue coming from Windows Mobile...and synced up both my exchange info and my google stuff.

by the way...it was WAY easier cleaning up my contacts on the computer in gmail contacts...I had over 2000 (majority were duplicates)

Upvote 0
Just a heads up a very useful feature I found about Google Mail is if you log in to the website and go to contacts and now have multiple contacts because of facebook sync'ing, bump, whatever else.. you can click on multiple contcats and then it will allow you to merge them together painlesly .. cleaned up my contacts in all of 5 minutes

Upvote 0
I can't offer any "solution" to your BB issues...since I've never been a crackberryhead! However, I think it'll all be so much easier if you transferred EVERYTHING into your gmail contacts (phone number, addresses, email, altogether)

here is the reason...since android blends seamlessly with anything google (google's mobile O/S) you can clean up your contacts on your computer...before you sync up to ONE account...your google account. Everything should and will match up right.

Before I left my old phone, I synced my phone contacts and exported my hotmail contacts all over to gmail. From there, I did all my editing in gmail on my netbook. Once I activated the EVO, it automatically downloaded my new and improved contact list.

I am trying to add all my contacts in Google/Gmail so in case I switch phones or factory reset or something I can always sync them back to the new phone. I have few Just In Case contacts or emails only, which I don't need them in my EVO at all. Is there a way to exclude those contacts? Maybe create a group or something?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones