1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Cleaning up old app data on internal storage?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by John Redcorn, Jul 12, 2011.

1. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    I sometimes see directories/config files on my sd card from apps I unsinstalled. I delete these.

Are there any spots on the internal storage that have old junk like that the needs to be cleaned out?

I'm using an inspire non-rooted and es file explorer. I don't have a /mnt/emmc only things in mnt are sdcard, asec and secure. asec and secure look empty.

There's got to be somewhere I'm saving to. Like subsonic for example, I know what it keeps on the sd and it's only music, it has to be saving its config on internal, I did the config myself and the app isnt running as root so it should be something I could get to right?

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    In general, once you uninstall an app, nothing should be left in the phone's system storage space.

John Redcorn likes this.
  3. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    I find the opposite of that to be true. Many apps will leave their data on the card, so in case you want to reinstall the app, all the data is still there. I frequently have to go through my sd card and delete old directories.

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    You are correct about the SD card storage (internal or external). Howeve, I'm referring to the Android's operating system storage, where system files reside.

The OP acknowledged that the SD card has some stuff leftover occasionaly that he deletes. His question is more related to the Android operating system storage.

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    No. Data cleanup in internal storage means deleting and purging any data you don't actually need within your apps. Apps don't leave items in internal storage as they do on the SD card.

John Redcorn likes this.
  6. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I found the most effective method just a manual inspection of SD card folders. If I see a folder that is a leftover from an app, I delete it.