1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Clear explanation of memory and how to free it up?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by flyingdutch06, Apr 9, 2016.

1. flyingdutch06

flyingdutch06 Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2016
    Male
    Hello, I almost don't dare to ask, because I saw hundreds of similar messages all over the place about the "insufficient memory" message when you try to install an app. I also ran into this message a while ago and started searching for a solution. I read threads, forums, installed an app cache cleaner (after first uninstalling some other apps), installed LinktoSD, moved as much stuff as possible to my SDcard, but I still keep getting this dreaded message "insufficient memory". And I'm still puzzled between all the different numbers that I see on my phone. So here it goes :

Huawei G740 Android 4.1.2. Rooted. 32Gb SD card. My phone is "nearly empty". Gmail, FB and 3 or 4 more apps. No games or other unnecessary stuff.

When I look under "about phone" under settings I get:

RAM 1 Gb
    Phone memory 165 Mb free of 8 Gb total.

When I look under "storage" under settings I get :

Phone memory : 8 Gb
    Internal memory
    Total space 5,65 gb
    Apps : 1,53 Gb
    Musique etc. : 192 Kb
    Miscellaneous: 81.44 Mb
    Available: 4,59 Gb, 164 Mb for the applications

SD card : Total space 27,05 Gb, Available 25,88 Gb

So the first question that I ask myself: How much memory does my phone has? 1Gb? 8Gb? 5,65Gb?

I I look at all the above numbers, I say to myself : There must be at least 164 Mb free on my phone, so I should be able to install just about any app that is less than 50Mb. Well, that's not the case. ...

When I connect my phone to my PC and I look through the directories on my phone, I see 2 disks.
    Internal : Total 4,55 Gb, 130 Mb used, 4,42 Gb free. Looks to me that this disk is almost empty.
    SDcard (data) : Total 27 Gb , 1.16 Gb used, 25.8 free. Also as good as empty.

I finaly installed Storage Truth , who gives me these numbers

/system
    size 1009 M
    used : 815 M
    free : 193 M

/data
    size 1G
    used : 947 M
    free : 164 M

/data/sdext2:
    size : 2 Gb
    used: 802 M
    free 1 Gb

I would highly appreciate it, if someone could explain in simple terms what all these numbers mean and why I cannot install just about anything on an almost empty phone? And what to do about it..

Thank you

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to our AndroidForums, @flyingdutch06.

Have you had a read through this thread?

The fact that you were able to install the Storage Truth app is telling, though, since it indicates that you can indeed install some apps (albeit that is one with a very small footprint).

Anyway, have a read though the above thread--there's lots (and lots) of rabbit holes to follow and things to try / investigate (i.e., see the stackoverflow.com links in post #3 and the conversation I had with the member regarding post #22)--this is such a pernicious and elusive issue (with apparently many, many causes/reasons) that is difficult to pin down and solve.

Mikestony and mikedt like this.
  3. flyingdutch06

flyingdutch06 Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2016
    Male
    Hello, yes, I went through all of that. But it didn't solve my problem. Finally , I took the paid version of Link2SD for 2 bucks and I could move everything to my SDcard. problem solved.

PS: I have no relation whatsoever with Link2SD...

scary alien likes this.