• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Clearing AutoComplete on Web Address ?

cxxl

Lurker
May 12, 2011
Using Android 2.2 I cannot see how to delete/clear the suggested previous web site addresses on the web browser when entering a new address.. I have a previous "inappropriate" address that keeps coming up after a friend played with my phone :-( Yes, I have cleared browser history, cache & cookies. In phone Settings I have turned off predictive text and suggestions in the keyboard/language options, and I have no entries in the user dictionary.. where else could it be hidden and how can I remove it? :thinking:

Using Android 2.2 I cannot see how to delete/clear the suggested previous web site addresses on the web browser when entering a new address.. I have a previous "inappropriate" address that keeps coming up after a friend played with my phone :-( Yes, I have cleared browser history, cache & cookies. In phone Settings I have turned off predictive text and suggestions in the keyboard/language options, and I have no entries in the user dictionary.. where else could it be hidden and how can I remove it? :thinking:

Try

1. Settings
  2. Applications
  3. Manage applications
  4. Click the ALL tab
  5. Scroll to internet (and/or Google search)
  6. Click clear data

That should clear things up.

Upvote 0
I tried the method above, and it didn't get rid of the suggested autocomplete in the browser. There is no "Internet" item in the apps list, so I tried clearing the cache in the browser. This, of course, deleted my favorites list, but none of the autocomplete urls. Is there anywhere else these could be stored? It doesn't matter which browser I use. The same urls come up.

Upvote 0
I tried the method above, and it didn't get rid of the suggested autocomplete in the browser. There is no "Internet" item in the apps list, so I tried clearing the cache in the browser. This, of course, deleted my favorites list, but none of the autocomplete urls. Is there anywhere else these could be stored? It doesn't matter which browser I use. The same urls come up.

What device are you using and what version of the software are you using?

Upvote 0

The "clear data" button in the application manager for the browser is more powerful than than "clear cache," but both should be clicked (if not greyed out) in order to "start over" with the app. A shut down and power back up should be done as well.

Also, some browsers and other apps/widgets store persistent data on the SD card in a folder of its own, often with names that don't seem associated with the app. I've gone in via file managers and opened suspect folders, cleared them, rebooted and then looked again to find the removed data restored on some but still gone on others.. good luck trying that method. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones