1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Clearing RAM memory. Mine is always at .89 GB used

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by juruki, Dec 13, 2012.

1. juruki

juruki Lurker

Hi i just got my phone a couple days ago. A lot of galaxy using friends keep telling me I need to close all applications all the time to maximize my battery life. I thought closing them meant pressing the home button for a couple seconds and removing open apps from the list. Is that how you close them?
    Also i recently found via this forum a way of clearing my RAM memory. My ram is around 0.8~0.9 gb in use and whenever i clear it it says it closed 31 applications? What applications is it closing if i already closed all apps by long clicking on the home button before clearing my ram?

Thx for your time!

Advertisement

2. h1r0ll3r

h1r0ll3r Well-Known Member

It's weird. When I first got my Note 2, it was using around the same amount of RAM (around .8-1GB or so). Recently, it's been using around .5-.7GB which is odd since I haven't really changed anything.

The applications it closes are more actually background processes then actual apps. Odd stuff that you'd never notice similar to the processes Windows/Mac uses in the background to keep certain functions up and running. Holding the Home button for a couple seconds will bring up all the open apps currently running. Hitting the task manager icon on the bottom left will help you clear up and errant background processes running.

Morgus likes this.
  3. freshwater

freshwater Newbie

it gives u option to kill apps. very cool app.

4. Morgus

Morgus Member

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!!!

I also held the home button> task manager>ram> clear memory.

nsa_sailor likes this.
  5. Liam548

Liam548 Android Enthusiast

Is this necessary though? Surely you shouldnt have to keep doing this?

6. wyndslash

wyndslash Android Expert

I just looked at mine and it was using 1.5gb before I cleared the ram and now it's using 757mb

7. dwagner88

dwagner88 Member

You don't. Task killers are literally pointless unless an app actually freezes. The phone will free ram automatically as it needs to.

ScandaLeX, NightAngel79 and Rxpert83 like this.
  8. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Correct. Let android handle itself. In fact, don't even bother checking your free memory levels :)

Killing apps will actually HURT battery life. Don't do that :)

NightAngel79 likes this.
  9. You don't HAVE to do it but it will keep your phone running smooth and make your battery last longer.

Lets say you are walking around your neighborhood. Thats like your phone operating without any applications (no apps open in task manager and RAM cleared) and every time you open an app on your phone its like some one handing you a text book as you are walking, you would be able to walk like normal holding 2 or even 4 books, but the more books you have to carry the harder it becomes to walk. If you have a lot of books you will start to walk slower and probably start sweating. Then you will get too tired and drop the books all over. Probably making some librarian very sad.

Your phone is the same way. Each application is like another book added to the pile, t0o many apps at once and your phone will start to slow down and not be as responsive, maybe even freeze up. It will also make your battery drain faster from having to boost the CPU/RAM power to handle all the extra apps.

The less books on the pile the easier and longer you can walk. The less apps on your phone the longer and faster it will operate.

10. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Android Enthusiast

UGH!... these apps are not actually "running" They are not using CPU cycles. They are just lying dormant in memory for the next time they need to be accessed. If you are getting better battery life from killing them then you have an app that is not functioning properly or is using data in the back ground. In this case the app will no longer be able to collect background data. If you dont want it to be able to collect data in the background then turn off background data or go to the app settings and tell it not to update as often or not at all.

11. twister6

twister6 Android Expert

Try Fast Reboot app, not your typical task killer. You will not regret!

12. Morgus

Morgus Member

I agree in just letting the phone do its thing. BUt i like the quick access to kill apps when they do crash! This isn't android 2.0. It handles running processes very well.

13. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Yes, but your example isn't correct. Android would just put a few books down when there begin to get too many.

Bottom line
    Don't kill apps. It isn't good for the operation of the phone.

ScandaLeX likes this.
  14. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

And actually uses more battery because you are using clock cycles to kill apps that aren't hurting anything and then when the phone does require one of the apps or processes it's going to ramp your cpu again just to put them back into memory.

15. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

Still not necessary; especially on this phone.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews