• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Clicked on firmware update, stuck in Android System Recovery

stevepg

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Please help!

First off, I don't do anything unofficial with my Padfone 2, no flashing or anything.

I awoke this morning to see a "Firmware Update Available" notification on my Padfone 2. Every time I get these, I update without a problem.

However, this morning the update just restarted the phone and went to a screen with lots of small coloured text, one line of which said something like a file not found, update aborted. Then I got taken to an 'Android System Recovery' screen, small blue text.

My options are:
reboot system now (I have selected this a couple of times, it does nothing, brings me back to this screen)

apply update from external storage

wipe data / factory reset

wipe cache partition

apply update from cache

I just want my phone back. I do not want to wipe anything, I do not want to lose any data, it's full of pics and videos of my kids. I don't even want or need a firmware update. I only clicked update because it said 'We strongly recommend you update'.

Any ideas?

Please help!

Hey! I didn't update my firmware as you did but this is my problem:
When I Start up the phone i get the white "ASUS" logo for about 5minutes, then the animated "ASUS" logo, swiftly followed by "Encryption Unsuccessful".

Aside from the obvious body of text, simply telling me to perform a factory reset, there's a button at the bottom of the screen titled "Reset phone". If i click this, nothing happens.

I've tried powering off, holding down both the Power and the Volume button, wiping both the data and the cache (individually and together) but nothing changes. It's just taking me back to this "encryption unsuccessful" screen.
I really don't want to have to send this back to taiwan and after the saga that was getting the damn phone over to the Uk, i could really use some help with this matter.

Upvote 0
Hey! I didn't update my firmware as you did but this is my problem:
When I Start up the phone i get the white "ASUS" logo for about 5minutes, then the animated "ASUS" logo, swiftly followed by "Encryption Unsuccessful".

Aside from the obvious body of text, simply telling me to perform a factory reset, there's a button at the bottom of the screen titled "Reset phone". If i click this, nothing happens.

I've tried powering off, holding down both the Power and the Volume button, wiping both the data and the cache (individually and together) but nothing changes. It's just taking me back to this "encryption unsuccessful" screen.
I really don't want to have to send this back to taiwan and after the saga that was getting the damn phone over to the Uk, i could really use some help with this matter.

HI BUDDY I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY PADFONE 2 MODEL A68 ... I JUST WANNA KNOW IF YOU FIX YOU PHONE LET ME KNOW PLEASE AND THANKS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones