• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Clicking in browser address field causes current url to dissapear

ElWadster

Lurker
Oct 10, 2019
I used to be able to touch anywhere in the address bar of my browser and edit the text already in the field. Now when I click in the address bar the current text simply disappears, making it impossible to cut, copy, or insert text. This happens with chrome and brave. I am using Galaxy Tab A. Is there a setting that can be changed which will allow me to edit text in my browser's address bar? Thank You.

I used to be able to touch anywhere in the address bar of my browser and edit the text already in the field. Now when I click in the address bar the current text simply disappears, making it impossible to cut, copy, or insert text. This happens with chrome and brave. I am using Galaxy Tab A. Is there a setting that can be changed which will allow me to edit text in my browser's address bar? Thank You.

Google moved the option in one of the latest updates to chrome.

To use it now:
  1. Click the overflow menu at top right(3 dots).
  2. Click the info button(circled i)
  3. Long press on the url and you will get a popup saying "url copied".
  4. Go back to the chrome url bar then long press and paste and edit if needed.
I haven't gone through the settings to see if you can change this behavior.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, but not exactly what I'm trying to do. I'd like to click (touch) in the address bar, which used to cause a cursor to appear. Now all text disappears and the address bar is waiting for me to type something new.

I know what you asked and told you that google has changed that behavior and how to use the new method.

I prefer the old way also, but google does what google does.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones