1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Clock not updating and other strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by stuart12, Jan 24, 2016.

1. stuart12

stuart12 Lurker

Around the 13th January, my phone (Huawei Ascend G6, Android 4.3) has started behaving oddly. Usually, restarting it cures the problem temporarily but it seems to come back after a couple of hours. When it's behaving oddly:

- The clock doesn't update correctly. I was looking at the home screen yesterday and the main clock was showing 13:53 while the clock in the notification bar showed 14:03. The time was actually 14:14. (The internal clock is fine – if I restart the phone, both clocks show the correct time.)

- The screen blanks after a few minutes as usual, but normally it should lock a few seconds later. When it's behaving oddly, it doesn't lock.

- The buttons in the notification bar don't show the correct status. For example, if the wifi is on, the button is blue. If I tap the wifi button to turn it off and the Data switch button to turn it on, the wifi button remains blue and the Data switch button remains grey. But in reality, the wifi is off and the mobile data is on.

Up to the middle of last week, all of this was working normally. I've tried to Google things like “Android clock not updating” but haven't found anything relevant. I'm not aware of anything that changed last week to cause this but most of my apps are on auto-update. I've run a scan with AVG which doesn't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else got this problem – with this phone, with Android 4.3, with other versions of Android?

Sorry, long message but I'm not sure which parts are relevant and which are not!

Thanks.
    Stuart.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. stuart12

stuart12 Lurker

So I guess no-one has any suggestions...? :(

3. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

#3 Jfalls63, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    SavageRobot likes this.
  4. stuart12

stuart12 Lurker

Thanks. It would be nice to avoid a factory reset but I think you're right, that's going to have to be the next step.

5. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

Have you recently updated? sometimes things glitch out after an update and wiping is suggested. Sometimes it's not necessary but...
    Anyway,
    1. I would suggest an update if available, otherwise factory reset
    2. If you go into the settings where you set your screen unlock code it gives you an option to set how long after sleep to lock the phone. If you have this set at 5 seconds for example and it's not...Factory Reset
    3. Weird...again Factory Reset
    Sorry but if there is no update available for these bugs I think the best thing to do as suggested above is backup and factory reset :(

6. stuart12

stuart12 Lurker

Thanks. No, I haven't updated recently and there are no updates available - I think Huawei have abandoned this model :-(. I found the setting for locking after sleeping which I didn't know about - it's on 15 secs which seems to be the way it used to behave. So yes, it seems as if the conclusion is to do a factory reset... a fun job for the weekend... not!

7. stuart12

stuart12 Lurker

Just in case anyone finds this thread in the future... I did a factory reset yesterday afternoon and - around 30 hours later - the problem has gone and the phone is behaving normally. Fingers crossed that's fixed it permanently.

(The battery also seems to be performing better... I was wondering if that was another symptom but maybe an annual factory reset isn't a bad idea anyway!)

SavageRobot and Jfalls63 like this.
  8. Richard Park

Richard Park Member

Stuart.
    I do not think you had to factory reset your phone as I am reading your OP and updates it seems to me that you changed a setting. Always check your settings before evening going to the last resort of F.R...
    GL...