• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Clock Radio Alarm At All Possible? + Other Questions.

Hi all,

So, my Desire should be arriving within the next few days and I have a few questions regarding the alarm clock and apps updating.

1) Coming from a Blackberry, I've missed having an FM radio for quite some time, so I'll be happy to have it back- is there any way that I can have the radio wake me up rather than a selected song/ alarm tone/ whatever? (I realise that it probably can't be done without installing an app- looking at my mum's Wildfire there doesn't seem to be an option) so does anyone know of an app that would allow me to do this? (I have no problem leaving the headset plugged in if there was a way of doing it.) *I did use the search function and look at the suggested threads, but they weren't quite what I was looking for*

2) (This is more aimed at when I'm not necessarily at home or on a wifi network). I know the Desire can at times be quite data intensive, so when I'm around the house I plan on sticking to wifi just to take the strain off things, one of they easiest ways of slowing things down a bit would be to stop FB/Flickr/Twitter etc updating overnight- is there any way to schedule times? I know you can schedule intervals between updates or choose to do it manually, but is there any way to do an "on/off" type feature so that say when it gets to 11pm it automatically stops updating and then resumes at 7am? I know you could switch to 2G and simply recieve texts and calls, but one thing I *would* like to keep updating would be the news/RSS feed.

That's it for now I think. If I have anymore I'll be around.

Cheers,

Jack.

I have just downloaded an application called TuneIn Radio. Its a great little app that gets most of the stations out there both internet and normal.

It does have a function to work as an alarm, not tried it myself but looking on the comments within the market it appears to work.

On the second point I think your best option would be to install and application called timeriffic. This lets you set all sorts of things to stop and start working again depending on time. I use it to stop any notifications going off while I am asleep but you could just as easily set it so it stops any downloading and sync'ing.

Hope that helps mate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones