• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Aesthetically

Jul 27, 2010
Hi!
I'm a stereotypical girl. I know pretty minimal about all this sort of stuff.
But i somehow managed to root my phone, disable bloatware, apply a cyangogen rom last night without bricking it. Even though it took me a ridiculously long time. YAY me!

But anyways. What is this clocking business?
What is a good number for me to get the best out of batt life?
What do i do to get to that number?

Any help would be great! And any random tips and suggestions to improve my phone would be awesome! Thank you :)

Download setCPU, it's worth it trust me. If you didnt install a kernel, which it sounds like you havent, go into the app and hit menu, perflock disabler, attempt disable. After this, check set on boot after making the minimum clock speed the lowest possible.
Then go to profiles tab, hit enable, and make a new profile:
>Screen off>priority 100%> max clock, 384, min clock 245
Thats it

Upvote 0
Clock speed is the speed the processor is running at that moment. The stock 2.2 processor is clocked at 1ghz or 1,000mhz. The minimum clock speed is the lowest the cpu will clock down when the phone is idle. A lower speed will generate less heat and will use less battery, its slower though so when the phone wakes up it will clock back up to the maximum.

Changing the scaling changes how the clock speed scales depending on system load, ie how much the cpu needs to be used. I usually leave mine on Interactive since it allows the cpu to clock down, but it will allow it to ramp up quickly so you dont notice a lag for a second while waking the phone...

It saying it cant find perflock is probably because your using CM rom and the kernel in that rom doesn't have perflock. Thats a good thing since perflock keeps the phone from being able to adjust the cpu clock speed.

Reactions: cartisdm
Upvote 0
Interesting.
What you said about the screen then waking up and lagging a bit.
I noticed that when i now get text messages, so my screen will turn on as usual showing my handcent quick reply box and ill start clicking away. But my inputs are lagging like crazy! I'll be letters ahead of what is coming up. Its never happened before till just yesterday. Is it because of like you said the screen is laggy, therefore making the phone all around laggy just for that moment a bit?
If thats so i'll be ok with it. I just kinda wanted a reason behind it.
But yea its only laggy for that first initial typiing. If i just pause, go out of the text and re enter, it doesnt lag anymore.

Also off topic question becaus ei didnt want to make another topic but i was looking at my applications to clear the data for "HTC Sense". I wanted to do that because i deleted applications and the guide said to clear the data under HTC Sense just incase the deleted app widgets are still on my list of applications. When i went to go to it, it's not there! I checked all aplication tabs and its no where to be found :( Should i be worried? How do i get it back?

Upvote 0
No worries. HTC Sense is the user interface (what you see when you are on the home screen of your phone). So as long as you have the homescreen with the little bar on bottom, you still have it. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about clearing its cache either, especially just to remove an uninstalled widget, since it will be removed on your next restart if it still shows up.

Now that I think about it (I haven't used HTC Sense in a long time) it may show up as Rosie. Also, make sure you are looking under:

Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All applications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones