• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clockwork/Amon RA PC36IMG Files

Thanks for the info. Without lighting up the forum with controversy, I use it to install the OTA update. I am at 4.22 with CWM installed and want to update to 4.24 using the OTA update.

The OTA 4.24 update will not install with CWM recovery, it will only install the the current correct stock recovery. After I install the OTA, I simply flash CWM again and install the lastest SU update. Works great, is simple for me and no I have never lost root.

I am aware of the other ways to update, but i am really picky about installing updates OTA which I have been doing it this way for the last three updates.

I wasnt aware that root acces was needed to get the recovery.img. I guess I will have to wait. Couldnt it be aquired by using rom manger on on the the rooted stock roms?

ok i see now. i do not think that has been released yet. i have not seen any stock recovery out for the new ota's. i pretty sure that once we have root access that we will startsee those recoveries come out, but as of yet not that i have seen.

why do you need it out of curiosity?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Without lighting up the forum with controversy, I use it to install the OTA update. I am at 4.22 with CWM installed and want to update to 4.24 using the OTA update.

The OTA 4.24 update will not install with CWM recovery, it will only install the the current correct stock recovery. After I install the OTA, I simply flash CWM again and install the lastest SU update. Works great, is simple for me and no I have never lost root.

I am aware of the other ways to update, but i am really picky about installing updates OTA which I have been doing it this way for the last three updates.

I wasnt aware that root acces was needed to get the recovery.img. I guess I will have to wait. Couldnt it be aquired by using rom manger on on the the rooted stock roms?

Hmm.. I've never heard of this method, but I know that people have lost root by updating to the latest OTA.
(There are stock roms (2.3)) that you can flash...)

Wouldn't you lose root in this process? I don't think that an exploit has been found in the latest version (the forum would have exploded with posts).

Upvote 0

unfortunately the stock recovery and rom are completely different. we have the source code for the stock rom, but i have not seen anything for the stock recovery yet.

to be honest this gingerbread release is not really all that. there are some great roms that are coming out that are really amazing. there are some roms that have a combo of sense 2.1 and sense 3.0 (mikg,kings alliance, and synergy roms). we even have a few roms that are pure sense 3.0(virus's kingdom rom). that are fast, smooth, and amazing. not sure why you want to go about updating to gingerbread when we have all these amazing roms. but that is up to you.
anymore questions feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

The stock rom is only a part of the OTA. There are radio updates and an hboot update. I would imagine that you could install the OTA with the recovery.img from the 3.70 release as the ones going from 2.2 to 2.3 would have that recovery anyway. JMO and it is your phone but it seems that you go to alot of unnecessary work and time to get something that you can download and flash in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Upvote 0
I figured out how to extract the recovery from the stock OTA 4.22 ROM. I flashed it and then booted and installed the 4.24 ota update. I am now running 4.24 with CWM and SU

The reason I do this method is that I want to keep my rom stock without having to wipe settings and it has remained that way. This method allows me to update just as if I wasnt rooted. Beacuse I am rooted using Unrevoked I do not worry about losing root (S-OFF).

After I update I then flash CWM and the latest SU.

Unfortuneatly using the 3.70 rcovery with the 4.22 rom caused my phone not to boot (triangle screen). So for this method I must have the correct recovery.img.

The stock rom is only a part of the OTA. There are radio updates and an hboot update. I would imagine that you could install the OTA with the recovery.img from the 3.70 release as the ones going from 2.2 to 2.3 would have that recovery anyway. JMO and it is your phone but it seems that you go to alot of unnecessary work and time to get something that you can download and flash in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Upvote 0
Is there any other way to turn the S-OFF? I had a rooted EVO and the power button stopped working so I had to get a new one and UnrEVOked says that the firmware is too new so I can't root my phone using that. How do I get around this problem? If I could just go back to an older version of the firmware I wouldn't have any of these problems but I don't know if you can. Please help me out here somebody.

Upvote 0
Is there any other way to turn the S-OFF? I had a rooted EVO and the power button stopped working so I had to get a new one and UnrEVOked says that the firmware is too new so I can't root my phone using that. How do I get around this problem? If I could just go back to an older version of the firmware I wouldn't have any of these problems but I don't know if you can. Please help me out here somebody.

You can not currently root the new hboot(2.16) nor downgrade your software to allow you to root. Check this thread.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

and welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
like x said you can't unfortunately root just yet. but the devs are hard at work on coming up with an exploit to make root possible. please read the link the x provided.

Upvote 0
Silly question here, so bear with me please.

I am currently in the process of switching back and forth between Clockwork and Amon to restore and backup a few of my ROM's because I am switching from Clockwork to Amon and I want a few backups in case things go wrong.

Now, Clockwork backed up into the folder "clockworkmod" and that is what I backed up to my computer. It contained a folder "backup" and that is where the ROM's were written. I just need to make sure, is the folder "nandroid" the folder I need to backup to my computer?

Upvote 0

I am currently in the process of switching back and forth between Clockwork and Amon to restore and backup a few of my ROM's because I am switching from Clockwork to Amon and I want a few backups in case things go wrong.

Now, Clockwork backed up into the folder "clockworkmod" and that is what I backed up to my computer. It contained a folder "backup" and that is where the ROM's were written. I just need to make sure, is the folder "nandroid" the folder I need to backup to my computer?

the nandroid folder is where amon ra saves the backups in, so if you want to backup those nandroid backups to your computer, then yes that is it.

Reactions: Pioneer74
Upvote 0

Just so you know, it is not necessary to switch back and forth to remake the backups. If you needed to go back to an old one, you can just flash the CWM recovery to access it. Most of my old backups are long gone other than a couple I made when I first rooted that have my wimax keys saved. If they are more than a couple weeks old, in my experience you will never go back to them anyway. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I only did it for 2 backups. My first backup right after rooting and my backup of Azrael before I flashed the Synergy ROM. I ram Azrael for almost 4 months so it contained all of my phone numbers and texts I wanted to make sure I had.

Are all of your phone numbers set to your google account or your phone? If they are set to google, then they will be restored when you sign into your google account from your phone. SMS backup and restore works well for transferring texts between rom flashes.

Upvote 0
Are all of your phone numbers set to your google account or your phone? If they are set to google, then they will be restored when you sign into your google account from your phone. SMS backup and restore works well for transferring texts between rom flashes.

I have them on my google account but I use MyBackupPro to restore my text messages, all logs, MMS, my phone's layout and a few .apk's that have been removed from the Market.

I just wanted to have my last daily for a backup in case Synergy starts acting up and I can go back to it quickly.

Upvote 0
I have them on my google account but I use MyBackupPro to restore my text messages, all logs, MMS, my phone's layout and a few .apk's that have been removed from the Market.

I just wanted to have my last daily for a backup in case Synergy starts acting up and I can go back to it quickly.

Understandable. You should be happy with Amon RA. I have never had an issue with it.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for Mr. Ed, but I found a thread that may prove helpful.

Evo 4.22 Stock Recovery - Page 3 - xda-developers

Thanks! I believe that is it. I am trying to help someone unroot so they can take the phone in....the problem is that all the methods available leave the user at 3.70....Sprint tech will most likely update her and she will not be able to root again.

I am trying to get her to current 4.24 with stock recovery and s-onin a manner that she can root after her visit to sprint.

The way she wants it done is proving to be difficult. I keep the eng bootloader for this exact reason but she wants it to look 100% legitimate soooooo

When I am done I will try and package it all together for others

Upvote 0
ive tried download amon ra recovery from different sites every go into bootloader and tried to find pc36img.zip (all caps minus the .zip) receive bad image error

try this one:
PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip

make sure that you delete the "_RA_2.3" part of the title. do not add an extra zip to the name as windows hides extensions. also make sure that you are putting it on the root of the sd card that means not in any folder.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones