1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Clockwork / Droid X Bootstrapper

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by toomuchrum, May 31, 2011.

1. toomuchrum

toomuchrum Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    This might be a simple problem. I have a Droid X. I installed the Droid X Bootstrapper. I open my app drawer and hit Droid X Bootstrapper. I then hit 'Bootstrap Recovery'. After a second or two, it says that it has the rights, etc. I then hit 'Reboot Recovery'. The phone reboots into it's 'mode' (green menu). I got to 'Backup and Restore' and hit 'Backup'. The screen runs through the process, and at the end generates a MD5 checksum. I hit 'Reboot' and go back into the normal phone mode.

My problem is that once back into the phone mode, the files (system.img, cache.img, data.img, etc) are NOT always there! I'm using ES Explorer. I open the app, go to the Clockworkmod, go to backup, go to the date (it shows the date of the backup I did, but there are no files in the directory!!!!

Am I doing something wrong???? I just want to make sure the backups are being done. I want to copy them off the phone to my computer periodically just to be safe. But they are not always there!!!!!!!!

I get no error message from clockwork. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Advertisement

2. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Charlotte
    Download ROM Manager in the app store. Open it and press Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. See if that solves your problem.

3. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    2nd to Clockwork Recovery app

much easier to use

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Guys,

Anyone mind / object if I move this to the root section?

Might get more eyeballs and responses there too...

I know its troubleshooting, but it is root-related...(kind of a gray area, I guess).

Lemme know...

Cheers!

BTW, when I get home tonight, I'll test this, but I would think you'd be able to adb shell into recovery while its still running and verify that the ClockworkMOD's Nandroid backup files are still present before you reboot. There should also be a /cache/recovery/log file that is used to record the machinations that go on during recovery operations (and possibly including something related to what you are seeing). You'd have to look at this while still in recovery (I'll try that out too and update this thread (wherever its ends-up being ;))).

5. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Okay, here's the scoop:

You can, of course, connect to adb while ClockworkMOD recovery is running. While the Nandroid backup is running, the /cache/recovery/log file is not (yet) updated, but as soon as it finishes (returns to the menu) you can view or pull the file.

If you want to view the contents of the Nandroid backup directory while ClockworkMOD is still running (after you've done backup, of course), you'll need to go the "mounts and storage" option and select "mount /sdcard".

After that, return to your Android SDK's tools directory and pull the file and/or look for the file while in an adb shell. For example:

c:\> cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    c:\android-sdk-windows\tools> adb shell
    ~ # ls -a -l /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup
    ls -a -l /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup
    drwxrwxrwx 4 root root 32768 Jun 1 00:25 .
    drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 32768 May 29 02:56 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 32768 May 29 03:02 2011-05-29.02.56.43
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 32768 Jun 1 00:31 2011-06-01.00.25.10
    ~ #
    ls -a -l /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2011-06-01.00.25.10
    ls -a -l /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2011-06-01.00.25.10
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 32768 Jun 1 00:31 .
    drwxrwxrwx 4 root root 32768 Jun 1 00:25 ..
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2234496 Jun 1 00:31 .android_secure.img
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4048704 Jun 1 00:31 cache.img
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 317366016 Jun 1 00:31 data.img
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 132 Jun 1 00:32 nandroid.md5
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 271996032 Jun 1 00:26 system.img
    ~ #
    exit

To pull the ClockworkMOD's custom recovery log (this works for Amon_RA recovery too, FYI), issue this command from your Android SDK's tool's directory:

c:\android-sdk-windows\tools> adb pull /cache/recovery/log dx-gb-cwm-recovery-log.txt

Hopefully, you'll see something enlightening in the log file (better viewed with Wordpad.exe than Notepad.exe, btw).

By the way, I can see my Nandroid backup folders and files just fine with ES Explorer, the default Android file explorer, Astro File Explorer, and OI File Manager.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

6. toomuchrum

toomuchrum Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    1st off, I dl'ed the ROM Manager as suggested .. installed .. flashed the clockwork recovery. Then I ran clockwork as I normally do (outlined in 1st post). It ran through 'backing up system', backing up data', etc. Got the MD5 generated and I rebooted. Went to ES Explorer, went to the clockwork dir on my SDCARD, opened backup, opened the dated-timestamped folder and nothing was there. "folder empty"

2nd. I'm not sure what is being said about a c:\android-sdk-tools etc., but I did look on my phone (using ES explorer and Root Explorer for /cache/recovery/log. I had to use Root Explorer, ES reports NOTHING under /chache/. I do have a /cache/recovery folder, but there is no /log subdirectory or file. That being said, I can not report anything as to it's contents.

Like I mentioned 1st off. This is hit and miss (actually more miss than hit). I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY ran Clockwork and checked and the files (system.img, data, cache, etc) WERE there!!! Once in a while it works, most time it doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestions.... Will wait for any more.

Thanx

7. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Wow, that's still really weird that your Nandroid backup files in the /clockworkmod/backup directory are missing (dir is empty).

The Android SDK is the software development kit and is installed on your PC (Windows, Mac, or Linux). It contains the adb client that you can use to communicated with the adb server/daemon that is running in the background while custom recovery (ClockworkMOD) is active.

Sorry, I obviously assumed that you were already familiar with the Android SDK and using adb. If you are not, don't worry about it, but its probably the only way for you to clearly see what ClockworkMOD is doing when it launched the nandroid-mobile.sh script to perform your backup (i.e., CWM logs its messages in /cache/recovery/log, but its only present while CWM is running).

One thing that just occurred to me is that maybe you don't have enough space on your SD card and the Nandroid backup is actually failing from not having enough space (although I would have assumed you would have seen a warning ahead of time that there was not enough space and/or a warning afterwards regarding what / why things failed).

I thought there was an option in CWM to save-off / push the log file to the SD card, but I didn't see it last night while testing this. I'll check out the source and see if there's anything else that might explain what is going on.

8. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    A full sd card is a very plausible explanation, but it is weird that it works sometimes

9. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Which rom are you running? stock froyo, stock gingerbread? (Settings... about phone... what is your system version?)

Gingerbread roms need the droid2 bootstrap.

10. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    scary stole stevens AVATAR!!

scary alien and colchiro like this.
  11. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Okay, I (finally, lol) figured-out the "push /cache/recovery/log to SD card" feature.

Pretty simple, really. When in ClockworkMod and after you've done the Nandroid backup:

- select "advanced"

- select "Report Error" option

You should see the following at the bottom of the screen:

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.8
    /tmp/recovery.log was copied to /sdcard/clockworkmod/recovery.log. Please open ROM Manager to report the issue.

You don't, of course, have to use ROM Manager...you can simply transfer the file from your SD card yourself (or use something like Astro and Send it to your Gmail account, etc.) to see/view its contents to see if it reveals anything about your backup issue.

12. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    lol! :D

Yeah, I did! ;)

(I have an "inside man" (my daughter, actually), who tweaked-up this actual pic).

I'm going to honor Steven's 20k post milestone...he's only 3 away and I thought he would be there by now...

Looks like he's off-line at the moment...I might switch back until he's there.

:D :D :D:D

13. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Toomuchrum try clearing your cache including your dalvic cache.

14. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I started to change his light saber from green to red, then quickly dropped it. It wasn't turning out as nice as I liked. :D

15. toomuchrum

toomuchrum Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    Thanks for the other suggestions.

1. SD card is not full, it's a 8gb card with 7.5gb free.
    2. Cleared Delvic Cache and tried it, no files showed.

Someone wanted to know the phone specs. Here they are..

Moto Droid X, System Version 2.3.340, Android Version 2.2.1, Apex 1.4.1

Just tonight, I ran the clockwork backup again, using the original way I did (Droid X Bootstrapper - Bootstrap Recovery .. then Reboot Recover .. to green menu, etc.). I ran just as it always has .. backing up system, backing up data, etc. Finished and I rebooted. Went into ES Explorer and the files were THERE this time!!! See, it's hit and miss. Just don't understand it.

I didn't read the recovery log since it worked this time. I'm going to try another backup (which I would be surprised if it worked), and when it fails (files don't show up) I'll look for the recovery log.

Thanks to all for the ongoing help!!!!

16. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    well thats what we are here for bud is for help, good luck to you hopefully, you wont run into anymore problems like that

17. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Just to rule it out I would put droid2 bootstrap in and make a backup with that just to see if dx bootstrap is being problematic on your phone.

18. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i would stick with dx bootstrap while on froyo.

but it really wouldnt matter regardless

19. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Ppppfffttt.........lol

20. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    I did a general Google search for "android files disappeared on sd card" and here's a quick summary of possible causes:

1. Do you have an anti-virus app running on your phone? (i.e., one that might auto-quarantine / delete files?). There were also a lot of references to the Slacker (radio?) app being the culprit, but those posts were pretty old.

2. Perhaps your SD card itself is going bad...

3. Might want to try backing-up everything and reformatting the SD card

Just throwing those things out there just in case...

Cheers!

21. toomuchrum

toomuchrum Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    I do not have a Antivirus... well, I do, but I have that part disabled. I'm just using it for the location feature.

Anyhow, it's funny you mentioned the SDCARD going bad. Now that I think about it, I've been having some weird things happen.

I have a widget (flipclock by factory-something or other). It seems that everytime I reboot my phone, I loose the wallpaper for the widget (widget is installed on the phone memory, but the wallpapers are installed on the SDCARD).

I've noticed that the wallpaper directory on the SDCARD sometimes is GONE also!!!???? Now that I'm thinking more about it, I don't think this is a clockwork problem.

However... There are other files on my SDCARD that are being updated, changed, etc. and I'm not seeing any problems. The DX came with a 2GB card, I swapped it out for a 8GB card. I bascially put the 8gb card in and using the phone I formatted and started to use it. Now I'm thinking maybe something is a-miss there.

Is there a app or utility to test the health of a SDCARD??????

Thanks

toomuchrum

22. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    I would suggest copying your SD card to your PC, then formatting your SD card, then returning your saved SD card files on your PC back to your sd card then giving it another try.

23. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Not sure about an SD card tester utility...from what little I've read, an exhaustive test of your card will simply "use up" some of the limited number of read and write cycles that your card has to begin with (I don't actually know if that is a real concern or not since I would guess it depends on the way the tests are done, how many cycles are performed, your prior usage / age of the card, and the cycle rating of the card to start with).

The SD card / widget thing might be more explainable. The SD card is not mounted until rather late in the boot cycle / routine. So, there's a good chance that your apps and widgets are being launched before the SD card is mounted and they may not adequately recover / retry from a "missing" referenced SD resource. So, if you have a widget in particular that you've moved to the SD card, you might want to move it back to internal memory to see if those problems go away.

24. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    This looks like a good place to ask my question, as I'm not finding the answer searching threads.

My Droid X is running CM7 based on GB .605, and is using Clockworkmod Recovery 2.5.0.8, without using Bootstrap or ROM Manager.

While upgrading my Acer Iconia A500 tablet to Thor's Tegraowners ICS v.169, (which mentions CM9 on the boot screen) I had to update clockworkmod recovery on it, and am now using a version 5.5.0.x Thor customized which has a touchscreen interface. Very nice! :)

I'm wondering if there is a newer clockworkmod recovery that I can use on the Droid X, and maybe even get the touchscreen version to work on it too? I'm not finding much in the way of upgrade information for CWM here in the DX all things root section.

Edit - OK, I found the official website for Clockworkmod Recovery ( http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager ) and I see from their listing for the Droid X that CWM 5.0.2.0 is available for it, but not the Touch Recovery version from Koush.

I plan to keep running the same ROM on this phone until I replace the phone (thinking about a Razr, as my upgrade cycle just became available), so what advantages might I see in upgrading CWM to the newest version?