1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

ClockWorkMod 5.0.2.7 (for Boost Mobile version)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Apache Thunder, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder Android Enthusiast

Looks like ClockWorkMod that was made for Sprint's Design 4G can be used on the Boost Mobile version.

After a small edit to the txt file in the update zip to give it the correct CID, it will then flash and operate correctly on the Boost version of the phone when using hboot to flash CWM. First thing I did was run a backup.

One of the main requirements before doing this is that you unlock your boot loader. You can do that at the htcdev website. (just use the Sprint version in the drop down list, don't worry about the Boost one not showing up)

EDIT: No bricking or problems found. So it looks like it works. This could be the first step to rooting this phone. ;)

[link removed due to GPL violation]

Stock Recovery incase you need to go back to full stock (for warranty purposes or when trying to install an OTA update)

stock_PH44IMG.zip
    (rename file so that "stock_" is not present otherwise hboot won't see the file! If you are flashing OTA updates, be sure to relock the boot loader otherwise things like radio firmwares and kernels will not flash correctly and you may get problems kernels/roms clashing with older versions of eachother)

I was not responsible for making original port of CWM. For the source you can find it here:

[Recovery]CWM Recovery For HTC Design 4G & HeroS (aka Kingdom) - xda-developers

(That one is the Sprint version. So if you have the Sprint version. Do NOT use my zip file. You will get a CID incorrect error. Use the one posted in that thread. ;) ) You do not need to have root to flash this in hboot. :D

I edited the txt filed inside the zip to indicate the correct CID. (which was retrieved by viewing the buildprop file in the /system folder)

To install this, just place the zip file (do NOT extract the zip file!) to the root directory of your SD card. Then boot into hboot. Let it sit there for a few seconds. It will start looking for update files and will find the zip file. When it asks if you want to install the update, say yes. Your boot loader most likely needs to be UNLOCKED, for this to work.

After your done, be sure to delete/move the zip file since otherwise hboot will keep loading it up and won't let you do anything else. Also don't forget to wipe cache when you boot into CWM for the first time. ;)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ak47bluntz

ak47bluntz Member

omg TY! any clue when a root may be out?

3. Apache Thunder

Not sure. I'm researching root methods that involve using CWM. If I find anything out, I will post about it.

4. Apache Thunder

The couple of CWM installers for root that I've tried don't seem to stick after reboot.

After seeing that they are indeed installed when checking the directories using Android Commandor, that it's able to write to the folders, but the OS is removing them on startup.

(Android Commander is also reporting that I have root access when I use it with CWM running. But when ICS is booted up, it reports as not having root access)

So it seems something in the OS is killing root. Someone with more DEV experience then me will likely need to figure out what's going on. :p

I'm trying it again and this time I will wipe delvic cache, cache, and will run "Fix Permissions" and then will try rebooting to see if root sticked or not. :p

UPDATE:

SUCCESS! After many fiddling, I got root working! Only root app not working for me is "Root Manager" (the one with that nifty reboot widget). It doesn't do anything when I try to reboot with it. But Titanium Backup was able to uninstall an app (Hookt is definitely gone, it's not in the app drawer anymore. :D ) and Wifi Tether app seems to work too. :D

I will do a factory reset, backed that up with CWM immediately afterwords and then upload that for all to use after making sure root still works.

Since I don't know exactly how I managed to get it working it may be difficult to explain it. First off I discovered I had to mount the system folder in CWM before Android Commander could see it. I also re-ran the root installer zip after mounting system. Then cleared cache/delvic cache and fixed permissions after I found that SuperUser was acting funny. Initially SuperUser wasn't promting me when I was running Titanium Backup like it should. (and it would eventually error and say I didn't have root)

So I rebooted back to CWM and did the clear cache on normal cache and delvic cache and also did the fix permissions option. It seems to work now.

I don't have a big collection of root only apps to test from but Titanium Backup does appear to be working. I will keep you all posted. :D

5. johnny424

johnny424 Android Expert

lol im waiting for root before i buy this phone sunday..so im pulling for you..would like to help but dont got my phone yet..but i will contribute a port of my favorite OG evo rom..seeing as you are on the right track...nice find..good wori

6. Apache Thunder

After doing the factory reset, seems SuperUser is now fully responsive and there wasn't any extra delay in it's prompts coming up. Titanium Backup was reinstalled via Google Play and started that. SuperUser showed me the prompt right away and I pressed Allow.

After that Titanium Backup was reporting I had root and would let me backup/uninstall apps. I'll restore from the backup I made to make sure it will work for the end users that will be installing this to double make sure. :D

I will post a new thread on this root method and provide the appropriate download links. Also note this method should work for the Sprint version of the phone as well. But you can't go to direct to root via my backup since it's a backup of a Boost phone. you'll need to install CWM (unlocking the boot loader is possible with both versions of this phone) then install the CWM zip file that has the superuser/busybox stuff. It's a bit of a complicated hassle to get root that way, but for Sprint users, that will be the only route. But for Boost users, I did all the trial and error for you and now all you have to do is install CWM, then install my backup. Then you'll have root. :D

gregory850 and ak47bluntz like this.
  7. ak47bluntz

ak47bluntz Member

wow amazing already got root i thank you

8. Rally 517

Rally 517 Android Expert

Can someone make a video to unlock bootloader. Can't se to get it

9. Dest1ny

Dest1ny Member

a step by step on rooting process would be great.

10. Apache Thunder

I just finished making one. Find it here:

[CWM] Root via backup. (Boost Mobile)

As for unlocking it, it's a little advanced and difficult to explain. Just follow the instructions the HTC website provides you. It should not be too difficult. You will need to have Android SDK and the HTC Sync drivers installed among a couple other things before it will work. The site does show what you need to have prior to unlocking the boot loader. So just read it thoroughly and you should be good to go. :D

gregory850 likes this.
  11. tomorrow Ill be making Videos Ill post soon

Rally 517 likes this.
  12. Rally 517

Rally 517 Android Expert

How did u update drivers

13. Heloguy

Heloguy Android Enthusiast

How do you get into CWM? What I'd the combination of buttons?

14. Most HTC devices are VOLUME UP + Power for recovery(then CWM once flashed)
    Volume Down+ Power is for fastboot/Bootloader

Heloguy likes this.
  15. Apache Thunder

You hold power button + volume down while turning on the phone. The phone needs to be completely off for it to work. (shutting down phone from menu might not be enough use restart instead. Hold the buttons down when it is restarting and the phone will turn off. Then re-press the volume down + power button combination and it should boot up into hboot).

Once you get the phone to display the hboot screen, wait for it to check for updates. once it finishes, it will let you move around in the menus.

Select "Recovery" and it will boot CWM.

EDIT: Volume Up + Power On should get you direct to CWM as mentioned by the post right above mine.

Heloguy likes this.
  16. Apache Thunder

Thanks to the OTA update that Boost provided, I now have my hands on the stock recovery. So now you can uninstall CWM and go back to full stock if you need to send in the phone for warrenty repairs (don't forget to re-lock the boot loader if you are sending it in for repair!)

Also OTA updates won't install with CWM installed thus the need to go back to stock recovery.

If you are doing a warranty repair/replacement, you should probably unroot before restoring stock CWM.

17. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

Hehe

any way for you to post the stock rom?

18. Heloguy

I'm about to start this process. HTCDEV website says one you unlock bootloader, your phone will lose all apps and settings. Basically, a factory reset.
    Is there a wayaround this? It took me forever to get it the way it is now.

19. grad061980

grad061980 Newbie

flashing a ruu (or pulling the rom.zip from the ruu - renaming it to ph44img.zip to flash in hboot) will put the stock recovery back on the phone (removes cwm for you). Must relock the bootloader first. No need to unroot as the ruu will remove it for you.

20. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

No . If you unlock the bootloader it will wipe your phone
    It's just another way for htc to screw with you since there is no reason at all to wipe the phone for a bootloader unlock

21. Apache Thunder

I don't recall losing any apps/settings when I unlocked mine.

22. grad061980

grad061980 Newbie

The unlock tool (on phone) states that it wipes the phone clean when unlocking the bootloader.

23. Heloguy

i just downloaded my backup pro and am backing everything up now, just in case.

Edit: I'm glad i backed everything up first with backup pro. i unlocked the bootloader and it wiped everything clean. restoring now. so far so good

24. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

good luck let us know :D

25. Apache Thunder

I'm already uploading my post data wipe backup of the June update with root preinstalled. :D

zombu2 likes this.

HTC EVO Design Forum

The HTC EVO Design release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews