1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

ClockworkMod Recovery failing to restore backups

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by sickens, May 11, 2011.

1. sickens

sickens Lurker
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Hi all... Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

I've got to be doing something wrong (but c'mon, really how can you screw it up?) because this is the second time ClockworkMod (v.3.0.2.4 on my Nexus S) has let me down. First time on my Desire Z, this time on brand new hardware my Nexus S.

When creating the backup, ClockworkMod tells me that the backup was created successfully, but halfway through the restore of said backup (after full data wipe, cache wipe, dalvik wipe) the restore process stops and I'm back at the bootloader with no confirmation of success or failure. Then, when I reboot the system, I'm greeted with the Android setup wizard and a half-restored system.

Two of my last backups that were 'successfully created' fail to restore in the exact same manner. It's frustrating because the MD5's check out OK using AFV.

When I do an advanced restore, the Boot restores OK, the system restores OK, but it's during the data restore it stops. Why is this happening?

I've got 6+GB space free on my storage, space isn't an issue when creating the backup.

If it matters, I'm trying to restore CM 7 backups after fidling around with another ROM this morning.

This is really disheartening... Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Did you rename the backup folders at all? Have you tried another sd card (maybe the one you have is bad)?

3. sickens

sickens Lurker
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Haven't touched the folder names, and the SD card is internal (Nexus S) so I sure hope it's not bad!

4. sickens

sickens Lurker
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    What a time vampire this has been... I have no idea what's up. Could it possibly be an app that's in the backup that's causing the restore to fail? How on earth could I narrow it down? I've even tried making backups of a different ROM with the same apps and still no dice. Still fails restoring the data.

*le-sigh.*

5. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    How did you install CWM Recovery? Via ROM Manager?
    If yes, this can be the problem.

You could also try an older version of CWM Recovery.

6. sickens

sickens Lurker
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    I did flash CWM Recovery through ROM manager. Should I flash it through fastboot instead? When I tried flashing an older version 3.0.0.5 (again, through ROM manager) I get a mount error on the /cache directory (failed to find "cache" parition to mount at "/cache") which is an issue apparently with my specific i9020a (Koodo) Nexus S.

7. sickens

sickens Lurker
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Update...

After customizing a fresh CM 7.0.3 install, restoring my data from Titanium I decided to give CWM another shot, but before I created the backup I cleared all the cache from my apps. I noticed that Tweetdeck had over 65MB of cache on the internal memory and wondered if it was somehow a culprit in the backup problem. I used CacheCleaner NG to wipe the data, created a backup, wiped the data, and restored the backup and it worked.

At least I know I now have a backup. Could an app really cause problems?

8. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Could be.
    The thing is if you use an application (like ROM Manager) that tries to simulate a backup/restore environment, then the chance of mistakes is higher.
    I prefer backup/restore from CWM recovery (btw I'm using v2.5.0.7). There you can also do wipe/factory reset and cache wipe.

9. LinoBarreca

LinoBarreca Lurker
    None

Jul 6, 2011
  10. robertandrews

robertandrews Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    I may have your problem.
    Cross-posted from my XDA thread System wiped clean by CWM restore! Please help - xda-developers ...

I did not receive any errors on restoration. It goes right in to the recovery menu, from where I reboot.

Don't know what the answer is :-(