• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockworkMod Recovery Version 5.0.2.2 Not Backing Up WiMax Partition.

LBPHeretic

Android Expert
May 29, 2010
Wilmington, Delaware
I realize that for Sprint HTC EVO 4G folks, Amon RA Recovery seems to be the recovery of choice. However, I have a friend who swears by ClockworkMod Recovery and I have noticed something weird about it. Version 5.0.2.2 of ClockworkMod Recovery does not seem to be backing up the WiMax partition and thus the WiMax RSA keys. I noticed the normal .img file associated with the WiMax partition is not present on his microSD card after my friend did a Nandroid backup on his handset.

I found this thread with no replies over at xda-developers which seems to lend some credence to my findings: Clockwork recovery 5.8.0.1 (touch) and 5.0.2.2 (non touch) - xda-developers . Having your WiMax partition and WiMax RSA keys backed up is pretty important, so that is why I am raising the issue here. Has anyone else noticed this?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Haha. I knew that was the type of response I was going to get and I was not disappointed. :D

All levity aside, I use ClockworkMod too and have since first rooting my Sprint HTC Hero, and then continued using it moving onto my Sprint HTC EVO 3D, and it has been fine with no hiccups. I do appreciate the fact that, in general, folks here prefer Amon RA Recovery though. Anyway, I just thought I would post up the issue and see if anyone else has had it. I figured it would be a good Public Service Announcement warning people of the issue at the very least. :)

Upvote 0
I'd recommend switching to either Amon RA 2.3 or even some of the other recoveries based on Amon Ra that can still restore clockwork backups.

If you go to some of the other sites for help and you are using CWM the first thing they are going to do is tell you to switch it anyway.;)

For our EVOS it is just buggy

My personal recommendation:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...9-may-2012-ra-supersonic-v4-2-smelkusmod.html

Upvote 0
yeah i had many issues with clockwork mod when i first rooted my phone. granted at the beginning it was user error on my part and on others it was cwm. but i have since then switched to amon ra and i never had any more issues. so why fix what was not broken.

plus i even tried twrp 2.0 which almost bricked my phone. amon ra 2.3 rules!!!!!

edit: but thanx for pointing this out. yet another reason to go to amon ra.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I have done some independent research on Amon RA Recovery version 2.3 today and it looks good, especially for the Sprint HTC EVO 4G, and I remember others liking during my Sprint HTC Hero days. I think I will stick with ClockworkMod Recovery for my Sprint HTC EVO 3D though. That is an entirely different beast. ;)

I will have a chat with my friend and see if he would be amenable to switching over to it to at least give it a shot. I will post an update when I hear back from him. :)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I have done some independent research on Amon RA Recovery version 2.3 today and it looks good, especially for the Sprint HTC EVO 4G, and I remember others liking during my Sprint HTC Hero days. I think I will stick with ClockworkMod Recovery for my Sprint HTC EVO 3D though. That is an entirely different beast. ;)

I will have a chat with my friend and see if he would be amenable to switching over to it to at least give it a shot. I will post an update when I hear back from him. :)

Not sure if your friend is willing but to get a copy of the wimax keys on the nandroid you could flash Amon RA 2.3 ^ and then reinstall clockwork after you made your nandroid. This way you will have a backup of the Wimax and you can still use the cwm.

Upvote 0
I used cwm version 2.5 or 2.6, can't remember now, for over a year. I didn't have any issues, and that version backed up the wimax keys. I find it strange, actually kind of ignorant they removed that function. Why take that feature away when its potentially irrevokable? I'm a fan of amon-ra or the "style" recoveries, can't go wrong! :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones