• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clockworkmod recovery

Could one of ya'll make a flashable zip for twrp? just in case someone wants to go back without using odin. Thanks in advance if you do :)
Here is a zip to switch back to TWRP-2.8.1.0 without using Odin. That way you can switch recoveries as much as you want. I like both cwm and twrp and switch back and forth whenever I get bored with one.
Big thanks to j03lpr86 and ShabbyPenguin for all your work.

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have already done this but ShabbyPenguin doesn't want anyone else mirroring his files. If you want a flashable zip to switch back to TWRP quickly just follow these directions.
(1) Use root explorer to extract all the contents of the flashable zip for cwm.
(2) Delete the recovery.img (cwm) from the folder that the contents were extracted to.
(3) Extract the recovery.img (twrp) from the .tar file that it comes in and put it in the folder that you extracted the cwm zip to
(4) Change the name of the folder that the recovery.img and META-INF are inside of from cwm-recovery to twrp-recovery then use root explorer to zip it back up.

That's all there is to it.
Edit: If you don't have root explorer you can use this file manager
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...app&pcampaignid=APPU_1_PpjvVO-KA-ySsQTKjIK4Aw
It is made by the same dev as root explorer, is free, and has all the same capabilities except it doesn't have root access. The default path that it extracts files to is /storage/emulated/0/speedsoftware/extracted
The new zip you make will go to /storage/emulated/0/speedsoftware/archives
Thanks for the quick steps

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick steps

@codyedmonson
Did you make that zip yet?

@j03lpr86
Great job building cwm recovery for everyone. Clockworkmod recovery seems to be working flawlessly. It boots quickly every time, and it worked perfectly to make a backup of my current setup, format system, factory reset, wipe dalvik cache, and flash the cm11 alpha build with my own customized gapps package. The restore function worked perfectly also.

One last thing, there seems to be a lot of confusion about tethering with this phone with different methods scattered all over the place and I'm thinking of making a thread with all of the known methods for tethering all in one place. If I make such a thread is it OK if I add the link for the flashable zip you made to the OP along with credit to you for making it? It would be easier than having people search through the xda thread that has almost 1000 posts already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@codyedmonson

@j03lpr86
Great job building cwm recovery for everyone. Clockworkmod recovery seems to be working flawlessly. It boots quickly every time, and it worked perfectly to make a backup of my current setup, format system, factory reset, wipe dalvik cache, and flash the cm11 alpha build with my own customized gapps package. The restore function worked perfectly also.

One last thing, there seems to be a lot of confusion about tethering with this phone with different methods scattered all over the place and I'm thinking of making a thread with all of the known methods for tethering all in one place. If I make such a thread is it OK if I add the link for the flashable zip you made to the OP along with credit to you for making it? It would be easier than having people search through the xda thread that has almost 1000 posts already.
Sure but first i need to fix those zips cause i found a different approach for tethering cuz if i do them without the csc files it messes up wifi calling as soon as i have them done imma let u know because imma also upload them to androidfilehost

Upvote 0
Sure but first i need to fix those zips cause i found a different approach for tethering cuz if i do them without the csc files it messes up wifi calling as soon as i have them done imma let u know because imma also upload them to androidfilehost
Hmm I've been using it since the day you first uploaded it and I'm pretty sure that WiFi calling works.

Upvote 0
Not only have they committed to launching ONE Android phone by the end of the year but perhaps a whole line!In a CNN Money article, VP of T-Mobile’s Broadband and New Business Unit commented on Android: “I’m impressed,” he said. “We will have more than one product…(The move to an open platform) will be innovation [...]

More...
I made the zip within 5 mins of reading the post then flashed the twrp back onto my phone. Nothing against cwm I just like twrp better plus the slow loading isn't really that slow for me :)

Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
@codyedmonson

@j03lpr86

you know go ahead if the zips are working perfectly make the thread.

Upvote 0
I dont mind if they are mirrored for a good reason like you made an enhancement with the zips :).
In that case I may add a flashable zip to the 2nd post of this thread since ya don't mind. Thanks again by the way. Were pretty close to having some decent ROMs partially thanks to you building TWRP for us.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones