1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ClockworkMod / ROM Manager

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MicroNix, Jan 12, 2012.

1. MicroNix

MicroNix Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    So I rooted per instructions in the sticky post. I installed ROM Manager since I had purchased it with my D1 and chose to flash ClockworkMod Recovery from there (obviously choosing the Droid 3 in the selection). It shows current recovery as "ClockworkMod 5.0.2.6". I've rebooted a couple times and every time I try to either create a backup from ROM Manager or even just tell it to reboot into recovery, it simply reboots normally. What am I missing here?

Advertisement

2. arparaspolo

arparaspolo Android Enthusiast
    None

I am a complete noob here but I know on one recovery I had it told me to flash recovery then plug my phone into the wall then reboot into recovery. When I wouldn't plug it in and try to reboot, it would boot up as normal. Hope this helps.

3. redsox985

redsox985 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Personally, I just use an .apk for BootStrap because I didn't like ROM manager and didn't want to pay for it. Here's the .apk. It's from a thread over on DroidForums. D3 BootStrap

I'm not sure if it's 5.0.2.6, but it downloaded for me with a number appended to I'm going to assume it's the same one I use successfully. Also, you can boot up Power+M then navigate down with vol down and select BP Tools with vol up. That should also get you into BootStrap.

MicroNix likes this.
  4. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    As Redsox points out, you need two parts for a successful ClockworkMod setup on your Droid 3. Since the bootloader is locked on the D3, you need both CWM recovery, which you've already installed, and a bootstrap, which gets you into the recovery through a special hijack which bypasses the stock bootloader.

Note that there's a bootstrap in the Market, for free. Just search for "Droid 3 recovery" in your market app. Neall

Graz likes this.
  5. MicroNix

MicroNix Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Thanks for all the tips. The bootstrap is exactly what I needed. I was just so used to how easy it was on the D1.