• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockworkMod / ROM Manager

MicroNix

Android Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2009
So I rooted per instructions in the sticky post. I installed ROM Manager since I had purchased it with my D1 and chose to flash ClockworkMod Recovery from there (obviously choosing the Droid 3 in the selection). It shows current recovery as "ClockworkMod 5.0.2.6". I've rebooted a couple times and every time I try to either create a backup from ROM Manager or even just tell it to reboot into recovery, it simply reboots normally. What am I missing here?

Personally, I just use an .apk for BootStrap because I didn't like ROM manager and didn't want to pay for it. Here's the .apk. It's from a thread over on DroidForums. D3 BootStrap

I'm not sure if it's 5.0.2.6, but it downloaded for me with a number appended to I'm going to assume it's the same one I use successfully. Also, you can boot up Power+M then navigate down with vol down and select BP Tools with vol up. That should also get you into BootStrap.

Reactions: MicroNix
Upvote 0
As Redsox points out, you need two parts for a successful ClockworkMod setup on your Droid 3. Since the bootloader is locked on the D3, you need both CWM recovery, which you've already installed, and a bootstrap, which gets you into the recovery through a special hijack which bypasses the stock bootloader.

Note that there's a bootstrap in the Market, for free. Just search for "Droid 3 recovery" in your market app. Neall

Reactions: Graz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones