1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Cloning a drive with bad blocks

Discussion in 'Computers' started by LV426, Nov 29, 2015.

1. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit
    Recognized Developer Thread Starter

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    I've had some fun and games recently. After receiving a new SSD I tried to clone my laptop's internal HDD. I used the Clonezilla distro, and it turns out that my HDD has a lot of bad blocks. Could be on its way out, so even more reason to get my data off there.
    Now Clonezilla didn't really cope that gracefully with the disk errors, so I'm looking for an alternative to do the cloning.
    I believe that a utility called 'ddrescue' is available to do just what I want, but none of the emergency repair discs I have in my collection have it. Obviously I need to use a live CD to do the cloning, as all filesystems have to be unmounted.
    Looking around there seems to be a distro called Knoppix, which contains the ddrescue program.
    Just wondered if anyone else had experience in rescuing a failing HDD, and could recommend a tool, process, utility, anything to safely get my data off the disk?
    Thanks.

Advertisement

2. psionandy

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    I've tried this in the past with tools on the Ultimate boot CD and clonezilla, to mixed success...

I haven't tried it personally.... but you may be able get it into a stable state with Spinrite (https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm) you'd have to buy it, but there is a 30 day money back guarantee... and it comes from possibly the most trustworthy name in computing. Steve Gibson.

(and even if you don't.. the security now podcast is well worth a listen for anyone who has any interest in computer security https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm )

mikedt likes this.
  3. LV426

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    Just in case anyone else is interested, I ended up using an old 2.5" disk, and installed Ubuntu on to it. Once I'd booted from this, I installed the ddrescue package. After connecting the source and target drives via USB, I ran ddrescue, which took about 10 hours to completely clone the disk.

argedion, mikedt and psionandy like this.
  4. JerrySong1

JerrySong1 Newbie
    None

Dec 9, 2015
    Did your try to run a check disk with the fix option? I know you already cloned it, just wondering what worked?

chkdsk /f C:

5. LV426

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    No but I ran fsck, as I'm a Linux user, and that command is the Unix equivalent of chkdsk. However bad blocks can't be repaired, just avoided by the O/S, and it's a general sign of disk damage, so I think it is time that my data was migrated.

But anyway, first time I tried Clonezilla it completely choked on the bad blocks. So that's why I turned to ddrescue, which is specifically designed to cope with data recovery off failing discs. Apparently Windows does not have any reliable capability to do this.

argedion and psionandy like this.
  6. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    I had forgotten about ddrescue I haven't used in a long time thankfully I need to make sure I add it to my recovery disk.

Crashdamage and LV426 like this.
  7. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

Jan 24, 2013
    Male
    Avionics Technician
    Centrally located far from everywhere, CA
    For the record, I've had really good results from a program called HDClone... I would use it to move my entire drive to a new one (usually a larger capacity drive).