1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Close to stock Froyo ROM for Captivate?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dr.lee.g, Feb 10, 2011.

1. dr.lee.g

dr.lee.g Lurker

Hey folks. I'm new to the forums and LOVE android, I love my captivate, and just can't wait any longer for the official Froyo update. I've decided to flash a ROM onto my device, but before I do I'd like to ask the community for some clarity. :D

What I would really like is a ROM that is as close to stock Froyo as possible, something that is stable and runs smoothly. I need solid GPS, good battery life (12-18 hours with moderate to heavy use), tethering, and as little lag as possible.

I know that no ROM is perfect, and there are bugs to be found with everything (including the samsung/att approved Eclair), but I really don't know which ROM to choose between Serendipity, Cognition, etc. I'd really appreciate the community's help with providing information on the ROMs that fit the above description. Thanks a million!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Timberline

Timberline Member

So far as I know, the only custom ROM currently available that's built on FroYo is Cognition 3.04. I'm currently running this one and have had zero problems with it.

That's not to say anything against other ROMs and in fact I'm planning to try Serendipity later just for grins.

3. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert

First, Welcome!

This link might help a bit:

ROM Table - CapFAQ

sremick likes this.
  4. sremick

sremick Android Expert

That's far from the only one. Not sure what custom ROMs are not 2.2 at this point.

5. Timberline

Timberline Member

OK, maybe I should have said official release FroYo becaues all the others are based on beta versions of 2.2 while Cognition is based on the Canadian Captivate release of 2.2.

...at least that's my understanding....

6. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Android Enthusiast

Some are based on Rogers version, some are based on I9000. Some are based on leaked Att captivate rom.based on what he wants, Cognition is a good start. Only bug that I know of on that rom is lack of bluetooth voice dial.

7. sremick

sremick Android Expert

Yeah there's the Armani (official), Rogers (official), I9000 (official).... and there are multiple ROMs based on each.

I can't think of any currently-maintained ROM still based on the old leaked 2.2 beta code. They've all moved-on to better foundations.

8. MikeyMike01

MikeyMike01 Member

Also incorrect.

And besides, the only difference between a Samsung "Official" release and beta release is whether or not they release the source code. They all suck.

9. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Member

serendipity FTW!

10. shoman94

shoman94 Newbie

Its not a bug.... Froyo 2.2 doesn't support BVD natively but you can use the app Vlingo from the market.

Froyo 2.2.1 Supports BVD natively.

11. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Android Enthusiast

I should have said "issue" :)

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews