• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CLOSED][kernel][ICS & JB 4.2]'Triggerfied' kernel

CM or AOKP-based rom?

• CyanogenMod

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • AOKP

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Honestly I don't see where cm is really all that bloated but the kernel sounds awesome.

Honestly, I'm not too sure what bloat he means either.

The only apps that I believe come installed by default is stuff like the calendar, messaging app, phone app... basic stuff.

Now, I could see including some tweaks and stuff baked into the rom and just kanged out.

*shrug*

Upvote 0
Update: A 4.2 kernel is on it's way. I'm also probably going to release a cm10.1 rom that is slimmed down to be more aosp-ish. It will include the performance tools but a lot of the extra apps and stuff that are in cm10.1 will be gone. Does that sound like something that would interest you guys?

Why don't we focus on fixing the front camera and make a real aosp release?

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I think I finally have the lag issues fixed. I started over from scratch with the official CM iproj kernel repo and everything seems to be smooth again. I'm going to spin a rom with the kernel built in along with a flashable zip to follow. I'm also going to try to use the 'anykernel' method for flashing it so it will be more compatible with aokp as well as CM.

Reactions: IMUcarmen
Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I think I finally have the lag issues fixed. I started over from scratch with the official CM iproj kernel repo and everything seems to be smooth again. I'm going to spin a rom with the kernel built in along with a flashable zip to follow. I'm also going to try to use the 'anykernel' method for flashing it so it will be more compatible with aokp as well as CM.

I was wondering if you would be interested in releasing a kernel with overclocking to 1836 as well. I know for some it makes their phone unstable and heat up but I always ran my phone while we were on gingerbread at 1836 and never had much of an issue doing so (also this was during the south east virginia summer which can be brutally hot and humid) (I would get my best antutu scores at 1836).

Since it seems that some of us are able to run at 1836 i think it would be cool if we had the option to run a kernel which is capable of being cranked up that high. It's pretty easy to swap out kernels so having two different options would be awesome.

Whatever you do, thanks.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if you would be interested in releasing a kernel with overclocking to 1836 as well. I know for some it makes their phone unstable and heat up but I always ran my phone while we were on gingerbread at 1836 and never had much of an issue doing so (also this was during the south east virginia summer which can be brutally hot and humid) (I would get my best antutu scores at 1836).

Since it seems that some of us are able to run at 1836 i think it would be cool if we had the option to run a kernel which is capable of being cranked up that high. It's pretty easy to swap out kernels so having two different options would be awesome.

Whatever you do, thanks.

I'll think about it. This kernel will have more aggressive GPU OC though so I'm a little leery of cranking the CPU that high along with the GPU. My biggest issue is that some newbie will flash it and think he can run performance governor or something and melt his phone.

Upvote 0
I'll think about it. This kernel will have more aggressive GPU OC though so I'm a little leery of cranking the CPU that high along with the GPU. My biggest issue is that some newbie will flash it and think he can run performance governor or something and melt his phone.

That's what disclaimers are for ;]

Use big bold red letters above the 1836 kernel with the first words being "NOOBS DO NOT TOUCH THIS KERNEL! IT WILL FRY YOUR PHONE" that will scare them away :p

Upvote 0
Uploaded JB v1.2. Fixed choppiness issue. This is for CM only for now. You can theoretically flash it on AOKP but I will not troubleshoot issues that arise from it. Also, a quick note about the kernel; the GPU overclock is more aggressive so don't expect amazing battery life. This particular kernel is oriented towards performance and speed over battery life. I will probably release a second kernel that is better suited to provide good battery life later on.

Upvote 0
Uploaded JB v1.2. Fixed choppiness issue. This is for CM only for now. You can theoretically flash it on AOKP but I will not troubleshoot issues that arise from it. Also, a quick note about the kernel; the GPU overclock is more aggressive so don't expect amazing battery life. This particular kernel is oriented towards performance and speed over battery life. I will probably release a second kernel that is better suited to provide good battery life later on.

awesome man. Unfortuantely I'm running aokp atm the moment for test purposes but if I switch back to cm i'll definitely be checking out your kernel

Reactions: ortrigger
Upvote 0
I have the Stock ICS ROM as of now and just flashed the ICS Kernel. I will admit that I am a noob to most of this stuff, but can someone explain the benefits of this kernel and what it does? I dont need in depth details, just in a nutshell if possible. and is there anything more that I need to do other than just flashing it?

This kernel allows you to overclock your processor to increase performance. This is especially useful for games and such things. It also has some other tweaks and modifications to help increase performance. The only other thing you will need is a cpu control app. I would personally recommend setCPU but if you don't want to pay for an app, No-Frills CPU Control will work just fine.

Reactions: tessin
Upvote 0
I have setCPU, and set it to 1728 MHz which it says max, thats not going to mess up my phone or anything is it? I have read in a few posts that setting it too high is not good. also will this drain the battery faster? thanks in advance.

That can increase battery drain. I would recommend keeping it between 1295 and 1512 for daily use and only going above that when you need the extra power for games or something.

Reactions: tessin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones