1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Closed Track testing

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by zaphodikus, Jan 29, 2021.

1. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Lurker

I want to get my latest release of the app out to an identified bunch of users quickly (about 1000 users). I understand that I can create a closed track. I must build a "Beta" apk and then
    1. Upload a huge list of email addresses to it, and then send them all a linky
    2. Wait for them to install and for them to give feedback on the new feature if any
    3. after 2 weeks I want to build a release package, and smoke test it, then
    4. I want then close the Closed Beta track , and have them all to be forced onto the new release instead of asking them to remove the beta, which is a little nutso, especially if that means about 500 people will have both apps, sometimes get confused, and will have to remember to uninstall. Will closing remove the Beta App? I know the app will have the banner thingy to remind them, but would like this to be neater. As a side note, I'm feeling uncomfortable having a list of 1000 email addresses, but that's off topic here.

I understand that changing the APP-ID also means customers cannot move their data between the beta app and the release or visa versa, that's a separate question entirely, and our preference in this case as it's an upgrade is to keep the app ID the same if possible. (Most all of data is in-cloud, so users would need to login again, so that complicates the experience slightly, which is a separate consideration.) I understand that this is not what Closed Betas are really for, but ...
    Please tell me I'm misunderstanding the Closed Beta process itself (not the intent).

#1 zaphodikus, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    anushreesparkling likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download