• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Closing Apps

Hello. I use the back button to close apps (I hit the back button until I am back at the home page). However, when I open Advanced Task Killer, the apps are still listed as open and able to be "killed". What am I doing wrong?

Nothing really, the Android OS is pretty good at managing it's own memory. I used to use TasKiller quite heavily, but I have found my phoneis actually quicker when I leave it to do it's own thing

Upvote 0
Clicking the back button doesn't always actually close the program. Like vido.ardes says, android keeps apps open somewhat in the background, but they don't use processing power, the abndroid OS was designed this way (very clever) .

However, people do like to use taskiller to close them down, the advantages of this are very debatable. If you would prefer to do this I recommend an app called Force Close Button. This app sits in your notification bar, and when you click it it closes the current app in use. Its basically like a close button for each app.

Upvote 0
Yeah, don't worry about the amount of memory in use, it's not a problem.

You can potentially save battery life (and data usage) by closing apps though. I'm interested in making the battery last as long as poss, so tend to kill apps.

Although I've not done any benchmarks yet to see how much battery I actually save...I guess I should investigate this :)

Upvote 0
If you would prefer to do this I recommend an app called Force Close Button. This app sits in your notification bar, and when you click it it closes the current app in use. Its basically like a close button for each app.

The problem is it is not available in the Market for all regions. At least I could not find it (My Phone is Asia based, network free, English only version).

Upvote 0
There is an alternative market that you could try, check out SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace and install that market, Then try searching for the app (i'm not sure if its there, but slideme may be beneficial to you anyway)

This particular app is not listed in SlideME either... Anyway thanks a lot Lekky for turning my attention to SlideME market!!! Now, I can search for more apps that I miss in the stock market. :)...

Upvote 0
I actually installed Taskpanel as one of the first apps when I first got my Hero, as I'd read in several places that it helps to save battery life. I got into the habit of routinely closing every app I had used when I was done with it and had apps I didn't use on the auto kill list.
My experience was that I was getting around 36 hours from a full charge with average use ie light web browsing while out and about, several phone calls, taking a few snapshots with the camera and 20+ SMS per day.
Having read elsewhere that Task killers were a waste of time and CPU cycles (they use memory and CPU time running in the background), I decided to uninstall Taskpanel and let Android manage apps like it was designed to do.
I have actually experienced an increase in battery life. My phone was last fully charged at 11PM on Monday night and is now sitting at 67% battery at 1.40PM on Wednesday. I am still using the phone as I was when Taskpanel was installed.
Take away what you will from my non-scientific experiment into battery life with and without a task manager, but I will certainly not be installing another one as it seems I was just wasting time making sure everything was closed down (my fianc

Upvote 0
I actually installed Taskpanel as one of the first apps when I first got my Hero, as I'd read in several places that it helps to save battery life. I got into the habit of routinely closing every app I had used when I was done with it and had apps I didn't use on the auto kill list.
My experience was that I was getting around 36 hours from a full charge with average use ie light web browsing while out and about, several phone calls, taking a few snapshots with the camera and 20+ SMS per day.
Having read elsewhere that Task killers were a waste of time and CPU cycles (they use memory and CPU time running in the background), I decided to uninstall Taskpanel and let Android manage apps like it was designed to do.
I have actually experienced an increase in battery life. My phone was last fully charged at 11PM on Monday night and is now sitting at 67% battery at 1.40PM on Wednesday. I am still using the phone as I was when Taskpanel was installed.
Take away what you will from my non-scientific experiment into battery life with and without a task manager, but I will certainly not be installing another one as it seems I was just wasting time making sure everything was closed down (my fianc

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
My phone is fine, with a lot of stuff running at once.
Do you have the latest rom for your phone? There was an issue with sluggishness on older versions of the Hero's software which was fixed with an update. To check this-
From the Home screen-
Menu
Settings
About phone
Check the build number. If it doesn't start with 2.73 then you need to update it. Check your mobile provider's website or HTC's site for the latest rom.

Upvote 0
Thanks, kingvortex. My build number does start with 2.73.

I am also still using the stock mSD card but have a larger, class 6 card coming. I got one despite having a hard time finding info on whether this will speed up my phone considering the fact I do not take a lot of pictures with the phone and store no music on it. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones