1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Closing Apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by naviwilliams, Aug 16, 2012.

1. naviwilliams

naviwilliams Android Enthusiast

I was under the impression, that to close an app, one had to press the back button till you're back to the main screen on the device...

Is that not the case?

I just tested with Twitter. I opened the app, checked my stream, then pressed the back button a few times till I was back to the main screen.
    I then held the home button, and it was still showing in the 'Task Manger'.

So, I guess the question is, how does one REALLY close an app? Is the only way via the Task Manager?

Thanks in advance

Ivan

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Some apps can be closed by pressing back, although some needs to be forced via task mannager before fully closing.

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Here's a great explanation from "mrgibbage" on another forum:

"There is a misconception here that I will try to clear up. The notion that a program is running in the background, or at the same time, like windows allows, simply does not exist in Android. Yes, there are apps that can load themselves as services, but for all practical purposes, only one program is running at any time in Android, and that's the program in the foreground. Yes, Android keeps track of the last six apps that you ran so it can start them back up again, but all it does is store a very small stub in its memory. This memory was already set aside for this purpose, so even if you could clear it out, it wouldn't free up anything for you to use.
    Like I said, there are programs that can run as services, and as such, they can run in the background and therefore they are running all the time. Android is very careful to not allow such processes take up very much of the cpu total cycle. If you are truly having a problem where your phone is getting sluggish (although I highly suspect this is your imagination and misconception after using windows for so many years where this truly is a reality), then I would systematically try to figure out what app is causing the problem and uninstall it."

So to specifically answer your question, I don't believe that the app will remove itself from the task manager unless you swipe it away via the task manager itself.

4. 95zx9r

95zx9r Newbie

download application monitor app its just what your looking for.

5. Macmagoo

Macmagoo Newbie

Hold down the home button then swipe the open apps to the left, that seems to do the trick.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews