1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cloud Contacts Backup Failed!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Smokey_Vols85, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Smokey_Vols85

Smokey_Vols85 Lurker

Since the most recent update (4.4.4) I have constantly received a notification stating "Cloud Contacts Backup Failed". I have tried clicking on the drop down notification and it will disappear for about 20 minutes and come back up. Clicking on it doesn't do anything. I have tried searching through the settings for 'back up' and found nothing pertaining to the contacts. Anyone know how to fix this? I am using the Galaxy S5

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

I have mine setup to use WiFi only for backups.

so far, no problems with it.

but, I only backup Contacts, not the apps or pictures.
    Those I do locally via USB cable to pc.

3. mes5991

mes5991 Lurker

I have the same issue. Only started happening after installing the most recent update. I have not yet figured out what the deal is.

4. Smokey_Vols85

Smokey_Vols85 Lurker

Mine is set up for a WiFi back up as well. I stay in WiFi 80% of the time. The only time I run in 4G is when I am on the road. I have tried restarting the phone and doing a shut down completely. Nothing seems to work. I'm guessing it is a minor flaw with the new update. Just a slight annoyance with my OCD having the cloud icon constantly pop up on my notification bar.

5. newSuperHuman

newSuperHuman Lurker

I have the same problem. I am not sure if it's related, but after the update I was also forced to update Visual Voice Mail (I didn't really want it since I already have google voice), and that has a similar problem of not being able to install/update properly

6. Smokey_Vols85

Smokey_Vols85 Lurker

Now that you mention I was not able to fully set up visual voice mail after being forced to update it as well. I thought it was most likely because I was in a spotty service area and had forgotten about it until now.

7. ChasBoomer

ChasBoomer Lurker

Add me to the list of problematic updates. Visual Voicemail forced itself to be redone, and now constantly getting "Cloud Contacts Backup Failed!" error message. Very annoying.

Stopped at a Verizon store for "technical support" on this matter. The boobs there could barely tie their shoelaces and had no clue. Their only recommendation was to delete Cloud and re-install it.

8. pmgpriebe

pmgpriebe Lurker

This fixes it for me..

Open your Contacts.. Click.the dropdown menu and select Cloud. Give it a minute to set up. It seemed to hang on me, but u gave it more time and it finally opened. Click the dropdown menu in cloud and then Settings. Adjust accordingly. Viola! No more error.

9. abbyt

abbyt Lurker

I have tried the solution indicated above, however I can't get past changing the e-mail account. There is an account listed which isn't a current account and the system won't allow me to change it - even when I over-write it the system continually is in an 'Updating Account' mode - for hours - until I cancel it. I'm new to the Galaxy 5S - do I need to address the error e-mail account somewhere else on the phone? Thank you.

10. "Cloud Contacts Backup Failed"

Easy Breezy fix that worked for me after getting that message since the last update on my Galaxy S5:

Sign into your account at Verizon Wireless dot com.
    Click on Manage My Device ,
    then on Manage My Contacts.
    From here you can Setup or sync your Backup Assistant contacts to the cloud. You will have the option to add in contacts from other email accounts. When it gives you the option, click that you are done setting up.

Poof! Annoying reminder gone!

I hope this helps someone more than the endless, useless replies I waded through saying things like "Verizon sucks. Use another backup program''.

I agree. Verizon sucks. And perhaps using another backup program would be a better choice. But it's an option, not an answer to the problem.

If you dislike what I'm posting all I can say is, "You suck. Read a different post."

I am FloritoDeLeche. Thank you for this opportunity to whine and hopefully be helpful at the same time. Cheers, Bitzes! :)

11. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

Verizon's website is bit of a PITA, but it works, and so far with about 15 years with them, it has always been an option that I leave ON.

No harm in having the VZW cloud keep a backup of your contacts.

I do NOT use it to back up documents, photos, etc... only Contacts and SMS messages.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews