1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cloud storage questions

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by spman, Jul 4, 2013.

1. spman

spman Android Enthusiast

1) Is it possible to instantly save to cloud storage like dropbox without saving to the phone first? For example if I take an image or video, it is instantly saved inside dropbox instead of my phone memory.

2) Is it possible to set cloud storage to sync files immediately when I save a file in my phone memory/sd card? For example when I take a picture, it is save to my phone, I also want a copy of the picture in my cloud storage (e.g. dropbox) immediately automatically.

3) What cloud storage is the best?

4) How to do backup using cloud storage?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. LilBit

LilBit Extreme Android User

spman and funkylogik like this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

1.) No its not. You can't send a file that's not yet created to the cloud AFAIK. Its more of its not safe that way. If you do it like that, any intermittent disconnection would break the file. For example, a video would get broken if you yanked the memory card out of the recorder while it was recording. Same thing happens when you lose connection while making a video for example. You save the file then it can be sent to a cloud storage then deleted later.

2.) This feature you are asking for is standard on Dropbox and Sugarsync. I personally use Sugarsync for this, mainly because they had offered it before Dropbox did and I was too lazy to switch. Especially since Sugarsync is able to be set to select what folders you want to upload from on your phone natively, and they get saved into a specific folder on your PC as well that wont get deleted even if the servers crashed.

3.) Personally I prefer Sugarsync out of all of those I've tried.

4.) Depends on the cloud storage. If you use Dropbox, you'd have to download Dropsync or Foldersync to select which folders to backup to cloud. Sugarsync app does this natively.

spman, mikedt and funkylogik like this.
  4. spman

spman Android Enthusiast

Is there a name for the feature that I am asking for? Besides Dropbox and Sugarsync, any more other companies have this feature?

If I understand correcly, if I am using Sugarsync and I take a picture, the picture immediately is saved to my phone memory, and one copy of the picture is immediately saved to Sugarsync, so how does "they get saved into a specific folder on your PC as well" work?

Thanks

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Its called "Photo Upload" on Sugarsync, and "Photo Backup" on Dropbox, so its just a photo backup service anyway. And on Sugarsync it will depend on your setup. My setup is as you described: taking a picture saves one in the memory card, then Sugarsync uploads this to its servers. I have SugarSync for Windows on my PC, and if you have PhotoUpload active on your devices, this applications creates a folder called "Mobile Photos" inside my MyPictures folder. This is like a camera reel, where every single photo you have snapped gets backed up to this folder as well as Sugarsync servers.

Sugarsync and Dropbox can be customized I think to upload photos either immediately, or only when connected to WiFi. Not sure about Dropbox but Sugarsync also backs up videos you have taken.

funkylogik and spman like this.
  6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

1. Yes, once the file is complete.
    2. Yes, any file, not just photos.
    3. Dropbox, hands down.
    4. Check out Helium and FolderSync.

spman likes this.