1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support cluttered SD card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tempusfugit, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Is there a setting/app/rom that makes ONE folder, with subfolders for every program that needs data on SD? Instead of filling up my SD with a million folders I'll probably never actually need to look in more than once? I miss windows and program files..

edit: to be clear I'm not talking about A2SD, or froyo move to SD, I'm talking about user data that gets saved to the SD, and makes a folder in root.

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Unfortunately, there's no good way of doing that. If an app has rights to write the sdcard, it can put whatever it wants where ever it wants on the card. You have no control over where the data goes on the card. There are some "standard" locations on the card for app data, but not all apps put their data there. If you or some app were to try and move that data, the app would no longer see its data, and just recreate the directory that was there to begin with. I agree that it's frustrating, but there's not much you can do about it. That being said, if you uninstall an app that put something on the card, feel free to remove it.

Tempusfugit likes this.
  3. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Ya, I figured as much, and yes its apps I still use so I can't just delete. I've gone into a couple and don't see options for changing the save directory.. Most of them are camera programs, so gallery would find the folder anywhere on SD... the rest like I said will probably never need anything in the folder.

Could I trick apps into thinking root of SD is actually a folder on SD?

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Yes, but it's not much more useful in this case. You would basically have to create a symlink on the root of the card that points to a folder. The problem is that a bunch of symlinks (aka shortcuts) is going to create just as much clutter as actual directories.

Tempusfugit likes this.
  5. TF1984

TF1984 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    International Trade
    Southeast US
    You're better off creating a folder on the SD card for YOUR files and ignoring everything else. The SD card storage acts just like a system folder on your PC, therefore all apps and data will write to the Root (main file) of your SD card and there is no way around this.

Tempusfugit likes this.
Tags: