1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root CM 7.0 Nightlies

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tfleming23, Jan 18, 2011.

1. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Been running #11 now for about 12 hours, and so far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. The best battery life I've had in awhile, and I haven't noticed anything getting shut down prematurely or anything. Hhmmn... I hope its a good sign of things to come. *crossing fingers*

Advertisement

2. cablerep79

cablerep79 Newbie
    None

Nov 24, 2010
    Elko, Ga
    I do, and have since stock 2.2 when I purchased Launcher Pro. I haven't had ANY memory management issues since abandoning task killers months ago. The App Nazi feature only surfaced on #8 for me and again with #11. If it doesn't clear by the next build, I guess I'll try doing a full wipe. It's been awhile anyway.

3. essplode

essplode Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    The aggressive task manager on these new GB roms may force me to go back to froyo soon :/

I'll give the CM7 nightlies a few more builds...but if it doesn't get remedied soon Ill have to go back.

4. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Worldwide Logistics by day,Website design by night
    Olympus, Back on the throne!!!
    I have to stay on Froyo, at least for the time being. I have tried all of the GB ROMs and must say that CM7 and UD are my favorite, but even with changing heap size settings, compache, etc, I cannot reliably use any of them.

I was really bummed at first, but I figure, at least I have the next best thing. Besides, I like Frozen Yogurt better than Gingerbread anyways. I've never really been a big fan of the taste of Gingerbread (any style).

Kratos

eXsoR likes this.
  5. eXsoR

eXsoR Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    I'm going through the same thing. CM 1.6.2 is the only stable ROM that i like. i think CM7 nightly's are not the best for daily use. i was on full-#8 and it reboot while i was talking to my boss and other time on my clients, which looks really unprofessional. so i wait till CM7 is stable for daily use. ~Cyanogen Mod all the way~
    :D

6. coonster

coonster Member
    None

Oct 30, 2010
    1.Is it possible to stop GB from killing SetCPU?
    2.Setting the VM heap size to the max isn't necessarily the best thing, is it? How do you determine what the best setting is?
    3. Does anyone compress memory? I think that's what it's called, but there's an option to do something like 15% and then some other options. Just trying to make minor tweaks here and there to compensate for some of GB's quirks.

I debated going back to 6.1.2 because GB really is no different for me than FroYo. Thing is, the Market I use to download certain apps is down. I guess I could TiBU it.

7. cablerep79

cablerep79 Newbie
    None

Nov 24, 2010
    Elko, Ga
    I restored build #6 and all is well again. All of my widgets and music stay running while multitasking. I'll wait a few builds and see if they get it fixed. That was very frustrating.

8. dpn982

dpn982 Guest
    None
    Just flashed build #12 looking good so far.

9. messenger13

None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    OK, this is VERY interesting. I just went to the Market and found that three of my apps had updates. I updated, as usual, then opened Titanium Backup to backup the new versions. I ran the 'Batch' feature and that tells me how many new apps & newer versions of apps I need to backup. I expected it to say '3'. Instead, there were over 40 new versions of apps to backup!!! Most of them were system apps. This means that there's a whole lot of new stuff under the hood in Build Full-12. Hopefully, it's all for the better. I am liking 12 so far.

10. cablerep79

cablerep79 Newbie
    None

Nov 24, 2010
    Elko, Ga
    No multitasking/memory issues in this one?

11. ShuttleXpC

ShuttleXpC Newbie
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    I notice keyboard errors with Swype on this (#12), if I click a word to replace it with something else the copy/paste dialog box pops up like I had held it down which then locks Swype from exiting the edit select dialog. Its not an issue because you can still click the swype key whilst inside a word and it will allow you to replace it. Seems like the timer for how long you actually held down something for the edit box was heavily reduced.

That is the only issue I've had so far.

12. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Yeah, we have a limited amount of RAM, and unfortunately, GB requires more active RAM to run, meaning we have less left over for us to use with our apps, multi-tasking and widgets. Unless someone is able to manage to put together a GB 'lite' edition, stripped of components but givig enough of the core of GB to us, I seriously doubt Motorola will release this for the DROID.

ExpertOnTech (aka winner00) just recently psted a new build of his - I'm hitting it up in a few minutes....

Surprising. Most people do - but it also depends upon how much free RAM you have to play with in the first place....

It's not going to get fixed overnight. Unless you're absolutely willing to deal with things like reboots. soft reboots, low memory issue, background app FCs and whatnot, I'd recommend that you stay away from GB ROMs.

Of course, having said that, I'm using CM7 (winner00's mod) as my daily driver :p

Yeah, if you phone is used for business, you really have no choice.

Well, yes and no.

Yes if you have absolutely no other apps running taking up background memory - and I mean none - no apps, no widgets, no swype, etc.

Otherwise, if SetCPU is running in the background, and you call up an app that needs RAM now, it is gonna kill to allow you to run the app.

However, CM7 nightlies have their own CPU governor - so unles you use profiles, there really is no need to even use SetCPU in the first place.

It's going to be hard to fix it - the GB core services use a lot more RAM initially than the FRoYo core services do - unless they can get that trimmed down, this is always going to be a factor on GB on the DROID and its limited RAM.

I've had the same issue for a few builds now, since winner00's 7-2 build (?)

Try it in landscape and see what happens - in mine, Swype popup box wins instead of the edit/cut/copy dialog box and I can fix the word.

I meant to check earlier to see if this had been reported yet or not - thanks for the reminder.

ShuttleXpC likes this.
  13. coonster

coonster Member
    None

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, profiles, I feel are what keeps my battery life. I have it at 125 max/min when the screen is off, on powersave.

14. bkooie

bkooie Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Apps I own in the android market are no longer showing up as owned for me. I have the right google account signed in. Any suggestions? This problem is on both build 10 and 11.

15. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Worldwide Logistics by day,Website design by night
    Olympus, Back on the throne!!!
    To be honest, I have been thinking of trying to partition my laptop and installing Linux to try to make my own ROM.

I'll see what happens...

Kratos

16. dpn982

dpn982 Guest
    None
    Yeah I am not sure what build this changed in but the android version on the status screen shows 2.3.3 now

17. cablerep79

cablerep79 Newbie
    None

Nov 24, 2010
    Elko, Ga
    Wiped and installed #12 this morning. Everything seems great so far. I also tried and found My Backup Root is a lot more reliable and hands free than Titanium Backup.

18. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm liking My Backup Root as well, the only feature that it doesn't have that I need is restoring the apps to where they were when backed up. I have a lot of apps on my SD card for storage reasons and when I try to restore using My Backup Root I run out of storage because it restores everything to the phone.

Has anyone found a work around or solution to that? Because TiBu does not play well at all for me with CM7.

19. coonster

coonster Member
    None

Oct 30, 2010
    Gonna be switching from the nightlies to the 6.1.2 Stable because I can't answer calls because the process Phone keeps on not responding. I just listen to my ringtone and see the caller ID, but it won't swipe to answer it. Missed call and I gotta call em back.

Too frustrating.

20. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    Male
    Driver
    Ohio
    I honestly have not seen these issues people on here are mentioning. Granted I don't run any kind of streaming apps, but everything else has been working just fine. About all I use my phone for anymore, is just a phone though. I check weather, text, browse a bit, and play a little angry birds, bout it.

As for my phone rebooting during a call, I have not had that happen once on these latest builds. It did happen every now n then on older GB builds, but never seen it on anything past like #30.

And with TiBu, I have also not ran into problems using it, however the only batch I do is backups. I still go in and reinstall apps 1 by 1, sometimes I'll do a group of 5 or so. Still makes me wonder if people are restoring system apps in their batches and that's what is causing the problems. I also do NOT let Google restore any app data at all, maybe that is another issue.

I use LauncherPro paid as well, and not seen many issues with that either. I have keep home in memory checked under Cyanogen settings, and don't have many issues with redraw. Every once in a while it will, but honestly it's not that big of an issue, maybe a second or two. I think some people are just being too picky.

The nightlies have been my daily use ROMs since build #28 or so was released, and they really haven't given me enough problems to make me dislike the ROM. Even battery life is fairly good (w/ RZK LV 1.2ghz kernel), though still not on par with some Froyo roms I had. I think the main problems either come from people not fully wiping everything, or restoring things they shouldn't be. Who knows, could also be the apps they run causing problems.

21. messenger13

None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    I can honestly say that, with this Build #12, I've gotten my old phone back ... except now with GingerBread. :cool: Battery life is "good" ... not great, but good enough. I'm not experiencing reboots, missed calls, or apps shutting down prematurely. I'm using a 1.2GHz kernel, and she's running cool and smooth.

Twice yesterday, I used my DROID as a GPS, while listening to Pandora, and receiving emails and texts ... and a few phone calls. Not a single glitch. I am extremely satisfied at this point. :)

22. messenger13

None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Wow. I can't believe how quiet this thread has become today. Especially considering how well this latest release is behaving on my DROID.

23. djkeller3

djkeller3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Business Owner
    Lexington, KY
    Yeah, it's like that in the Incredible forum too. 12 is working so fast and smooth and perfect on my DInc that I'm not sure what else they can do to improve it performance-wise. The 2.3.3 build is extremely solid and stable.

24. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    Male
    Driver
    Ohio
    8 hours off charger and at 70% battery with 1ghz clock speed. That's with a few calls and a good bit of texting. I'm pretty happy with build 12, though they all have been pretty nice.

Only apps that sync in background are: Weatherx2 (BW, Weatherbug), Gmail/K9, Facebook, Google News. As you can tell, not a whole lot, so probably why my battery does well.

25. coonster

coonster Member
    None

Oct 30, 2010
    What kernel are you using and at what speed?