1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root CM-7 Camera issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by izaksdad, May 25, 2011.

1. izaksdad

izaksdad Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Full time student/dad
    East Texas
    I've been poking around the blog for a while and have picked up some great tips for my ascend. I started with rooting then went the Icarus 1.1 route. Curiosity overcame me then I flashed CM-7 (one of the earliest) and was a little overwhelmed with how bleeding edge it was. I was not happy with camera bugs so I downgraded to CM-6 for a while. This got rid of camera issues, but I liked the cyanogen tweaks more in CM-7. Finally I got bold and flashed the 05142011 release of CM-7 and everything settled in and worked fine for a few days (even the camera). Little by little I re-installed apps that I had been using on Icarus and CM-6 but something broke the camera again. After multiple reboots I got it to work briefly then exited camera then went back in only to have it FC.

I tried uninstalling those apps one by one to see which one was offending but am having no success.

Anyone else having problems with CM-7 camera after it was initially working? If you fixed it, what worked? Is it possibly related to GPS (geo-tagging)?

At this point I am going to backup and re-flash...
    If that doesn't work I am going back to CM-6 for good. I need my camera to work.

Advertisement

2. izaksdad

izaksdad Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Full time student/dad
    East Texas
    As it turns out I found the culprit. Barcode scanners cause camera to crash on my phone. After re-flashing and installing barcode scanner, it crashed my camera immediately. I uninstalled it and cleared my caches then re-booted now the camera works ok.

KOLIO likes this.
  3. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Making you wonder?
    Lone Star State
    If you flash the latest build can works perfect, but it just the scanner that doesn't work.

izaksdad likes this.
  4. stamper

stamper Member
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    Exec Chef
    Duluth, GA
    From what I have read from postings by Issac87 barcode scanners will never work on the Ascend due to the fact that the phone does not have real autofocus. Autofocus was faked somehow by the Huawei engineers on the stock rom.
    Issac87 said that he was not going to work on that issue so if we are going to run CM7 then we need to accept the fact that we will not be using barcode scanners. Not a big deal for me, I would rather run CM7 than go back to stock just to use the barcode scanners.

5. izaksdad

izaksdad Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Full time student/dad
    East Texas
    I have been able to get the barcode reader to work occasionally but I have never had it crash my camera completely. It is something I can live without I guess until I can afford a phone with a better camera, more memory, faster processor, etc....

I did only pay about $130 for the thing with no contract, can't complain too much I 'spose. It has been a good platform to learn on. Now I know what I really want in the next phone.

6. Zoos

Zoos Member
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    USSR->ISRAEL->USA
    from my experience with CM7: any app that use camera (except the original) will crash camera. tried to use FX camera - crash, LiveJournal camera - not responsive.

7. Rokyn

Rokyn Newbie
    None

May 7, 2011
    Well,if you must use a barcode scanner you can always just take a picture of the barcode with the regular camera and then have QR Droid use the read from image option. That works just fine. Just make sure you get a clear picture.

8. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Making you wonder?
    Lone Star State

thanks for info, if this works, you done a good deed...

9. Lennatron

Lennatron Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 2, 2010
    Male
    College Student
    PA
    Thats a great idea. I'm gonna try it out.