• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CM install problem

vinyyc

Lurker
Jun 19, 2013
Hi,

Another day, another problem... do the early days of rooting always start this way??

Anyway, now that I've successfully rooted my phone (btw, thanks Atma!), I thought I'd try out some custom ROMs. First on my list to try was CM. I've gone through the first couple steps, but didn't get far before hitting a snag.

I've downloaded CWM recovery, the Heimdall Suite and the Redistributable Visual C++ package (the x86 version) to my computer. Got my GSII into download mode (I'm a pro at that now!). Ran zadig.exe, selected Samsung Mobile USB CDC Composite Device, then clicked Install Driver. The installer starts working, but I get the following error message popping up:

installer_x86.exe - Entry Point Not Found​

The procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll.​

When I click "OK", the installation appears to carry on and I get a "Driver installed successfully" notification at the end. The status bar at botttom of Zadig also shows "Driver Installation: SUCCESS". I question it's success based on the errors, but decided to give the next step a try anyway.

I move CWM recovery into the heimdall directory, and enter the following on the command line:

heimdall flash --recovery recovery.img --no-reboot

Then I get the following error message:

heimdall.exe is not a valid Win32 application.​

When I click ok, "Access denied" appears on the command line screen.

Anyone know what my problem might be?

(btw, I'm using WinXP)

Thanks!

I'll admit, it did seem like I was doing things twice, and that there should have been a simpler way, but I was just following the install instructions I found...

I went from:

to the Cyanogenmod link on that page

then I followed the link for "installation and release notes":

and then found a final link on that page for installation instructions here:

and that's the page I found that instructed me to use Heimdall (at least, the way I was reading it).

As I mentioned, it did seem like I was doing things twice (installing another recovery), but I've read over and over that things can go really wrong when people don't follow the instructions. Is there a different place with instructions? Did I miss something somewhere else?

Upvote 0
Reactions: vinyyc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones