1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General CM Security - How is this best anti-malware app?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by deltaforce, Sep 13, 2015.

1. deltaforce

deltaforce Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 17, 2012
    I was checking some antivirus/anti-malware app to install on my rooted S4 and over and over I came across CM Security as one of the top contenders. I checked in the Play Store and that app is by Cheetah Mobile. Knowing the reputation of this company, it strikes me super odd for this app to have 4.7 stars to this application.

I checked other apps by them, https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Cheetah+Mobile+(AppLock+&+AntiVirus) QuickPic is not part of this bunch but its by Cheetah Mobile 'Cloud' (https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Cheetah+Mobile+Cloud+(NYSE:CMCM)) Anyone knows what the heck is going on and can confirm my suspicion, there is something really odd going on with CM security.

So what other antivirus/anti-malware you guys use. I used to use Lookout, but don't want to shell out for premium.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It wouldn't surprise me if a vast number of those reviews are bought or faked...

Quickpic was very recently bought by Cheetah Mobile, so the majority of the 5 star reviews for QP are pre CM purchase. If you sort the reviews by most recent, most of them are 1 star.

If you're careful with what you install, you don't really need AV. If you're worried about it though, take a look at malwarebytes. :)

vosg, Hadron, Crashdamage and 3 others like this.
  3. deltaforce

deltaforce Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 17, 2012
    Usually I am careful not to install any shady looking app. Since Play Store reputation isn't as good as iOS store, and with phone rooted, I am little afraid. Hence, considering covering my rear end.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    By definition a security app needs a huge range of permissions. Hence one thing you really DO NOT want on your phone is a rogue security app. So if installing such an app be extra careful which you install & where from.