• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Right. I understand that no problem. I've created one w/ ES File Explorer. My question is, is it in the right directory? And is the file structure correct?

Is the nandroid.md5 supposed to be created in the kitjelly folder or the backup folder?

The instructions seem to suggest nandroid.md5 is to be created in the folder inside the backup folder (which would be kitjelly).

I just wanted to make sure everything was correct before flashing my first ROM.

Thanks for the help.

the nandroid.md5 goes in the folder with all the files, boot.img, recovery.img, .tar.

rename the folders backwards from kitkat, then copy clockworkmod to the root of extsd

Dm52zmB.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
hope this helps

Reactions: harpua1982
Upvote 0
Yes. Drowningblue, that helped immensely.

I am very new to this so forgive me for being somewhat n00bish (OK, completely n00bish). After numerous Google searches and even some searching through this forum, I still have a few questions before I try flashing this new Rom.

• I understand that I need to install a custom recovery. I cannot do this through the ROM Manager App b/c my device (*Rooted* SPH-M840) is not supported. By doing this I may risk bricking my device. Is this correct?
  • [Recovery]ClockworkMod 6.0.3.7 recovery for Ring is available here in the forum. This will allow me to boot into recovery mode and create a backup for the ROM I currently have. I also need to do this to reboot to clockworkmod. Is this correct?
  • The above link gives me this file: CWM_Prevail2_Ring_Koumajutsu.tar. Where exactly do I put this file?
  • Once I've entered all the kitjelly files in the place they need to be, I reboot to clockworkmod (power + volume up) and backup my current rom before flashing the kitjelly rom. Will this save all my data (tasker profiles, zooper widgets ect) or is Titanium Backup what I need for that? I have actually saved a lot of my data on my computer's external hard drive just in case.
  • I just started noticing that some items that I've just recently transferred to my phone's External SD card via USB cable from my computer are disappearing. For example, I transferred kitjelly to my phone last night. This morning it was gone. Transferred it back on there this morning and tonight it was gone. Will this be a problem after install is complete?
  • If I do happen to brick my phone, I can restore settings by using, the [Stock][Odin] Ring Backup SPH-M840 (not real sure where that rercovery.tar.md5 file goes, but i mights could figger it out)

Again, sorry for all the n00bish questions. I also apologize if this information is located in a different part of the forum that I might have missed or overlooked. Just scared to take the plunge w/out knowing all that I can know about root/rom flashing/creating custom recovery. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome.

Upvote 0
hey its fine harpua1982 we are all noobs. :) anyways to answer your questions, yes you need a custom recovery, that link is the actual clockworkmod recovery, so far its the only working custom recovery. To install this you need to download this.

http://s463927618.onlinehome.us/android/tools/Odin3-v3.04.zip

also that tar file from that fourm u mentioned

this is Odin. it is specifically for Samsung phones, (i believe). it can be used to flash custom recoveries. Now before i continue this voids your warranty. moving on... extract the .zip somewhere. k plug ur phone up to ur computer. now turn off your phone. okay this is where it gets tricky: press the power and the volume down at the same time and hold it. after some time it should give u a warring about somethin. press volume up to continue. a cute little android should pop up saying downloading... please do not turn off target. now your computer should be installing some drivers let that finish. Now fire up odin and have the clockworkmod .tar at hand. when u open it should look something like this:

1kaVysS.jpg

(mabey not so many but it should say added)

k next click on pda and select the cwm .tar file in ur file browser. check the box next to pda and uncheck auto reboot. your screen should look simmiar to this:

yRqGQeC.jpg

now click start!! now it might take a bit but it should say done or something and odin should look like this:

ssnMeYA.jpg

now heres the tricky part: hold the power button till it turns off, then right after hold the power and volume up! now this is important because if you dont the recovery you just installed will be over written. a hat should come up and a blue menu. just select reboot and it will ask you if you want to fix something go down and select yes. then you are done! you now have cwm. to boot into it just turn ur phone off and hold power and volume up. hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Hmm, that's hasn't happen to me...Yet?
Here try this,
If that doesn't work use the DISABLE.zip

worked like a charm! and the reason it happens to me is cuz i use smart launcher and i have to use a plugin to force to set it as default. (basically another app. its a bug with some phones), so i set the default launcher as the force app and when i press home it opens the force app then opens smart launcher, so it thinks the force app is the launcher so thats why it isnt transparent, but its really nothing that can be fixed, its just my stubbornness ( i dont wanna change my launcher) XP but im fine with it being black all the time.

Upvote 0
Success! Thank You so much, drowningblue!! Got the CWM-based recovery screen. Now it is at this point that I want to do a backup, right? After that, I can use this to flash kitjelly?

Edit: I went ahead and backed everything up to my sd. Real problem, though. Saw it in Es Browser and a split second later it was gone. For some reason lately all files recently created or copied over from PC seem to get deleted somehow from external sd card.

Edit2: happens every time I reboot. I back it up, then go back and can see the backup when i choose restore from exSD. Once I reboot, I choose restore from exSD and the backup is gone. Come to think of it, this happened about a week before I rooted the phone. I took a picture over the weekend that was stored on my exSD, and Monday it was gone.

Edit3: The issue of files disappearing from my external sd card seems to be an issue w/ the 64GB Skandisc micro SD card. ScanDisc is aware of this problem and may issue a repair or replacement. I went ahead and used another SD card to get the backup on my PC, but I might just wait till I get a replacement SD, before I go any further.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones