• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM10 Development (moved to upp)

SuperR

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2010
Invisible
This thread will be updated on upp from here forward. Please visit upp to continue following CM10 Development. Thanks.

Here is the RECOVERY device tree for the warp sequent. This should serve as a starting point now that we have cwm...happy developing :)

edit: updated device tree to match new cwm6 beta 2
edit2: added that this is the recovery device tree, not the rom device tree.
edit3: same file, new name and location

wish i knew how to port, then i couldve worked on this. if someone can just tell us how we might go about doing it, because some of us have free time on our hands lol. i dont have school right now im on vacations and im suupper bored during the day. maybe someone has links to guides on porting or something that can help me, ive been looking but found nothing useful. please i really want to get this started, if it hasnt been already :)

Upvote 0
tutorials
HTC One XL: Compile CyanogenMod (Linux) - CyanogenMod Wiki
Howto: Build a Kernel Port - CyanogenMod Wiki
My Brain Hurts: Porting Clockwork Recovery to New Devices

and since the warp 1 and 2 are almost identical, you can compare warp 1 stuff like their cyanogenmods and what not, poke around their forum see what source codes you can find, and also there is a copy of our kernel source, im pretty sure its on hoarks github, that has been modified to build on the warp 1, i think its called n861_two_n860 or something along those lines, very good source for comparison if you want to build a new kernel, then just find some other kernels sources from the warp one and you should have a pretty good idea of what needs to be modified

i wish you luck, personally ive always got time on my hands, for now tho my brain does indeed hurt just as the clockworkmod porting tutorial website suggests, so i think im gonna take a break from coding for a few unless someone comes up with another huge bug in cwm

Upvote 0
this is how i learned, a month ago i had no idea how cwm even worked, and linux rarely did anything but frustrate me, after alot of google searching and trial and error though superr and i got the job done
the key to success is failure my friend, lots and lots of failure, because if there are 100 ways to do something and only one is right, you do it wrong 99 different ways you have your answer, and you have learned along the way, during trial and error always pay attention to what changes do, even if they dont do what you wanted they may cause a whole new problem, or maybe even do something amazing you wont want to lose

Upvote 0
I have been piddling around with building cm10. I have not gotten a successful build yet, but I am getting closer I think. I started out with hoarks cm9 device tree and changed arthur to warp2 in every file and filename. I then copied our device tree over his to replace existing files. I think it is stopping at some video drivers?

hardware/qcom/media/mm-video/vidc/vdec/test/omx_vdec_test.cpp:327:27: error: aggregate 'mdp_overlay overlay' has incomplete type and cannot be defined
hardware/qcom/media/mm-video/vidc/vdec/test/omx_vdec_test.cpp: In function 'void PrintFramePackArrangement(OMX_QCOM_FRAME_PACK_ARRANGEMENT)':
hardware/qcom/media/mm-video/vidc/vdec/test/omx_vdec_test.cpp:627:37: warning: format '%d' expects argument of type 'int', but argument 2 has type 'OMX_U32 {aka long unsigned int}' [-Wformat]

These are a few of the first errors. All of them seem to relate to "omx_vdec_test.cpp"
Any ideas?

Upvote 0
ok first off, the copy and paste method is not as good as building a rom specifically for the device
second as far as the whole video driver issue i really dont know, i have no idea about any of it but one thing i do know is the screen setup for the phone is wrong, there was an option somewhere about it, ill look into it in a while but right now im having technical difficulties not related to technology. nothing is harder to debug than a drunk angry woman lol

Upvote 0
ok first off, the copy and paste method is not as good as building a rom specifically for the device
second as far as the whole video driver issue i really dont know, i have no idea about any of it but one thing i do know is the screen setup for the phone is wrong, there was an option somewhere about it, ill look into it in a while but right now im having technical difficulties not related to technology. nothing is harder to debug than a drunk angry woman lol

So, how do I get source code for the zte hardware so I can build it? Did they release full ics source for their drivers and everything or just the kernel?

edit: forgot to say sorry for your troubles. I am rooting for you again!!!

Upvote 0
just the kernel unfortunately, but there are ways to just do them as already built
that is a generic driver though im pretty sure
but ok here is the deal, you are going to want to start over with the hoark source
and then do not copy and paste our things over them, you will just have to manually edit all the info in because our files are missing some important parts, and make sure to get the stuff in "root" as well, check all directories and everything
you will want to just overwrite the graphics.c, and the recovery.fstab, and then make sure you change the recovery_mmc.fstab to match the changes we made

but before starting any of that work, put the hoark source in, and dont touch anything, just build and see if it works right because it was build for ics not jellybean and we are using jellybean at the moment unless you repo sync'd cm9 since then. if it doesnt build from hoarks source then there is probably an issue with the verison of cyanogen we are using not the device tree

Upvote 0
test 1

does hoarks source build in cm10?

if [ "$answer" = "yes" ]; then

step 2 is going to be replacing all prebuilts with those from our phone, my plan was to go through and do all that but i never finished. you gotta make sure to replace everything that he has in the prebuilts with stuff from our rom

then step 3 would be to go through and edit all the sh, rc, mk, and everything else that is a script to be built and make sure it is modified to match our phone, like i said the only things you can direct copy are the recovery.fstab and the graphics.c everything else has to be recoded by hand...

Upvote 0
yep, there are a couple ways to take the stuff from our rom, either unpack a backup, or use the adb pull command on the sys and system directories, i had most of it already from when i deodexed manually, look at shinru's guide to see how he got the files onto the computer from the phone im pretty sure he just did a pull tho

the app and framework directories are all in my deodex zip already deodexed so you can use those for that stuff if you like, but yea basically its just gonna be a long tedious process, all the libs except maybe a few are there i know that, technically that should get it working for us to start out with and we can go from there

and i dunno if you know how to sync cm9 instead of 10 so i figure ill mention it, when you repo again do "-b ics" instead of "-b jellybean"
and you will have to go through the guide to build cyanogenmod from source again to be able to make sure you have everything necessary for the full build, do that before even going through downloading cm9, because you may just be missing a small piece that we didnt need for recovery building alone

Upvote 0
kool, and i did just remember something that will help ALOT
its the lazy mans way to copy the files necessary over instead of having to go through them one by one
im not sure if it will work in linux correctly but i know it works in windows, i just cant get the source at the moment bad signal

from the prebuild directory, open up one of the directories in there, such as lib for example
now you will need 2 copies of our extracted rom
select all in the folder from hoarks source and copy
paste it all into the first copy of our rom replacing all, this will cause all the files we replaced to be selected
then invert the selection(i know there is an option for this in windows but im not sure about ubuntu's nautilus), this will select everything that we DIDNT replace with things found in hoarks source
then copy again and paste into folder 2, this will replace all the things in that folder that we dont need to copy to hoarks source, and cause them to be selected, we can then just delete everything selected and the only things left in that directory will be the files we need
copy everything from the second directory back to the hoark source you are working with and overwrite and you will have easily replaced everything we possibly can without adding a bunch of things we dont want in there

just keep in mind this one important fact, THIS WILL NOT WORK ON FOLDERS, only use this on files do not select any folders when copying or deleting, when you invert, you will have to hold ctrl and unselect all the folders in that directory, as well as if you just ctrl a to select all, if you copy folders it screws up the process and gives us extra junk that will bloat the rom
you still gotta open each folder in prebuilts and what not but this is alot easier than having to go through each file manually on top of that

Upvote 0
OH YEA!!! now i remember where i found all the hardware differences for comparison
https://github.com/hroark13/n861_two_n860
the n860.cfg is for the warp 1
and the n861.cfg is for the warp 2
check everything against those, if you spot something(like the screen type) that is different and mentioned anywhere in the hoark source files change it to what the n861 has listed

for example

CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_WVGA_PANEL_ARTHUR=y
is for the warp 1

CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_QHD_WARP2=y
is the warp2

so if it says anything about that wvga lcd anywhere change it to match the qhd screen on ours

Upvote 0
ok well as it turns out he pretty much copied everything in the library directory, and the bin directory into the prebuilts, some of those things are named slightly differently as well it may say something like
filename on hoarks source
and
filename_new on our device
something to watch out for when copying everything over
havent had the opportunity to check out much more about it
and the framework directory that is on hoarks source talking about the joe stone ril files or whatever shouldnt be necessary since we are already coming from ics, could be wrong so someone correct me if i am but hopefully our framework directory can just be copied as is into prebuilts

and i know im blowing up the thread, my bad, i wanna make sure i share any and all info i find though, that way you know everything i know

and yes putting that many prebuilts kinda takes away from it being cyanogenmod, but if we get it working with all the prebuilts, then we can start weeding them all out making it as non stock at possible

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones