• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM10 progress Update Thread

Hoping for good news soon,as this looks to be the only place this device is getting any attention. Bought this phone because it was inexpensive and I could use the hotspot for my Nexus 7.

That being said,a true custom ROM and perhaps a kernel would make this device a whole lot better. Had the motion before this and the galaxy indulge before that. All were a nightmare as far as rooting and roms go. Still remembering "morningcall"

Upvote 0
Progress is being made every day. I think I am close to having a testable build. But, as I have never done this, I'm not sure. I wish I could say, but I don't really know when.

I am a sucker for investigating the why and not just the what. So that does add some time to my bug hunt, but, IMO, thats better for us in the long term. The more I actually understand about how this "stuff" works, the better equipped I will be to sort out running bugs. Y'all agree? I knew you would. LOL

All I can say is that we're close.

Stay groovy y'all

Upvote 0
I know your busy and learning as you go but I was wondering if you could assist me. I am very new to all of this but have enough knowledge of linux and programming to actually get into something like this. Is there anyway you can tell me what tools you are using, how you got started and kind of a rough outline on how you started so far? There is so much out there that I dont know where to even start. I guess this question doesnt have to apply to just you but for anyone? What and where do I begin?

Thanks, and I appreciate all your efforts and time in helping the community!

Reactions: Ttwiztidx
Upvote 0
I know your busy and learning as you go but I was wondering if you could assist me. I am very new to all of this but have enough knowledge of linux and programming to actually get into something like this. Is there anyway you can tell me what tools you are using, how you got started and kind of a rough outline on how you started so far? There is so much out there that I dont know where to even start. I guess this question doesnt have to apply to just you but for anyone? What and where do I begin?

Thanks, and I appreciate all your efforts and time in helping the community!

As far as building android, the device tree comes first. Which means you have to find out everything you can about the device you wanna build for, Go thru all the readable files in your system directory, and do searches for things you don't understand. Once you are familiar with your device alot of things will become clearer to you. Especially if you did any amount of searching thru forums for your device info. cuz extra info is everywhere.

Try out the Android kitchen on xda forum. The install instructions for linux and cygwin are there. The kitchen has tools that allow you to split the boot.img and some others.

I really am just suggesting how you can get started cuz the rest is part of the fun of learning something new. At least for me it is. Hope I gave a satisfactory answer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones