• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM6/7 Update question

jimmy513

May 16, 2011
So Im sure this has been asked before and forgive me if Im sounding a bit redundant as Im sure its a frequently asked question.

I have had the Huawei Ascent since December.

Just recently heard about the new 2.3 Gingerbread version.

Figured I'd find out which one I was at, and how to upgrade.

I found these forums a week or so ago, and browsed them, but not really to an extent.

Now I have recently seen a lot of you talking about the cm6/cm7 (2.2/2.3) update.

Where can I download this from, and how?

I really want to get the newest version I can, that is fully functional (don't want the 2.3 one if it is super buggy)

Im sure this has been asked but I dont feel like searching these forums forever trying to find the one post that explains it.

So thanks for the help in advance, and Im glad to be a new member of these forums!!!!

P.S Im with Cricket.

I have one quick question about that.

Do I access those websites through the phone when its plugged into the computer?

Like just have that page open and follow the steps, but do it all on my phone?

And about the backup, is the MyBackup that comes with Cricket sufficient, or should I use a different one?

Sorry, dont want to spam that thread.

Upvote 0

Do I access those websites through the phone when its plugged into the computer?

And about the backup, is the MyBackup that comes with Cricket sufficient, or should I use a different one?

you can access on the computer, the files needed is going to be put on your sdcard, dont unzip them. but download this CWM 3.0.0.5.rar and extract it to your desktop, once extracted fastboot your phone by press and hold vol down, end key and tap power.

Reactions: jimmy513
Upvote 0
What is that link you gave me? The actual download? I'm complete noob to this lol
search the market for rom manager and install it. once its install open it up n press the 'flash clockwork recovery', that will download the needed file. Once that is done press 'flash clockwork recovery' again and it will install it.

Reactions: jimmy513
Upvote 0
I think I give up.

I dont F***ing understand

Im trying to get the damn CWM, posted a new thread with a problem about that.

Im just completely lost.

if anyone who has done this could help me it would be GREATLY appreciated because I really want to update my phone
If you really want an easy way to do it (OR are having trouble with doing it through the Rom Manager) and don't mind having an older Clockworkmod, Then I'd suggest following these directions taken from an Icarus thread. This CWM will work with Icarus, Cm6 AND Cm7:

http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/287987-how-install-icarus-1-1-isaacj87.html

How to install CWM Recovery: (from Joser116)

1) You will need a version of Clockwork Mod different from the one that comes with ROM Manager.If you have previously installed Clockwork Recovery using ROM Manager, go to ROM Manager, press Menu key, Clear Download Cache, then go to Settings(inside ROM Manager, not phone settings), and check the box that says Erase Recovery. Exit ROM Manager( REMINDER: This step is only if you have previously flashed Clockwork Recovery for the Ascend using ROM Manager. Disregard this step and go to the next step if you have not flashed Clockwork Recovery using ROM Manager

***To Be Safe, Format SD Card. You Can Copy Your SD Card Content To Your Computer If You Want Before The Format. Format will erase all SD Card data***

***FORMAT THE SD CARD:- Press Menu key while in the phone's homescreen and go into SD card & Phone Storage. Unmount SD Card, then Format SD Card***

2)Using a computer, Download this file: http://www.mediafire.com/?egzfp41ti4l84e4

3) Connect the phone to the computer via USB and make sure the drivers are installed. Turn the phone off and wait until the battery screen comes out after the Huawei logo then press and hold Volume DOWN, End Key, and Power Button You should see the Huawei logo. Leave the phone like that and move on to the computer.

4) Open the CWM Recovery folder that you downloaded. Find and Run the fastboot- file according to your OS. Extract all if necessary. One you run it, you should get a black window that disappears immediately. Phone may still be at the Huawei screen. Then Run the install-recovery- file according to your OS.(If there is any command prompt problems or the pc says waiting for device,go into control panel/sys/device manager and find android 1.0 right click and update driver.)

5)Once it is done, unplug USB cable and take out the battery for 10 seconds and try to get into recovery by turning phone off and pressing and holding Volume Up, Call key, and Power until the black Clockwork screen comes out. Keep those buttons pressed until the clockwork mod screen comes out..Check to see if Clockwork is at version 2.xxx.

STOP!!! Before proceeding, do a backup of your current ROM in case something bad happens. To do the backup:

6) Select backup and restore. Select Backup and do a backup. This is going to take about 5 minutes. After that, go all the way back and select reboot system now.

Then you can restart your phone, Put on the CM7/Gapps/and MetrOFF (If you are MetroPCS). Just make sure you check the sizes of these files and make sure they are correct. Some people have bad flashes because the files were incomplete. Also, Make sure that when you put the files on the SD card, To check them in CWM to make sure they are there before you do the full wipe. :] (To Check in CWM: Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard > Make sure the 3 files are visible. Then proceed with the wipe.)

I am still using this CWM from when I was on Icarus. It has worked with every ROM for me. I am on Cm7 now myself. :] If you need anything just ask.

***I don't know if you really need to format the SD card. I just would anyways.

Upvote 0

As far as the my backup with Cricket, you should back up your contacts to google, as my backup is not included with Cm6 or Cm7. or back them up to your Sd card and then place that file on your computer. if you hit menu while in your contacts list there should be some options, such as import or export to/from sd card

Upvote 0
As far as the my backup with Cricket, you should back up your contacts to google, as my backup is not included with Cm6 or Cm7. or back them up to your Sd card and then place that file on your computer. if you hit menu while in your contacts list there should be some options, such as import or export to/from sd card

gosms and gocontacts works awesome for that..

Upvote 0
I have them on my SD Card, which I cant access. I formatted it (was told it may be a problem by someone who said it helped them) but saved it to my desktop on my computer before hand.

Now I cant get it back onto my phone because it says the phone is write protected and to use another disk or turn off the write protection.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

I was able to add the CM files fine, it wasnt until I added them that that happened so I am not sure if I did something wrong when I added the CM files (idk how I could've) or if its just something with the CM that write protected the SD Card??

Upvote 0
I have them on my SD Card, which I cant access. I formatted it (was told it may be a problem by someone who said it helped them) but saved it to my desktop on my computer before hand.

Now I cant get it back onto my phone because it says the phone is write protected and to use another disk or turn off the write protection.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

I was able to add the CM files fine, it wasnt until I added them that that happened so I am not sure if I did something wrong when I added the CM files (idk how I could've) or if its just something with the CM that write protected the SD Card??

pull down the notification bar and enable usb, if that doestwork try uninstall the drivers and reinstall them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones