• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM6 Snap8.1... anyone?

Hazy

Aug 10, 2010
First let me say that this setup from Cyanogen if the fastest I have tried... incredibly fast, from the booting time to the snapiness of the of the whole UI.
I have only been rooted for 3 days, and from all the ROMs and kernels I've tried I stuck with baked snack and netharchy kernel for the longest lol.

Now trying cyanogen, I find it faster and handles overclocking better... and I realized I can live without Sense.
Just one thing... it consumes power like crazy, 35% in just over 2 hours with light use. I mean this is not good at all, probably even worse than the stock kenernel.

So is anyone else trying cyanogen and the new snap kernel? And are u guys having the same problem with the battery life?

Try Fresh 3.0.2 with netarchy kernel, fast, gets past the 30fps, and great battery life. I do not overclock as i have no use for it. But this is one great rom. Dont get me wrong, I love cm6 too, but i like the sense dialer, i hate having to scroll contacts to make a call. But since you are new, try a few roms before you make a final decision as to which you would keep.

Upvote 0
First let me say that this setup from Cyanogen if the fastest I have tried... incredibly fast, from the booting time to the snapiness of the of the whole UI.
I have only been rooted for 3 days, and from all the ROMs and kernels I've tried I stuck with baked snack and netharchy kernel for the longest lol.

Now trying cyanogen, I find it faster and handles overclocking better... and I realized I can live without Sense.
Just one thing... it consumes power like crazy, 35% in just over 2 hours with light use. I mean this is not good at all, probably even worse than the stock kenernel.

So is anyone else trying cyanogen and the new snap kernel? And are u guys having the same problem with the battery life?

Weird I'm getting 5hrs with heavy use,non stop when I'm at home. I just flashed 8.1nhavs825 since my phone likes to being UV. I did notice yesterday that my phone when down from 100%-82% in 8hrs with no use with 7.4 I wasn't having this problem so I will problably wipe my battey stats and give it another go. If I get the same result I'm gonna have to go back to 7.4, I was getting over 24hrs with moderate use.

Upvote 0
Try Fresh 3.0.2 with netarchy kernel, fast, gets past the 30fps, and great battery life. I do not overclock as i have no use for it. But this is one great rom. Dont get me wrong, I love cm6 too, but i like the sense dialer, i hate having to scroll contacts to make a call. But since you are new, try a few roms before you make a final decision as to which you would keep.

I guess I have no real use for overclocking either... and maybe it's a placebo effect but I think it does make the phone a little bit snappier.

I did try Fresh, and it was pretty good.... I guess I'm just trying all the "flavors". Baked snack seemed a little smoother to me, although I didnt compare the battery life...

So far I like cyanogen, just hope they improve the battery life

Upvote 0
Weird I'm getting 5hrs with heavy use,non stop when I'm at home. I just flashed 8.1nhavs825 since my phone likes to being UV. I did notice yesterday that my phone when down from 100%-82% in 8hrs with no use with 7.4 I wasn't having this problem so I will problably wipe my battey stats and give it another go. If I get the same result I'm gonna have to go back to 7.4, I was getting over 24hrs with moderate use.

I'm using nHavs 900... I think it should be more stable, and I didn't expect it to drain the battery since it is undervolted.
I guess I'll just keep looking around, and I'm sure snap will get better :cool:

Upvote 0
Try to wipe ur battery stats before you give up on it, did wipe as u r supposed to? Somethimes reflashing Kernel helps to.

Yea I wiped the caches... and I'm not planning to switch just yet, although I was about to just flash back ok my nandeoid img of backed snacks. Because I tried reflashing the kernel and the phone just wouldn't boot.

I'm gonna try wiping the battery stats as u suggested, and if my phone goes a full day without dieing, I might keep CM. For a while anyway

Upvote 0
I just installed CM6 and Snap 8.1.

I haven't really noticed a huge difference in battery life, and I'm willing to sacrifice some just get have no Sense.

I just came off a Full Charge (well close to full, it dropped to 96 after a few minutes).

I'll post back with battery life updates.

Upvote 0
I just installed CM6 and Snap 8.1.

I haven't really noticed a huge difference in battery life, and I'm willing to sacrifice some just get have no Sense.

I just came off a Full Charge (well close to full, it dropped to 96 after a few minutes).

I'll post back with battery life updates.

I'm willing to sacrifice some too, for performance... this kernel is fast and I noticed I have 100mb more of free RAM
as long as it gets me through the day, I might stick with it

Upvote 0
825 here.

825 is an aggressive undervolt if you intend to overclock. I personally prefer Snap 7.1. It is super quick and doesn't get all hinky with the voltages. You do have to wipe and partition your sd card to use 7.1; however you'll get quadrant scores of 2200 and super fast rig so ur call. Snap has full explanation of how to set up 7.1 at hs xda post. If you do it follow every word if the instructions carefully.

If you are worried about battery life just get a 3000 mah off ebay for $12.

Upvote 0
825 is an aggressive undervolt if you intend to overclock. I personally prefer Snap 7.1. It is super quick and doesn't get all hinky with the voltages. You do have to wipe and partition your sd card to use 7.1; however you'll get quadrant scores of 2200 and super fast rig so ur call. Snap has full explanation of how to set up 7.1 at hs xda post. If you do it follow every word if the instructions carefully.

So Snap 7.1 is actually faster than 8.1? Or at least it scores higher.... because I've only been able to get quadrant scores up to 1750 with 8.1. I'm using the 900havs

Upvote 0
So Snap 7.1 is actually faster than 8.1? Or at least it scores higher.... because I've only been able to get quadrant scores up to 1750 with 8.1. I'm using the 900havs

Well benchmarks can be deceiving. 7.1 does so well on quadrant because of the partitioning of your sd card and how it handles read/writes. But of course that also translates to real.world improvements. I think 7.1 is faster than 8.1. The latter is more about juice management than a speed improvement IMHO. YMMV.

If you are looking for raw speed and not as worried about battery life I would go 7.1. Your call.

Upvote 0
Well benchmarks can be deceiving. 7.1 does so well on quadrant because of the partitioning of your sd card and how it handles read/writes. But of course that also translates to real.world improvements. I think 7.1 is faster than 8.1. The latter is more about juice management than a speed improvement IMHO. YMMV.

If you are looking for raw speed and not as worried about battery life I would go 7.1. Your call.

I see, I was just reading about it over at xda... well 8.1 is not that great with battery life anyway. So if 7.1 is built for pure speed, I'm guessing it's gonna drain my battey pretty quick. I might just give it a try, cuz I do like speed lol

Upvote 0
I see, I was just reading about it over at xda... well 8.1 is not that great with battery life anyway. So if 7.1 is built for pure speed, I'm guessing it's gonna drain my battey pretty quick. I might just give it a try, cuz I do like speed lol

Cool.

Couple things. You are gonna have to wipe your SD card and partition it to make 7.1 work. Make SURE you fully back your SD up to your PC before doing this.

Also, read Snap's directions at xda on how to do this and follow it TO THE LETTER. If you don't you could get caught in a boot loop which is never fun.

Last point. For me to get 7.1 to work the first time, I had to do a factory/cache wipe - if I didn't I got boot-looped. So basically, between the SD card wipe and the factory wipe, this is a completely clean install so BACK UP.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

What can I say my EVO loves being UV and have no problem at all Overcloking. The fact that ur getting massive quadrant scores does not mean that the phone is performing better in the world.

And by far 7.4 is the best snap Kernel hands down.

Edit:snap8.2 is out now with BFS and 800mv as floor for those who like being UV.

Upvote 0
Holy crap.

I've been using CM6 with Snap 8.1 since this morning off a full charge and all I can say is: Thank God I did a nandroid backup before installing snap. (Unless there is another way to uninstall it?)

My battery was thoroughly raped.

I went from 85% to 70% in about 10 minutes, just from playing Shoot-U. It's not even a graphically intense game, I had never seen a drop like that on Sense.

I had my battery lasting forever on Sense, and I noticed it isn't quite as good on CM6, but with Snap my battery is dead within 3-4 hours of light usages (compared to my previous usage on Sense)

I am going to stick with the stock CM6 kernel for a couple of days to get a solid benchmark on battery life, then maybe I'll go back to snap.

Upvote 0
Holy crap.

I've been using CM6 with Snap 8.1 since this morning off a full charge and all I can say is: Thank God I did a nandroid backup before installing snap. (Unless there is another way to uninstall it?)

My battery was thoroughly raped.

I went from 85% to 70% in about 10 minutes, just from playing Shoot-U. It's not even a graphically intense game, I had never seen a drop like that on Sense.

I had my battery lasting forever on Sense, and I noticed it isn't quite as good on CM6, but with Snap my battery is dead within 3-4 hours of light usages (compared to my previous usage on Sense)

I am going to stick with the stock CM6 kernel for a couple of days to get a solid benchmark on battery life, then maybe I'll go back to snap.
Dude u just flashed the Kernel yesterday,wipe ur battery stats and calibrate ur battery. Are u OC.

Upvote 0
How do u calibrate the battery?... and if you're OCd run some tests, I found out that there wasn't a significant improvement after 1.15 MHz...

I don't know the correct name for it, but to calibrate I just charge the battery to full, turn it off, charge it to full, take out the power cable, plug it back in until it says full, etc. I do that 10 times.

I'm not overclocked (I don't think). I just installed the standard Snap 8.1 850.

Upvote 0
What can I say my EVO loves being UV and have no problem at all Overcloking. The fact that ur getting massive quadrant scores does not mean that the phone is performing better in the world.

And by far 7.4 is the best snap Kernel hands down.

Edit:snap8.2 is out now with BFS and 800mv as floor for those who like being UV.

Actually, my phone feels MUCH faster under 7.1 than it did under 7.4 or 8.1. Those fast quadrant scores are due to improved read/writes from the partitioning. It follows that improved read/writes will also improve real-world performance. In my case the improvement is quite obvious.

From what I have read, 8.1 isn't designed to be faster than 7.1, just more heavily leaned towards the UV thing. I could personally care less about UV'ing my EVO. I'll just buy a bigger battery.

Upvote 0
I don't know the correct name for it, but to calibrate I just charge the battery to full, turn it off, charge it to full, take out the power cable, plug it back in until it says full, etc. I do that 10 times.

I'm not overclocked (I don't think). I just installed the standard Snap 8.1 850.

Good lord man ;-) Just get a 3000 battery on eBay for $12.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones