• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CM7 Easy Installation]

Ok, first shot at going gingerbread seemed to be going smoothly until it came to "choose zip from SD card" time
We get there and DOH!
Files ain't there.
Needless to say I was crashed at the white start up screen.
Went back in and restored everything. (Thank you CW and everyone who SCREAMED the importance of backing up everything first)
So here I am, licking my wounds, hanging my noobish head in shame and asking where I went wrong.

Apperently I dont have the files in the sd card root. They must still be in a d/l folder.

Also of note (maybe) when CW was backing up the system it errored something about the volume control. It was the only error and volume still works so I dont know if it was just a hiccup or what.

So I have the later steps down, I need someone to walk me through the early stages.

I d/l these:

GingerBreak- v1.20.apk
PlayfulGod's CM builds (Gingerbread):
CM7- Ascend - Prepaid Android
BobZ's CM7 builds (Gingerbread):
CM7- Ascend-BobZ - Prepaid Android

The exact next few steps to get them where I need them to be?

(Feel free to roll your eyes and sigh)

Upvote 0
Ok, first shot at going gingerbread seemed to be going smoothly until it came to "choose zip from SD card" time
We get there and DOH!
Files ain't there.
Needless to say I was crashed at the white start up screen.
Went back in and restored everything. (Thank you CW and everyone who SCREAMED the importance of backing up everything first)
So here I am, licking my wounds, hanging my noobish head in shame and asking where I went wrong.

Apperently I dont have the files in the sd card root. They must still be in a d/l folder.

Also of note (maybe) when CW was backing up the system it errored something about the volume control. It was the only error and volume still works so I dont know if it was just a hiccup or what.

So I have the later steps down, I need someone to walk me through the early stages.

I d/l these:

GingerBreak- v1.20.apk
PlayfulGod's CM builds (Gingerbread):
CM7- Ascend - Prepaid Android
BobZ's CM7 builds (Gingerbread):
CM7- Ascend-BobZ - Prepaid Android

The exact next few steps to get them where I need them to be?

(Feel free to roll your eyes and sigh)
in CWM there should say mount and storage's, mount your usb, (connected to your pc) and place them there

Reactions: DXGypsy
Upvote 0
Why did you download so many builds? :D

You only need one of those and you are missing the gapps. (Found in the same place you downloaded those from) And you dont need gingerbreak anymore. Once you have the recovery you dont need it anymore.

So now you need to move the zip files that are in probably the download or downloads file to the root of your sd. Which the root meaning not in a folder. Just right there on the sd card like where the download folder is.

Once you do that and reboot into recovery when you go to choose zip from sd youll see them. CWR cant dig thru folders. It only sees the root of your sd.

Upvote 0
Hey Shiny,

Lol It was actually your instructions I followed.

androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/411738-lost-noob.html

I must have misunderstood when you told him to d/l "the 3 files". I actually did the 3 files you had listed. :p

As for the moving the files, I'm playing with it now.
Please clarify the Gapps file part. I saw the reference in the thread but nothing in the links.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I flashed the newest rom of CM7 and it got past the ascend screen but now it's stuck and the back light is on but nothing's on the screen.

I had the Metro 2.2 update installed, flashed back to stock 2.1, formatted the SD card, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, Wipe dalvik cache, formatted: boot,data,system, and cache and it's still locking up any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I flashed the newest rom of CM7 and it got past the ascend screen but now it's stuck and the back light is on but nothing's on the screen.

I had the Metro 2.2 update installed, flashed back to stock 2.1, formatted the SD card, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, Wipe dalvik cache, formatted: boot,data,system, and cache and it's still locking up any ideas?

Which build? 0912 or 0913? The 0912 has the 748 kernel which alot of phones can't run. The 0913 has the 710 kernel which alot more phones can run.
But Reflash and make sure you wipe everything and format everything except for the SD card.

Upvote 0
Well Take 2 was a Fail as well but less epic.

I got past the white Hauwua screen and had the new screen with the blue glowing droid and ASCEND under him.

But I crashed there.

I know it supposed to take awhile to boot but I left it for 40 minutes and it never came out of it.

During the format stage I again got this:

E: format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mcblk0p2

Error formatting /sd-ext!

Was that what killed me?

So close I can taste it.

Upvote 0
Your card isnt partitioned so you dont have an ext.

Try again. The new build with the 748 kernel I just flash took 2 flashes to boot.

And also you may have a "Lazy" Ascend that cant run the 710 kernel. If it continues to happen download the 672 "Lazy Ascend Kernel" of the wiki page below where you downloaded the rom from. When yo flash it, do everything like normal, and flash the rom then the gapps and then flash the kernel last. and go to advanced and select "fix permissions" and then reboot.

Upvote 0
OK ladies and gentlemen...I'm an HTC T-Bolt owner and my friend asked me today to root his phone. He has the Huawei Ascend. Decent little phone for what it is. So I followed the rooting instructions and got him rooted but stock with no problem at all. I put a few root apps on his phone such as TI/BU and away he goes. One problem, he wants a rom that is as close to what I have on my T-bolt as it can be. I'm running the Synergy Rom while I love it, I'm seeing on here by reading different threads that the Huawei doesn't run on the same stuff. Am I right or am I wrong on that? I haven't gone thru a whole lot of the threads on here about different roms but if someone could point me in the direction of one with like a list of all the good stable ones and so forth so that I can find one that he would like to play around with. He is totally new at this and is having me do it. In fact since his laptop went out he is wanting me to call or text him how to go about getting the rom and all the steps in flashing it. I know that's not smart so I'll figure another way to get it done in case we run into an issue. So I'll go ahead and send out a big thanks on this ahead of time as this is a new adventure me and him.

I must say though that just rooting his phone today, it was immediately faster.

Upvote 0
CM7-Ascend - Prepaid Android

First off Ascends are bi-polar. So when looking at the builds on that page no he may not be able to run or boot some. Try the 0912 it may be too much for his phone and it wont even boot. It has a 748mhz kernel in it alot of phones cant run that kernel. If not try the 0913 build. It has a 710mhz kernel in it.

If he cant run either, then there is a 672mhz kernel on that page. Flash it after you flash the rom and gapps.

The 0912 and 0913 builds are stable and have actually been around since 728 their just updated with some tweaks here and there. Those 2 roms are both Gingerbread 2.3.5. Oh and they are CyanogenMod roms that were ported to the Ascend by Issacj87 and maintained by Playfulgod

Upvote 0
Is the backups and restores taking up all the space on my sd card? I am filling up fast.
I have a feeling I only needed the first one. Can I delete the second backup I did?
Is the restores copying over what used to be there or is it doubling everything?

I'm of to try one more time before work.

Its doubling. All you need is one for now, so you have something to fall back on, like now, if something goes wrong. You can delete others you have made by opening your file maager and going into the clockwork folder on your sd.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well that was the most epicky of epic fails.
The lazy kernel put me into an endless reboot cycle.
White huawei screen, then off, then white screen over and over.

I will get this sumbitch if it kills me.

Next plan of attack?

ROM backups are huge. Like 700+ mb. On a 2 gb card, I couldn't even do a single backup when I had all my stuff on it. Delete excess backups and keep the one that you know works.

If you're wanting CM7, use the new one that PG just put out, CM7 0912, or the smaller and simpler one from BobZ, CM7 0708, along with the 0613 gapps, and make sure to move them to your sdcard root directory as is, unzipped. If you're on Cricket that's all you'll need. I just flashed PG's, and it took off the first try. You won't have to mess with any kernals or anything. They both should run just fine on lazy Ascends. BobZ's accommodates lazier phones, but you shouldn't have a problem either one.
After that, boot into CWM, go to advanced, partition sdcard card, select 512 with a 32 swap (unless it's really small sdcard and you need the space, then go with 256 or 128.)
Back button to the main menu, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition.
In advanced, wipe dalvik cache, hit the back button.
In mounts and storage, format /boot, /cache, /data, /system, and /sd-ext. DON'T FORMAT /SDCARD. Hit the back button.
Install zip from sdcard, choose zip from sdcard, select the CM7 file first, then when it's done select the gapps file. When it's done, hit the back button.
In advanced, fix permissions, back button.
Reboot system now.

You've probably heard all this over and over by now, but I'm throwing it out there again so you can double check your steps.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm wondering if partitioning your sdcard will cause you to lose data, thereby losing your zips, or even your backup. Can't remember, gonna look...
EDIT2: I tried it out, partitioning the sdcard WILL delete data from the card. If I didn't have a computer and thus no way to move files on and off the card, I would use BobZ's build, at least until I had a way to move data on and off the card with a card reader.

Reactions: intrdrgn
Upvote 0
Thats the first boot loop on the 672 Ive ever heard of! Ahaha

You could quite possible have a super Lazy Ascend. As of now I got nothing except try some other builds. Maybe your phone just dont like the new build.

Try one of BobZ's builds. Their CM7.1 Android version 2.3.4
CM7-Ascend-BobZ - Prepaid Android

Theres also the option of trying CM6
CM6-Ascend - Prepaid Android

When I first starting flashing the Ascend, I got boot loops all the time. Anytime I flashed anything that OC'd higher than 710 put me in boot loops and hangups. I could actually bust out of some of them and get it to work, but doing that at each startup got old, though easier as the build settled in. And I boot looped on the lazy builds a couple times. I must have gotten it broken in because things run pretty smooth for me these days, though I do super clean flashes. I even reformat my sdcard on a totally new build. My phone is VERY particular.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones