• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7 HDMI out question

xbrokdikdogx

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Might be a silly question since I'd imagine that one of the devs would have thought of this but here goes.... Cherry Mobile Magnum HD, another version of the Huawei/Foxconn/Motorola Triumph has a gingerbread update out, located here: Magnum HD | Cherry Mobile Have any of the devs taken a look at the update to see if they could pull the HDMI out driver or whatever it is that doesn't work on the Triumph with gingerbread? Considering how there are like 11 versions of this phone out there and from what I read most of the other models can just install the update from Cherry I just wanted to make sure nobody had thought of it yet. I know the phones differ in radios but that wouldn't affect the HDMI out port would it? Also, is it just a driver issue that keeps us from having HDMI out on CM7 or is it some other issue? Thanks.

When did the update come out? TickerGuy stopped working on the MT on nov. 21, so if it's after that date he likely didn't look at it, but if it was before that, he probably did. There is evidence the Cherry bin files were used at one point to get CM7 working on the MT.

I believe it's mostly driver issues, but the CM7 source code doesn't have any place for HDMI settings, even an on/off switch, so that would have to be put in first too. (CM9 will have this support).

Upvote 0
I think it has been out awhile. Not sure though. I just got bored and decided to look around and see if any of the variants of this phone had Gingerbread and I found that. I hadn't even checked to see if Cherry released the source code yet because I just wanted to see if anyone knew if it had been looked at yet. Wouldn't the whole on/off thing be as simple as turning the service on and off? That could probably be accomplished with a simple widget to the right dev. I figured the hard part would be to just get a working driver for gingerbread.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I didn't post that so someone could try updating. Does the Triumph even support updating with the nb0 files? I only posted a link to that site because their gingerbread update is there for a dev to pull the driver from it. Speaking of which, does anyone know what the name of the driver is for the HDMI out? I also found another gingerbread update located here:
http://www.wellcommobile.com/A99_ROM_2_3.rar

Once again, this is for a GSM phone so do not install this on your triumph. LOL.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I didn't post that so someone could try updating. Does the Triumph even support updating with the nb0 files? I only posted a link to that site because their gingerbread update is there for a dev to pull the driver from it. Speaking of which, does anyone know what the name of the driver is for the HDMI out? I also found another gingerbread update located here:

Once again, this is for a GSM phone so do not install this on your triumph. LOL.

I don't know what file the triumph uses natively but there is an update button, but you would be able to update with a .nb0 from qpst... Also thats what they said about Andro-id too don't install since its gsm... But the thing is the only thing that doesn't work is data. But I still wouldn't want to risk it...

Upvote 0

I'm guessing it's the /system/bin/hdmid file

It may be interesting to rip some of the proprietary binary files from these other phones and see if they work better on the MT. Here's a list of proprietary blobs that are from the stock Froyo ROM on MT, used for building CyanogenMod ROMs:

Code:
bluetoothd
btwlancoex
cnd
geomagneticd
gralloc.msm7k.so
hciattach
hci_qcomm_init
hdmid
liba2dp.so
libaudioalsa.so
libaudioeq.so
libaudio.so
libauth.so
libcamera.so
libcm.so
libcommondefs.so
libdiag.so
libdll.so
libdsi_netctrl.so
libdsm.so
libdss.so
libdsutils.so
libEGL_adreno200.so
libgemini.so
libGLESv1_CM_adreno200.so
libGLESv2_adreno200.so
libgsdi_exp.so
libgsl.so
libgstk_exp.so
libidl.so
libmm-adspsvc.so
libmmgsdilib.so
libmmipl.so
libmmjpeg.so
libnetmgr.so
libnv.so
liboemcamera.so
liboem_rapi.so
libomx_aacdec_sharedlibrary.so
libOmxAacDec.so
libOmxAacEnc.so
libOmxAdpcmDec.so
libomx_amrdec_sharedlibrary.so
libOmxAmrDec.so
libomx_amrenc_sharedlibrary.so
libOmxAmrEnc.so
libOmxAmrRtpDec.so
libOmxAmrwbDec.so
libomx_avcdec_sharedlibrary.so
libOmxCore.so
libOmxEvrcDec.so
libOmxEvrcEnc.so
libomx_m4vdec_sharedlibrary.so
libomx_mp3dec_sharedlibrary.so
libOmxMp3Dec.so
libOmxQcelp13Dec.so
libOmxQcelp13Enc.so
libomx_sharedlibrary.so
libOmxWmaDec.so
liboncrpc.so
libpbmlib.so
libpdapi.so
libpdsm_atl.so
libq3dtools_adreno200.so
libqdp.so
libqmiservices.so
libqmi.so
libqueue.so
libreference-ril.so
libril-qc-1.so
libril-qc-qmi-1.so
libril-qcril-hook-oem.so
libril.so
libuim.so
libwms.so
libwmsts.so
lightd
mm-abl-test
mm-adec-omxaac-test
mm-adec-omxadpcm-test
mm-adec-omxamr-test
mm-adec-omxamrwb-test
mm-adec-omxevrc-test
mm-adec-omxmp3-test
mm-adec-omxQcelp13-test
mm-adec-omxwma-test
mm-adspsvc-test
mm-aenc-omxaac-test
mm-aenc-omxamr-test
mm-aenc-omxevrc-test
mm-aenc-omxqcelp13-test
mm-audio-alsa-test
mm-audio-ctrl-test
mm-audio-mvs-test-ext
mm-audio-mvs-test-int
mm-audio-native-test
mm-audio-voem_if-test
mm-jpeg-dec-test
mm-jpeg-enc-test
mm-omx-devmgr
mm-qcamera-test
mm-qcamera-testsuite-client
mm-vdec-omx-test
mm-venc-omx-test
mm-venc-omx-test720p
mm-video-driver-test
mm-video-encdrv-test
netmgrd
orientationd
port-bridge
proximityd
qmuxd
rild
rmt_storage
sensors.qcom.so
thermald
wpdiagd

Upvote 0
Ugh, well that sucks. If I have time this weekend I might try to setup a VM for dev. So far from what I see the problem is that the cable detection isn't kicking in. Right now I have 2 Triumphs, one on Stock and my replacement that is running CM7. The stock one is in reboot hell though. Last night I got it to boot up and using logcat to filter the hdmi request it appeared that libsystem_server.so was responsible for detecting the cable and enabling the hdmi service. I could be wrong though since as soon as I saw libsystem_server.so mentioned the phone rebooted and I haven't been able to get it back running yet to try again.

On my tablet libhdmi.so would enable libhdmiservice.so and everything automagically kicks in. Unfortunately the Triumph has a different approach. I might try later on flashing back to stock and getting the logcat for hdmi when plugging the cable in just to make sure libsystem_server.so is the file that actually detects the cable and starts the service. I was hoping you had a dev station set up and the source code so you could compare the source for that library from stock 2.2, cherry 2.3 and our CM7 2.3. I have a feeling this isn't too deep a problem since there are at least 2 or 3 other versions of this phone with 2.3. We just need to find where the hdmi cable is detected.

Upvote 0
Ugh, well that sucks. If I have time this weekend I might try to setup a VM for dev. So far from what I see the problem is that the cable detection isn't kicking in. Right now I have 2 Triumphs, one on Stock and my replacement that is running CM7. The stock one is in reboot hell though. Last night I got it to boot up and using logcat to filter the hdmi request it appeared that libsystem_server.so was responsible for detecting the cable and enabling the hdmi service. I could be wrong though since as soon as I saw libsystem_server.so mentioned the phone rebooted and I haven't been able to get it back running yet to try again.

On my tablet libhdmi.so would enable libhdmiservice.so and everything automagically kicks in. Unfortunately the Triumph has a different approach. I might try later on flashing back to stock and getting the logcat for hdmi when plugging the cable in just to make sure libsystem_server.so is the file that actually detects the cable and starts the service. I was hoping you had a dev station set up and the source code so you could compare the source for that library from stock 2.2, cherry 2.3 and our CM7 2.3. I have a feeling this isn't too deep a problem since there are at least 2 or 3 other versions of this phone with 2.3. We just need to find where the hdmi cable is detected.

I was joking, I have it setup in VMware Ubuntu 11.10 on windows 7 64bit host. I'll have a look at that next time, thanks for the tips. Actually to browse source code just go to Isaac's github repo

Upvote 0
I was joking, I have it setup in VMware Ubuntu 11.10 on windows 7 64bit host. I'll have a look at that next time, thanks for the tips. Actually to browse source code just go to Isaac's github repo

Yeah, I checked out Isaac's and Tickerguy's but I didn't have a lot of time to look into it last night. In an act of stupidity or perhaps just it being 2 AM and a case of curiosity I swapped the library from one of the other gingerbread builds with mine and had to reflash my phone since it wouldn't boot. lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones