1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root CM7 is making me very angry..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darkworld260, Apr 7, 2011.

1. darkworld260

darkworld260 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    ok i installed cm7 the newest nighly i think it was 36. And i get everything set up how i wanted and so i could do a backup to revert to if i ever need to. So i created a backup in RA recovery and flashed a kernel the kernel gave me screen tearing so i thought well time to restore that backup i made so i did just that... but every time i try to restore a backup once my phone is done i hit reboot in the recovery menu and my phone just sits a the splash screen any idea on how to make a successful cm7 backup? I had other backups that i restored to but i really wanna use cm7 so please help!

Advertisement

2. kilogramz718

kilogramz718 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    Party City Employee
    Brooklyn
    idk exactly how to fix your problem since i never used RA recovery i use Clockwork but if i may ask why are u using nightlies wen da Release Candidates are out?

3. darkworld260

None

Jan 21, 2011
    to be honest i never under stood the difference between nighly's and released candidates would i want to get a nightly if its more updated then the released candidate?

4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    No idea about your problem, but i think that the RCs are more stable, while the nightly releases will have bug fixes (but those fixes may cause more problems ... ie less stable)

5. darkworld260

None

Jan 21, 2011
    alright i will try a RC time to reset up everything again........ i will post if it is fixed after i try the RC 4

6. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Try wiping everything and then restoring your nandroid backup

darkworld260 likes this.
  7. darkworld260

None

Jan 21, 2011
    MizzouBrent your a genius that worked like a charm thank you so much!!

8. mbancroft

mbancroft Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    yo
    yo
    asop roms just do not get along with my phone... I fix one problem and then I notice another. Even though I like playing and tweaking my phone..... there is a point where enough is enough......."cm7 is pissing me off"..... I just flashed my first asop rom and granted it was GB.. but the most normal things did not work and require some ninga tech skills to fix it.......back to kings r3.. might flash miki... I have never tried it

9. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    CM7 (and most AOSP roms for that matter) do have some proclivities towards needing manual processes to get things to work such as gapps(the market on AOSP roms) it appears as tho miui has gapps built in already, so i guess if youre lookin for AOSP but the least amount of b.s. to get it runnin, miui might be your ticket. it has the feel of a ::gasp:: i-device but that can be changed by using your own icons, theme-ing etc etc... if youre at all interested in getting an aosp rom, dont give up yet. I ran into a few issues when i switched to CM7, but have since got everything working, and finally have a decent battery life. Matter of fact, theres been several nightlies out since i installed this thing, but i dont wanna screw up a good thing lol
    dont be scurred about flashing an aosp rom, theyre pretty sweet once you get past the inital headache of gettin it up n runnin properly

10. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    I've been quite impressed with CM7. I downloaded the most recent RC and everything works. I did have to do the GPS fix, but I'm used to that, having needed it for MIUI as well.

Ok, for you non-software developers:

nightly builds incorporate any work done during that day and got checked in to the main code line. Typically the developer will run a local build on his/her local machine to make sure their code doesn't cause the build to fail. But just because a dev doesn't break the build doesn't mean they didn't introduce bugs with their code. Therefore, bugs can appear and go away with any nightly build.

A "RC" is a "release candidate." This particular build has undergone some degree of QA (quality assurance [testing]). Bugs were caught and fixed. Major functionality is working. Could be minor bugs that still need to be addressed before it is "production ready."

"Production ready" builds are called all sorts of things. Commonly, you see it as a "stable" build. It can also be referred to as "GA (general acceptance)" or "Production" build. These typically undergo standard QA where bugs are found and fixed, and then the build has undergone "UAT (user-acceptance testing)." This is commonly a "beta" release where a subset of non-developers test the version and report any bugs they find. These bugs are then addressed. New functionality is not added. Expect little to no bugs for stable releases.

11. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    There you are novox, i asked a question in thread MIUI completely shocked...can you check it out? You seem MIUI inclined a little.

Tags: