1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

CM7 Killing battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Flyguy94, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Flyguy94

Flyguy94 Well-Known Member

Flashed CM7 2.6.35.14 and only getting 5 hours out of my battery. I've tried looking for rouge apps but haven't been able to find any. On stock Rom I was getting 12-13 hours. I've checked my sync's and love this Rom but gonna have to go to something else if I can't figure it out. Any suggestion? The battery also seems to charge really fast as well, don't know if that helps.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

It could be the kernel. Try flashing IMO's 3.5.12 lean kernel that was recently released it is nicer to the battery.

3. nateap87

nateap87 Android Enthusiast

post link? :eek:

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

linkage

Download link is in the OP I use the "lean" as I don't feel the need to use the 184 slot

5. nateap87

and it's still pretty quick and makes your battery last longer?

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Yeah, IMO's kernels are the best IMO....yeah I know that statement looks dumb :rolleyes:

trapperjohn likes this.
  7. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert

Perhaps, but it's the truth.

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I could have used IMHO or spelled out IMO's name but I didn't.

9. nateap87

just flashed it then followed the terminal instructions. put it on normal/interactive x. let's hope this helps my battery :)

10. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

It should. I ususally use either normal or extreme never the 1.92 settings and I always use interactive for the governer. You will probably do fine if you use extreme and that should help with battery as well.

11. Flyguy94

I've never flashed a kernel. Is it just like flashing a Rom? Do I need to reflash the gaaps as well? Sorry for the questions still learning.

12. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

You will flash it like a rom but dont wipe system first. Wipe cache/dalvik cache flash the kernel zip. Reboot. Let the phone fully power up before messing with it (i.e. let the kernel settle). Enjoy!

Flyguy94 likes this.
  13. Flyguy94

Yeahha, I can't thank you enough you and Scottie have been right there to answer my questions...I really appreciate it

14. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Glad I could help you!

15. Flyguy94

Got it done we will see how this works :D

16. nateap87

2 things: i didn't wipe the dalvik cache and i also was wondering if you leave yours overclocked. something about over clocking it to 1.4 is a bit worrying for both my phones well being and my battery life. can i get by just setting it to 1024 mhz?

17. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I would suggest wiping dalvik cache and cache then reflashing the kernel.

I use speedtweak.sh and use option 2 usually, if you don't want to overclock you can use option 5 (I think) for battery, it doesn't overclock but undervolts. IIRC stock the kernel when running at 1.4 uses the same voltage as the stock HTC kernel uses at 1.0. There is nothing wrong with not overclocking, scotty doesn't overclock either, I believe the bolt is very stable running at 1.4. FWIW I had my OG droid running fine at 1.1 and stock it was 550 (600 after an update I didn't wait for)

trapperjohn likes this.
  18. nateap87

doing both as we speak. from recovery i just wiped the cache partition so hopefully that's what you were referring to. also cleared the dalvik and reflashed :)

edit: i did the normal, but put it at 1024mhz from setcpu. now, i know i picked the interactivex scaling which is supposed to underclock it while the screen is off so does me having profiles in setcpu interfere with that or should i just disable?

19. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Yeah, before any flash I recommend wiping cache and dalvik cache. If you were only going to wipe 1 I would suggest dalvik before cache.

20. nateap87

i did the normal, but put it at 1024mhz from setcpu. now, i know i picked the interactivex scaling which is supposed to underclock it while the screen is off so does me having profiles in setcpu interfere with that or should i just disable?

21. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I think setCPU profiles will not cause issues but are likely not needed unless you notice in battery useage that you have been out of the lowest slot when your screen is off. I still think you should use the speedtweak.sh script in terminal and use 5 (battsaver mode), 8 (interactive governer), 14 (exit script)

22. Flyguy94

Ugh even with the new kernel I'm down to 30% after 3 hours. I have to have a bad app somewhere killing my battery. Under usage I'm at 46% on android system. Does that seem kinda high?

23. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I'm thinking about going back to a different kernel myself I'm down much more than normal

24. Flyguy94

Let me know which kernel you go with?

25. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I think I'll be going back to IMO's lean 3.5.8 it seems to be nicer to my battery. I'm down to 25% when I'm usually at 50% around now

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews