• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7 or MIUI or something else?? First custom ROM

melcher70

Apr 7, 2011
I know this is a very subjective question, but..

I recently rooted my phone (to fix the low space problem) and want to flash my first custom ROM. CM7 and MIUI seem to be the most popular ROMs, and I'm leaning toward one of those. I'm looking for something that's stable, something that increases performance and battery life, and I'd love to find one that keeps my 720p camcorder intact (with small children, my phone is my go-to childhood recording device). Also, I'm not a tech guy but I've read a lot and I'm comfortable following instructions, I was able to root without an issue, but an easy install for my first ROM would also be key.
Any ideas? Anything you've used that you love? Or hate? From what I've read it seems that the AOSP ROMs have great performance and battery life, how are the Sense ROMs?
Again, I know it's a subjective question, but thanks for your input.

Cm7 and MIUI are both great choices.... I've run both. It really just comes down to a matter of user interface. MIUI's launcher is very much like the iPhone, and cm7 is closer to what you are currently using(minus the "sense" features).

MIUI has the predictive(T9) dialer built in(searches your contacts as you type in a number/name), cm7 you have to use a 3rd party app. Also if you use/like the sense based widgets, you will have to find 3rd party replacements, which there are plenty of.

The sense based ROMs are also very good but you lose a little in performance and battery life when compared to cm7 and MIUI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones