1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root CM7 Phone Idle and Cell Standby very high.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flipteg, Aug 3, 2011.

1. flipteg

flipteg Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    i have been rooted since i got the Thunderbolt but i stuck with the first rooted Froyo with Sense that came out for the Thunderbolt back in March. with that "stock" ROM, for my regular usage, with about 2 hours screen time, the phone have no problem getting to 16-18 hours to get down to 25% remaining on the battery. with that usage, screen time is usually the highest by far at around 60-70%. Phone Idle and Cell Standby are usually at 5%.

i installed CM7 mainly because i started getting those Verizon update pop ups, but as soon as i did, Phone Idle and Cell Standby are taking around 45% each of battery usage. an hour of screen time is only showing to take 5% battery time. at around 7 hours, with CM7, i'm already at 50% remaining when i used to have around 75% with the "stock" ROM.

i've already tried the latest Tiamat 1.0.4 kernel. i'm about to try an undervolted kernel. i don't really want to do that if i can help it but i'm wondering if there is any reason why CM7 is using so much battery for these 2 processes?

Advertisement

2. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    you are either using an old version of cm7,or you have something else draining your battery.

the high cell standby times are not affecting battery life,i have the same thing(using the most recent rc 1.4 release) and get 8-10 hours of extremely heavy(lots of data,2-3 hours of bluetooth voice calls,gps on) and have gotten as much as 20 with more moderate use.

edit: not saying they are ok,but its an issue thats affecting all AOSP roms currently. its not affecting your battery and will eventually get worked out :)

3. flipteg

flipteg Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    hi, i'm using CM7 1.4. when i installed the ROM, i backed up all my apps and their data to the SD using Titanium Backup. there is now a lot of other folders and junk on the SD from since when i got this phone.

i'm thinking of reformatting the SD, leaving only the Titanium Backup folder (so i can restore later on) and reinstalling CM7 again and restoring only the apps that i really use. do you think that will help?

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

Not with cell standby time.

5. flipteg

flipteg Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    he just said Cell Standby does not affect battery time.

6. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    with battery life? reformatting your sd may help you feel better about being more organized and maximizing your free space,but it in itself is going to do nothing for your battery life.

reflashing the rom prolly wont help... but definately couldnt hurt. restoring only a small number of core apps will not help either,unless one of the ones you leave off is doing some heavy auto-syncing.

i keep a shortcut to "running services" so that i can check whats runnig occasionally and stop things that dont get shut down. gingerbread by default is much,much better at controlling background processes than froyo,and using a "task killer" will likely hurt you more than help you,as alot of apps that get shut down just start right backup again,wich is thot to consume more battery than just letting them run. checking running services may help more than anything in getting your battery life in check- if you have a battery hungry app or process youll see it here frequently,possibly even if you keep shutting it down.

couple other tricks for better battery life-
    -dont allow apps to auto update in the market. if you have to manually update them,you can wait till youre in wifi,plus youll be expecting the drain that comes along with updating. if an app does a big update by itself over mobile data,youll have no clue-just notice a junk of availble battery dissapearing :eek:
    -dim the screen down as much as you are comfortable
    -keep gps off
    -use wifi as much as possible.
    -keep 4g off until you open the browser and actually want to use it. 4g uses alot more juice than 3g
    -minumize the things that auto sync or update(FB,twitter,email,etc.)

you might also try charging to 100%,wipe battery stats in recovery,then cahrge back to 100% again,and let the phone drain completely before recharging. it could be that your battery is just not being represented accurately.

you can also check setcpu for "time in state" under the info tab. this will show you how much time your processor has spent at each of its speeds. if you have mild to moderate use,youll want to see your min setting be the highest part of the graph. if youve got alot of time at max speeds,it may be time to try a different governor(ondemand seems to give me the best battery life,but others have different experineces and your mileage may vary ;))

flipteg likes this.
  7. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    You might have the wifi wakelock bug. Hang in there, they are trying to work this out. I had the same issue as flipteg last week on a different wireless router. Came back home, with Tiamat's -100 UV, MR2 and my Cisco Aironet router, and I went 14 solid hours with some 4G thrown in there (moderate/heavy use) at 36% before I hit the charger. Last week I could only go 4 or 5 hours before I went to 20+% and had to charge. Same setup other than the wireless.

Not that this is your issue, but just my particular scenarios.

scotty85 likes this.
  8. flipteg

flipteg Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    this is really terrible. yesterday i only got 11 hours with only 1 hour of screen use. before going to Gingerbread, i used to get 15 hours with 2 hours screen time constantly. and that was going down to 15%. now it dies at 11 hours. i just don't understand what's taking up all that battery. i reinstalled again from scratch from recovery clearing out all cache. i didn't reinstalled all my applications so the phone right now doesn't even have all the applications that i had installed in Froyo. since i know Froyo can get 15 hours standby/2 hours screen with all the same apps installed, plus more, this makes me believe that it can't be a rogue application using up all the battery.

i remember back then, when a rogue app uses CPU, i can feel the phone warm when i pick it up from the table. now, the phone is always cool to the touch every time i pick it up.

also, i am not just looking at battery percentage. i'm watching the actual voltages. i charge all the way to 4.2v which is 100% for this type of battery. just before it dies, it will be at 3.5v which is really pretty much empty.

9. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    wish i knew what to tell you. you defiantely have something sucking it down. im running completely stock 1.70.605.0(mr2) and i get half the battery life that i do on cm7.if i keep it on 3g,it will be dead by noon. if i leave it on 4g prolly sooner! :eek:

10. flipteg

flipteg Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    i'm thinking it might be the radio. i'm using 1.39.00.0508w. i've tried the new MR2.xx and MR2.5. really, that's the only thing that has changed going from Froyo to Gingerbread.

with Froyo, i was using i think the radio from the first RUU. that's the radio everyone was complaining of reboots. i never had problems with it so i continued using it for 4 months. really, i wouldn't even have installed a custom ROM if it weren't for those constant Verizon update notifications!

11. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    There is a stock rooted Mr2 you could run if you prefer that. It would stop your ota notifications. Flash it in recovery and its matching radios in hboot.

12. flipteg

flipteg Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    hi, what do you mean stock rooted MR2? is it just a radio or a Sense Froyo ROM? can you send me the link to the ROM and radio that you're referring to? thanks!

i just flashed another radio, 1.39.00.0627r. i will see how this one works out.

13. slimjoe

slimjoe Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    flipteg and scotty85 like this.
  14. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Yes,thank you... That's exactly way I was referring to :)

15. ahoogst

ahoogst Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    So are most of you using the rooted 605 or the recently leaked 704 with CM7 now? My first battery drained in 5.5 hours today due to high cell standby and I'm even using JD to turn off data. At least today it seems my battery drains 1% whenever data tries to reconnect with the 704.

16. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    i use the 627 or 704 radio. my cell standby is 46% at times,and again... i get 8-10 hours of extremely heavy use. i can get 20+ if i use it more normally. ive never used juice defender... i dont wonder if it causes more harm than good.

i do typically keep 4g off unless i want to web browse. 3g is fine for checking email/phandroid/xda/etc. apps.

today im running the stock mr2,and i just plugged it in with 30% remaining on battery#2. unplugged since 8am this morning :eek: cell standby is only 4%. got all my syncs set the same,not sure whats sucking it down,its bad on every sense rom i try.

seriously,i get 2-3 times the life on cm7 with high cell standby. i cant imagine why you guys have such bad luck(or such good luck with stock ;))

17. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    If you just installed the 704 radio the first few days I had it installed it seemed to drain the battery but once it got settled into the phone the battery drain settled as well.

I also don't use JD or any similar app, android is supposed to do power management on it's own I don't see a reason to undermine it;)

18. ahoogst

None

Apr 16, 2010

Crossing my fingers that today it's better. I only use JD to turn off data when the screen is off, which saved a ton of battery for me when I was on froyo das bamf with pre-MR2 radios. Also I've noticed that my 4G reception is still great but on 3g I only ever get 1 bar of reception.

19. slimjoe

slimjoe Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    If we want to get some numbers in here, using Current Widget (set to sample every 15 seconds and writing to a log), with the phone idle:

3G & wifi (radio on, no wifi connection): 40-60mA
    4G & wifi (radio on, no wifi connection): 26-48mA

That's weird though since I've always thought that the 4G radio draws more power even when it's idling but these numbers seem to indicate differently. It may be a little different though since I'm using Imoseyon's lean kernel set to normal (for the undervolt) and then SetCPU limited to a max of 1ghz (to negate the 1.4ghz OC) and the smartass governor.

According to the battery usage page, wifi and cell standby are both at 32%. Also, sidenote, is it just me or does the battery usage page only show 5 items (I'm guessing the top 5?)?

20. flipteg

flipteg Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    ok, there is definitely something in the Gingerbread ROMs that is causing my battery to be bad. i have tried CM7 1.3, installed and reinstalled CM7 1.4 multiple times. i just tried PureAOSPTheory which is supposedly a tweaked version of CM7 1.4. i have tried multiple kernels and almost all the known good radios. all combinations have been exactly the same. 11 hours with only 1 hour screen use. i have been using a battery logger that updates every 10 minutes. i have left my phone unplugged when i go to bed for the past couple of nights. when i wake up, i look at the log and it shows that the phone is drawing 90-190mAh when it was supposed to be asleep. 1350mAh battery capacity divided by ~100mA current draw per hour is equals to 13.5 hours which is inline to what i'm getting.

i also downloaded Current Widget and set it to 15 seconds refresh. i left the phone sleep for a few minutes and when i checked, it is also logging 100+mAh current draw. i do see it at 38mAh at it's lowest but it seems it is more of an exception rather than the norm.

as i said, i have tried multiple radios. the last one i have installed is the radio from the official Froyo update from the link above. still same results.

without changing the radio, i just installed the Froyo ROM (also from the link above) and when i turn the screen off, it is idling at 18-38mAh. this is with all the exact same apps and widgets, since i just backed up and restored everything with Titanium Backup going from the Gingerbread ROMs back to Froyo Sense.

at least now i know it is not any of the apps nor widgets that i use. i pretty much isolated both the ROM itself and the kernel. i don't know which is which but i'm more inclined to believe that it is the ROM since i have tried multiple kernels with different governor settings with little effect.

what's sad is, i'm back to bloated stock ROM. *sigh* at least the battery lasts. i guess i'll just wait till the official Gingerbread is released and translated to CM7.

21. ahoogst

None

Apr 16, 2010
    With Current Widget my 4G is at about 38mA as well. However the weak 3g connection is causing it to poll in the low 100s... I'll do some more testing today but if it hasn't improved ill have to flash a new radio tonight.

22. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    i am technically on th3orys AOSP(wich is built from cm source),but just for reference, with more moderate use i am currently at 16 hours and 36 min on this charge,cell standby 41% :eek: and i have 47% available.