• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7 Pre-Alpha The real one

it is incredibly smooth! only thing that kept me from leaving it on for the day was the echo-voice call thing. i could defiantely do without 4g and gps for a lil while.

back on tesla for now :( ill have to reread the xda thread... seems i saw somethin about a fix for the echo voice calls

Upvote 0
so in reading this, you need to downgrade to the older radio version first?

i did,and i would prolly reccomend it. but some folks seem to be having luck with the new radio,so nothin wrong with giving it a shot with the new ones :)

also make sure you flash the updated version( 4/26/11 - 1:46AM TEST2 TEST2 ) it has settings to toggle cdma and lte in different combos. in the later pages i read something about toggling cdm+lte/evdo 3 times or so to get 4g working,but i cant find it at the moment. it was somewhere around or upwards of page 45,i think...

Upvote 0
I asked the same thing in another thread and djkeller3 had an awesome explanation: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/322358-root-not-root.html#post2601923

Hopefully CM7 is further along by the time I root, I'd be worried about flashing a pre-alpha build but then again I've never even rooted haha.
Haha thanks. You should get rooted its awesome i was not wanting to do it either before but now that i have done it makes my slow days at work go by fast trying to find new things to do with my phone lol and being able to customize your phone even more then you alreay can and get better battery life

Upvote 0
I flashed this and I am still using the original radio. I do not get a network connection at all. I saw the XDA thread on the different radios and I downloaded the one that they thought was the most stable but I do not know to upgrade to it. Do you flash it like a rom? I don't want to break anything.

I am definitely in agreement with everyone here in the sense that the UI is very smooth and I really liked it but having no connectivity what-so-ever other than wifi is a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
I flashed this and I am still using the original radio. I do not get a network connection at all. I saw the XDA thread on the different radios and I downloaded the one that they thought was the most stable but I do not know to upgrade to it. Do you flash it like a rom? I don't want to break anything.

I am definitely in agreement with everyone here in the sense that the UI is very smooth and I really liked it but having no connectivity what-so-ever other than wifi is a deal breaker.
U put the P05IMG on ur sdcard, power off, press and hold volume dwn and press power at the same time, that will put u in bootloader and itll find the image and install it, just follow the prompts from bootloader and ur good..

Upvote 0
so i tried switching to EvDo and then back to EvDo+LTE in the phone settings menu,and tried fixing permissions. my wifi started working,but if i turn it on text messages stop sending :mad: i dont have 4g here in dayton,so i cant comment on that.

i flashed mrweeee's fix for the gps and now it seems to be working :cool:

fix/rom is here for those that havent seen it: CM7 THUNDERKANG - "I love the smell of KANG in the morning" Edition - IN CALL AUDIO! - xda-developers

my battery life was worse today than its ever been. bout 2:30 it died on me :mad: im not sure if ive got somethin set goofy,or just the lack of a screen off setcpu profile,so some combo of other things,but ill give it another shot tomoro.

lookin forward to more updates :cool:

Upvote 0
Wasn't a slam, just advice.
and good advice it was... its pretty commen knowlege that CM roms require a seperate flash of gapps,and should have been apparent of one had read thru the original post,and at least skimmed thru the thread.

not to mention that about halfway down the page you could have found the thread i linked above and not had to have asked ;)

Upvote 0
and good advice it was... its pretty commen knowlege that CM roms require a seperate flash of gapps,and should have been apparent of one had read thru the original post,and at least skimmed thru the thread.

not to mention that about halfway down the page you could have found the thread i linked above and not had to have asked ;)

Ha-ha :)

Upvote 0
Ok maybe I'm just an idiot but I've been reading xda and they say if you toggle between 4g and 3g some people are able to pick up on 4g. In the article it say go to menu>settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks> network mode and it should be there. When I got into mobile networks all I see in there is data enable, international data roaming, nation data roaming, system select, cell broadcast sms and that's it. No option for toggling between 4g and 3g in any of those options. What am I doing wrong here?

Upvote 0
I'm running the newest cm7 for Thunderbolt, an it drinks battery like a alcholic likes cheap wine!

Lol yes,it does. Badly enuff that I switched back to Tesla for a couple days. They say on the thread that the battery consumption has something to do with the "cell standby" having a high %. Figure ill go back to it when test5 is ready :)

Upvote 0
Ok maybe I'm just an idiot but I've been reading xda and they say if you toggle between 4g and 3g some people are able to pick up on 4g. In the article it say go to menu>settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks> network mode and it should be there. When I got into mobile networks all I see in there is data enable, international data roaming, nation data roaming, system select, cell broadcast sms and that's it. No option for toggling between 4g and 3g in any of those options. What am I doing wrong here?

I can't look at the setting since I'm back on Tesla,but are you on test 4? I think test 2 added the toggling options,so you need to be running that or above :)

Upvote 0
I can't look at the setting since I'm back on Tesla,but are you on test 4? I think test 2 added the toggling options,so you need to be running that or above :)
Yeah I'm running test 4 as far as I know that was the one that was last updated 4/29 if I remember correctly. Maybe I will try downloading the file again. I've been restoring CM7 from a nandroid that has the 29th as the date so I should have been test 4 but maybe I will try again.

P.S. I forgot to tell you Scotty we've got 4g over in Springfield now so I can't see Dayton being without it too much longer.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Yeah I'm running test 4 as far as I know that was the one that was last updated 4/29 if I remember correctly. Maybe I will try downloading the file again. I've been restoring CM7 from a nandroid that has the 29th as the date so I should have been test 4 but maybe I will try again.

P.S. I forgot to tell you Scotty we've got 4g over in Springfield now so I can't see Dayton being without it too much longer.

thats awsome news :cool: ill restore my cm7 backup tonight if i get a chance to. one thing i do remember was that the menu for 4g/3g wasnt in the same place as the roaming options. i think it was on the menu before that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones