• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7 to 2.2.2

alfick3

Android Expert
Feb 7, 2011
DFW, TX
So currently I am using reppards CM7 ROM. I've been thinking of using the LG upgrade tool and going to a stock 2.2.2, now that it has been rooted (see here) and then rooting it. My phone started life with 2.2, and doesn't have the constant rebooting problems that some other have had. Also it's rootable with both z4root and gingerbreak 1.2. Basically, I'm thinking of doing this for several reasons: 1) just to try it :D 2) Thinking of starting from a fresh factory ROM again. I'm sure there are others but right now I can't think of them.

I'm wondering, can I just hook up my phone as it is, and do the "upgrade" using the LG tool (I do have it down loaded and set up on my computer, though have never used it). Or, do I have to first go back to a stock 2.2 ROM. It's been several months since I first rooted and set up custom recovery, I don't know if I still have my first nand back up.

I'm looking for thoughts and ideas. Thanks in advance.

i believe you can just do the upgrade.. im not positive thoguh.. bobdamnit may ahve some insight on this

I plugged it in and then started up the upgrade tool, and it read it and said it has an upgrade available. The button to start upgrade was activated, but I didn't do it. I guess that I really don't have a fear of bricking it. I've done that (well, put it into fast boot) a couple of times and was able to unbrick it with the help of this great forum.

Upvote 0
By redo, what do you mean?
Guess I could have been a bit more specific. I updated my phone, rooted it, installed GNM recovery, nandroided, and installed CM7. Now I want to go back to the stock update, without using a nandroid.

I hooked my phone up to my computer and attempted to reapply the MS690ZV7 update. It told me my phone was already up to date. (Although, now that I think about that, it could be because I'm already running the updated stock kernel...)

Well, hope it works for you anyway lol

Upvote 0
Guess I could have been a bit more specific. I updated my phone, rooted it, installed GNM recovery, nandroided, and installed CM7. Now I want to go back to the stock update, without using a nandroid.

I hooked my phone up to my computer and attempted to reapply the MS690ZV7 update. It told me my phone was already up to date. (Although, now that I think about that, it could be because I'm already running the updated stock kernel...)

Well, hope it works for you anyway lol

Ah, I understand now. So you have CM7 with the updated kernel?

Upvote 0
Ah, I understand now. So you have CM7 with the updated kernel?
Yes, and sadly, I'm still plagued with force closes and reboots. Tripdoc thinks its because we never pulled the config from stock and applied it to CM7, so thats the next agenda.

I'm working on getting the config file he needs, and while I was working I figured I'd upload the stock ROM for everyone. (Which does indeed stop the force closing/rebooting issue.)

Upvote 0
Ok. I'm doing it. It's about 25% done right now. I've got the white screen on my phone that says S/W Upgrade Do Not Unplug and the metroPCS and LG logos on my phone right now. Here's to hoping that all goes well.

Edit: All done. I did the upgrade and it's all good to go at 2.2.2 now. It didn't want to reboot at first; it was boot looping. However, I pulled the battery and after putting it back in I did the reboot into recovery (home, vol dn and power keys until I saw the recovery screen) and it did a factory reflash. This time it did boot (immediately after the LG upgrade was done and it did the reboot, I was still seeing the modified boot animation, but after doing the factory refresh with the recovery buttons I got the standard Android boot animation). Now it's onto rooting. :D

Upvote 0
I followed this thread here and am now rooted. The first thing I did was to go to the market and download ROM Manager. I then flashed the CWM recovery. It worked! After following the linked thread, I had GNM's recovery, and now I have CWM. It's time to ROM my phone. I plan on using the latest kelso ROM for 2.2.2. Now that I know it all works, I will do this on my wife's phone.

Upvote 0
I used the Lg update tool on my girls stock not rooted om, worked like a charm. After the first reboot i niticed that none if her user data (contacts, texts, logged calls, etc) was changed, the only thing that changed was the kernal version like it was suppose to. My question is while im running cm7 will it revert me back to stock? Or will it just change kernal versio? And why didnt my girls phone get reset with the tool? Just wondering is all, thanks

Upvote 0
I used the Lg update tool on my girls stock not rooted om, worked like a charm. After the first reboot i niticed that none if her user data (contacts, texts, logged calls, etc) was changed, the only thing that changed was the kernal version like it was suppose to. My question is while im running cm7 will it revert me back to stock? Or will it just change kernal versio? And why didnt my girls phone get reset with the tool? Just wondering is all, thanks

Yes, if you are running CM7 it will revert you back to stock. I did that today, on purpose. As far as the other questions, I'm not sure.

Reactions: Misleadb4
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones