• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
:(. If that is what is messing up my navigation, I may need to return to stock. I travel a lot for work and gps seems to fail just when I need it most.

You don't necessarily need to return to stock. xtrROM and xtrSENSE are both close enough to stock to (probably) have the same good Nav, as well as xtrRCMix, PlainJaneT2, etc. Also, you may want to try Vanilla 2.0.4, which is not CyanogenMod based, but pure AOSP (Android Open Source Project.) Also, something like Tainted Tenzo would probably be fine; Evil Eris, etc. Unfortunately for Navigator users, all of the stable Froyo ROMs (that I know of) are CM ROMs.

Upvote 0
seems if you travel for work,a good dash mounted GPS is a good investent. I deliver auto parts for a living and use my magellen GPS 95% of the time when navigation is needed.

on occasion they will mess the adress up on the tickets,so ill locate the place via different means on my phone(white pages,yellow book,places,old fashioned google search) and then route directly from it.

the other situation where id use my phone navaigation instead of my magellen is simply if im out somewhere in a different vehicle and dont have it :eek:

ive never had to navigate for much more than an hour,so i honestly cant comment that the cm6 roms would hold the signial for 6 hours. i CAN honestly say that the cm6 roms navigation and GPS have done what i needed them to very well- wich is navigate for short periods of time.

ive navigated from colombus to dayton,wich was an hour and 15 minutes,maybe a little more? it had no prollems doing that.

Upvote 0
seems if you travel for work,a good dash mounted GPS is a good investent. I deliver auto parts for a living and use my magellen GPS 95% of the time when navigation is needed.

I have a Garmin, but haven't had the maps updated recently. I travel by plane and then rent a car, so I really don't want to bring 2 devices when one will do. If I'm in my own car, I always know where I'm going.

Upvote 0
I have a Garmin, but haven't had the maps updated recently. I travel by plane and then rent a car, so I really don't want to bring 2 devices when one will do. If I'm in my own car, I always know where I'm going.

It really seems to be luck of the draw on whether or not it will hold. I, for one, did not have much issue with CM6 as far as dropping GPS lock, but I didn't use it everyday either and when I did use it was usually for short periods of time (eg. 30-40 minutes). On CM5 I lost lock any time I ever stopped for any more than 40-50 seconds and it would take me 10 minutes to get it back on.

Upvote 0
I just found my first issue: Dropbox downloads will not finish. I was trying to download a 94 MB file, and it stuck at 12 MB (the furthest it got - the previous attempt was 6 MB). Checking System Panel and the Dropbox process was no longer running.

Might be a problem with autokiller? Anyway.....I tried out Tazz's version for a while today, and I have to say that I really like it. I forgot about my bnet authenticator though, so I had to nand back to my last rom :(

Upvote 0
Might be a problem with autokiller? Anyway.....I tried out Tazz's version for a while today, and I have to say that I really like it. I forgot about my bnet authenticator though, so I had to nand back to my last rom :(

It could be, but I had Autokiller settings set pretty conservatively, so it would leave 30 MB free. And I'd think that, with these settings, Android would have closed Tweetdeck - a background app without a server component - before it closed an actively downloading app.

Whichever, I'm away from GB for the time-being. Right now I'm trying out Tainted Tenzo (a 2.1 ROM), but if I go back, I'll go back to CELB Froyo - that runs like a rock for me, and feels faster than GB so far. And, honestly, I think that I prefer the UI of stock Froyo anyway - white status bar and notification bar, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones