• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root cm9 battery life

phw8558

Android Expert
Aug 18, 2011
Kalamazoo
Forgive me if this has been addressed already. I just flashed cm9 rc1 to my cousin's phone and he likes it a lot but the battery drains FAST. Also before it got below ten percent it died. Known issue? Fix? I thought cm tended to have good battery life.

Also do you guys have a MIUI ics Rom? Thanks!

I'm on RC1 and my battery life is fantastic. YMMV because everyone uses their phones differently, with different settings, different apps, different coverage areas, and different behaviors. I think it's horrid to judge a rom's battery life right after you flash to a new one. Lord knows he probably used his phone a hell of a lot more playing around with the new rom and just doesn't want to admit to how hard he's pushing it. I notice too many who do this. They'll hardly put the phone down then complain that it died in 6hrs, though their screen on time is nearly 3hrs. I regularly get a day or two on cm9 depending on usage and the signal strength of the area I'm in.

Reactions: phw8558
Upvote 0
I'm on RC1 and my battery life is fantastic. YMMV because everyone uses their phones differently, with different settings, different apps, different coverage areas, and different behaviors. I think it's horrid to judge a rom's battery life right after you flash to a new one. Lord knows he probably used his phone a hell of a lot more playing around with the new rom and just doesn't want to admit to how hard he's pushing it. I notice too many who do this. They'll hardly put the phone down then complain that it died in 6hrs, though their screen on time is nearly 3hrs. I regularly get a day or two on cm9 depending on usage and the signal strength of the area I'm in.

Thanks for the input. Lol, that is completely the reason it drained so fast to begin with because he was playing on it for a straight 2 hours (at least). But then within about 5 mins I saw it drop from 24% to 14% (apprx., + or - some) and then died before even going the last 10%. I told him to reboot and keep an eye on it till tomorrow, so we will see.

Upvote 0
Um.... sometimes phones that have been flashed get a battery miscalibration and won't show correct battery charge,
Let phone charge 100% and go to recovery menu. Reset battery stats

Incorrect. The batterystats.bin is a text file that stores information about what consumes battery through a charge. This information is presented to the user under settings/battery. This file in no way affects battery consumption, battery reading, or anything to do with the charge/discharge of the battery other than showing you those statistics. Also, Lithium Ion batteries have no memory and therefor can in no way possible be "calibrated". Brand new Lithium Ion batteries are suggested to be put through 1-3 full charge/discharge cycles in order to work in the cells so that they are capable of their maximun voltage capacity on a charge.

All of this information/mis-information has been covered in detail publicly by one of Google's own top engineers.

Reactions: pcorlatan
Upvote 0
Mis-information is easily spread widely over the internet.

Either way, now you know how it works.

Orange members are developers who have established themselves.

That and my ascend did the same thing in '10 and that was the advice that seemed to help. Went from 6hr standby to almost 8 overclocked as much as possible.

Upvote 0
Orange members are developers who have established themselves.

That and my ascend did the same thing in '10 and that was the advice that seemed to help. Went from 6hr standby to almost 8 overclocked as much as possible.

Oh I'm sorry. I guess developers couldn't possibly be wrong. Not to mention they know worlds more than a top engineer of one of the largest companies out there, that "builds" the os we're all running, and went to college for years for the shit they're talking about, and here I am relaying information I know to be true. (Edited for business/employment related reasons)

Let me try this again. That file you deleted, is deleted each time you reach full charge and is nothing but a text based file that displays information under settings about battery usage. So why don't you and your recognized developers explain how it's possible that deleting it manually, or having it deleted at all, can affect battery life in any way?

Those "recognized developers" of yours should probably retire their hobby, as they don't know their shit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones